Wind Mit Form Building Code question.

Just looking to settle an argument. Isn’t the intent of Section 1. (Bldg. Code:) intended to use the A. and B. answers ONLY for homes outside the HVHZ and built 2001 and later or built 94 or later and inside the HVHZ?

With that in mind , all homes outside HVHZ and built prior to 2001 would be checked as C. Unknown or does not meet the requirements of A or B.

That is correct except that, for A, the application date for the original building permit is used and must be after 03/01/2002. This is why a permit must be included if the date is close to the start of FBC or SFBC (Can’t just use the year built date on the appraisal site). For B, the application date must be on or after 09/01/1994.

To answer your question, all homes outside the HVHZ built prior to 03/01/2002, not 2001, would be checked as C.

My understanding from talking to insurance agents in this area is that if the home was built under the 2001 code, there is very little discount available. Does anyone know if that is not correct?

Do not worry yourself with what gets what.

Do not try to speak for the insurance companies. You may give out misinformation.

Just fill out the form as accurately as possible and have them ask their agents what = what.

That way you will NEVER be wrong :slight_smile:

1 Like

Meeker said it best. We inspect/report as accurately as possible. Underwriters bind the policy and apply discounts as they deem appropriate per the OIR guidelines.

yes, you are correct.

Yes and no. Their agent will be able to advise. Depends on the underwriter. Many of the premium reductions are granted based on the 2001 building code. :slight_smile:

Seeing many more post 2002 homes needing a Wind Mit.

Actually Jay,
I have had two clients recently that got the permit application dates from the building department, and got their discounts once they proved the homes were build after March 2002.

I just had a customer that had a wind mit I did almost five years ago on the 2 page form and the insurance company wanted a notarized letter stating that the home was all concrete block, which it was and was clearly visible in pictures from the home inspection report. I looked up the permit date and it was June 2003.

Robert, that is somewhat incorrect. The discounts are fixed variables and there are 2 different flowcharts used in determining discounts depending on if the house is pre or post FBC/SFBC. Based on the flowchart released by the OIR, when a house is built to SFBC, or FBC, the following discounts get nulled out: (roof cover, roof deck, and roof deck attachment) and 1 overall credit % is given which is actually a bit more than a Non FBC/SFBC house would get for having the strongest features in these 3 categories. The form would still need to be filled out to get the hip roof credit, swr, and opening protection credit. It’s good for the client in areas outside the HVHZ where opening protection wasn’t mandated until later revisions of the code as the insured’s don’t really need to pay for a wind mitigation inspection. The theory behind this as Jay said is to automatically recognize the increased strength of the FBC/SFBC.

As Glen points out, there are factors and issues outside of what we write on an 1802. The agent will be the best source for this info.
Case in point, if they can only get additional deductions for roof shape and shutters. Both of which they obviously don’t have or can’t qualify for, why get a wind mit ? In addition, agents work on commision, some may wish to keep the premium a little higher.

And there you have it…

***agents work on commision, some may wish to keep the premium a little higher. ***

You are right and I HAVE BEEN SAYING THAT FOR YEARS.

The other side of that is frequent agent/client turn over. When home owners start shopping around for prices, new agents see the lack of certian credits as an opportunity to offer better rates. The free market at work.

Outside the HVHZ the build permit must be on or after 03-01-2002.
Otherwise select 1C.
:cowboy_hat_face:

2 Likes

Thx…I was just confusing myself reading the first sentence on the form.

1 Like