Wind Mit Question

The roof deck is 3/4 inch x 10 inch planks. The nailing is 5 each 1 and 1/2 inch staples. What is the uplift resistance?

C is Dimensional lumber/Tongue & Groove decking with a minimum of ***2 nails ***per board.

Your answer should be E other. unless you are an professional engineer and can prove other wise.

Hope that helps

Got Nails? Nope not here:p

What if a team of professional engineers has already done the work for you!? Check this out and let me know what you think of it, Page 35 the 2nd table. http://www.isanta.org/ESR-1539_corrected_Oct_09.pdf

Depending on the gauge of staple, he many only need 2, 3, or 4 per board to meet the equivalent of an 8d common nail spaced at 4 to 6 inches O.C.

Keven,

That is great info. But John had the correct answer. Form 1802 is an objective form rather than subjective so you are not allowed to use construction knowledge or for that matter common sense just report what is there. If it is not an 8d nail then it is other. Another crappy example is a roof attached to the structure with a Simpson HC-10 clip. That attachment exceeds the uplift capacity of any single strap on the market and has 3x the lateral restraint but because it does not wrap over the top and attach to the opposite face of the truss it is considered a clip. remember it is an Insurance Inspection not a code or sound engineering inspection

Thanks, I appreciate the input.

Mark re-read the answer “C” for question 3 the second part after the “OR” goes beyond 8D nails and states "any system of screws, nails,adhesives, or other deck fastening system or truss/ rafter spacing that has an equivalent mean uplift resistance of 182 psf. So if you can document an uplift value of at least 182 psf then it would meet the argument. Not saying it would be an easy task, but it is allowable.

As far as the differences between straps and clips go, the difference in the discount available is usually fairly small. In fact, if memory serves me the difference is so small that the Oir’s consultant on the 1802 form has recommended combining clips, single wraps and douple wraps into one catagory called something like metal attachement or something like that.