One for the Wind Mit Gurus

Garage side door - Fabric panel installed to cover the glazing on the window - the remainder of the door remains unprotected…

Is this now an NON-glazed opening that is not protected? Or is it still considered a GLAZED opening that is unprotected?

063.JPG

063.JPG

Good question. This has come up several times, and all I can say is that the position of the insurance carriers AND most AHJ’s, is that this is still considered an unprotected glazed door. The storm panel must be attached to the wall for it to count.

Correct! The remainder part if the door is non impact, think of it like on the garage door you see the hurricane post. Protects the door from blowing in but does not make it Large Missile Impact.

So on this the glass is protected but the door is still non impact.

No doubt it is not protected - the question is whether it is a glazed or non-glazed opening…

Not quite. The glazing is still not protected in the eyes of the AHJ. I would think it would now be an unprotected non-glazed door, so I’m not completely in full agreement with this, but it is what it is.

That is how I am viewing it too - but the client had a previous Wind Mit that stated all GLAZED opening were protected…

Sorry Richard over read your question. I would place it as a non rated door and explain in writing with the form.

Did anyone read the tag?

Why would there be a storm panel on an impact rated door…

Hence my question - I can see argument either way…Now add that there is a doggie door …

Pet doors are considered a glazed opening. I only exempt very small glass openings in doors, which are less than 3" in diameter.

I agree about the pet door - Interesting question about the other opening that I thought worth discussing. - Thanks for your input!!

It’s a glazed opening no matter what. You cant change that fact. Mark what it is. Just because the modified it, it still remains a glazed opening.

A glazed opening that is not(properly) protected.

What would the difference bwe if those were panels instead of a screen. The end result would be the same. Doors are tested as a unit / system.

Another question. Exterior door is replaced with an impact rated door, but the frame was not replaced. Are you going to mark that door as imipact rated or not?

Glazed opening “X”.
The entire “opening” must be protected.
I hate when I get them & there’s push back from the owner or agent.

I take the position that both aspects of the door must be impact rated. What I have seen, the glass has the NOA codes but the installer has removed the door sticker. If the owner has the documentation showing the ratings, I take photos of the docs and include them with my pics and mark off A or B on the form. I leave it to the insurance carrier to challenge if they wish to do so.

Per my conversations with insurance agents. Treat the door frame like a window frame. For an impact window to be rated impact the glazing and frame work together to give the rating. Same as a door. covering the glazing only disqualifies the rating as the door itself is not rated.

Couldn’t agree more!

First and foremost, in 20 years of designing, installing, testing , and manufacturing I have NEVER consulted with an “insurer” on when/where impact protection would be required or how it was to be installed. This needs to stop! Insurers are not the experts in construction, that’s supposed to be the inspector. If you keep making the insurer the expert, who needs an inspector?

The storm panel must be attached to the wall for it to count”.

This is false. I have designed many systems that were attached to a door and/or other assembly. Actually, there is an approved window assembly that comes with hurricane shutters installed to the framework of the window. The “wall” is not the only approved attachment. Many of the systems we installed were custom and would only be verifiable through a visit to the AHJ. On all custom installations, I would engineer the design, send it to our Engineer, and he would verify and sign the document. We submitted this information with the permit application and were good to go.

Also, hurricane shutters are not required to cover the “complete opening”. This is detailed in most shutter approvals, an exposure at the edge of ¼” is allowed. Also allowed is for the shutter system to “overlap” 1.5 times the distance from the substrate and still be an approved installation even with a gap at the edge between the substrate and the panel.

A glazed opening that is not(properly) protected

You cannot determine this from a picture, it would take a visit to the AHJ to verify if this is an approved type of opening protection. How many times do you inspect a non-glazed front door that has an attached sidelite with a single hurricane shutter panel and top/bottom mounted track system just covering the sidelite? We used to install hundreds if not thousands of them. If the structure is located within a zone that does not require the “non-glazed openings” to be protected, then only the glazing needs to be protected with a sidelite installation.

The AHJ has the ability to approve installations that are shown to meet the minimum requirements of the building code. This is called a “local approval”. There may be information available at the building department that shows this design and installation is approved. When submitting state approved products, the AHJ must accept it without requiring further testing, evaluation, or documentation. But, they do have the authority to provide “local approvals” only and are required to offer this option. Hence, there is no mandate for “state” product approval in the law or the rule. You must have a “approval”, but it is not required to be a state approval.

The minimum separation requirements for testing would be determined by the location of the structure and testing standard used to achieve approval. The testing for NOA and PA is very different when it comes to shutters. NOA considers the opening and glazing for deflection, you cannot damage the glazing during impact testing for HVHZ. PA only considers the size of the opening produced when struck, damage to the glazing is not considered.

In the end, you must go to the AHJ to determine if this is or is not an approved design. I would suggest contacting the manufacturer of the door or protective covering, that would make it short and simple. They should be able to tell, or at least guide you, in the process of determining if it is acceptable or approved installation.