Wind Mit Doors

If you inspect a home built after the code changed ( 1994 MDC , 2002 FBC) and everyting has shutters, garage dr is certified, but the front or side dr does not have the docs, how are you guys calling this? It would not have been permitted without an NOA, so…

If there is no stamp on the door(s) indicating they are hurricane rated then they are NOT. If there is no protection for the doors then they are NOT. Remember, only report what you see, not what you think.

Hey Nick,

It is sad sometimes when everthing is there but the doors kill it. I have seen this many times…Report what you see best of luck…

Depends what county. HVHZ- Technically should meet. You have to prove it, or not. What type of door is it?

Any homeowner can change anything at anytime even before the current owner owns it. No proof no credit is my opinion.

These are HVHZ homes and original doors. Metal, opening out, with all the characteristics, but no docs on site.

What proof do you have they are original?

This is just like a fire door that has had the label painted over or missing… If you can not read it and prove it is real then it does not exist…

Often, the building department will have the permit packet containing NOA’s in archive. The homeowner will provide evidence if it is worth it to them. Your job is to collect the data that is readily available, anything further is worthy of an extra fee.

When this type of situation happens the burden of proof is on the homeowner to prove that the mitigating device meets the criteria on the form as Dennis says above.

No sticky no credit

By this standard everyone gets ______d. How things have changed.

What if some creative homeowner decided to get scans of all of the stickers and affix them to the doors?:wink:

They would get the credit BUT be guilty of insurance fraud. :smiley:

We are NOT Mitigation Investigators, we are Inspectors! We report what we see only. If the HO can supply us with what we need to prove whatever then OK, otherwise it is NOT incumbent on us as INSPECTORS to say anything different than what WE SEE. For what we get paid, there’s a limit to how far we should go to patronize the HO or ins company. We can NEVER be wrong for reporting what we see but we can be liable for what we interpret for anyone can interpret anything different. Don’t maybe liable yourselfs trying to get a bigger discount for the HO. It’s not worth it.

It is funny though. I was at a door supply company one day and he told me the doors he sells in Palm Beach County are the same doors he sells in Broward and Miami…only difference is the stricker. He pulled a whole roll of them out of his desk and said “this is what I stick on them before they go, not required for Palm Beach”.

Probably easy for people to get one of those stickers for a door that doesnt comply.

Years ago we would pull bldg plans, stand in line at the bldg departments to have the clerk look up the permits. Then the price was $150 and we did research to help get the homeowners discounts. Since the economy went bad and the construction died, people trying to feed their their families started getting into the mit inspections. Flyers were being faxed to the agents, newsletters went on massive emails and the price war started. Now at $75, it has become the homeowners responsibility to show the inspector compliance. The old, sick, fixed income and average hard working americans will suffer again as the level of service is reduced. Every business school in this country teaches customer service, total quality management and continuous improvement. These are scary times for all, what will the future be. We need to stick together and start helping each other. I do free inspections for the hardship cases. I have seen the tears in old widows eyes as they cried. The ill, the handicapped and the unemployed are not able to sustain an insurance rate increase because the inspector takes the easy route. Take the time to help.

There are services out there that have a data base of all (most areas) permits. We use it and have good luck with it. If you do a lot of inspections a month it is worth the money and saves a lot of time. $75 or even $125 for a wind mitigation inspection is a small price to pay no matter how much you make when you think about the insurance savings.

What was put there originally does not matter.