Wind mitigation form Item #2

I interput item #2 on the new wind mitigation form requires the predominant roof covering to meet the 2001 Florida Building Code or 1994 South Florida Building Code AND any of the NOA’s, product approvals and tests listed in order to meet the highest rating for box A. The problem I’m running into is when a permit is provided for a roof installed complying with the 2001 Florida Building Code or 1994 South Florida Building Code but nobody can provide the NOA’s, product approvals or testing required I have to mark box B (Does not meet the above requirements) or box C (Unkown or undetermined).
I have not been able to get a clear determination from anyone if a copy of a building permit ONLY is acceptable without the NOA’s, product approvals or tests.
Has anyone else run across this problem?

Charlie Wagner
Wagner Inspection Services, Inc.
wagnerinspection@bellsouth.net

If it was a permited roof installed after the 2001/1994 building codes, you should be rating it as meeting the noa approval.

No permit, no approval.

No permit, no approval without documents that every installed item was noa approved.

At least thats my understanding. Good luck.

:mrgreen: The form states OR not AND. Point that out to anyone who complains.

That is exactly what the insurance companies wanted with the new form. This new form is all about limiting discounts instead of giving credit where it is due IMHO. I fell for you guys. I wouldn’t touch the new form with a 10 ft pole. I have a feeling that we will see a lot of contractors getting into trouble in the near future with this new form. The sad part is that you have a license to lose.

whose on first?

Folks here are having trouble finding anyone that will do the Wind Mitigation inspections since the new form came out. If anyone has read it and read between the lines and ferreted out all the nonsense they would come to the same conclusion Greg, I and most others have. It was designed with one thing in mind; to deny the discounts any way they can. This thing has more loops and vague statements. Like taking a MIssissippi DUI test. I wouldn’t do one now either for twice the money. I have had calls from Realtors asking me to explain it to them and tell me clients can’t get credits when they know the roof was less than 3 years old. Thousands of homes got new roofs after the hurricanes and the counties were waiving all kinds of normal requirements to expedite folks getting their roof on before the next round of rainstorms. Typical goat roping.

Mission accomplished.

Hey Charlie,

This question is all about the permit and the permit process. The Permit is the proof of NOA.

If a permit was pulled for the roof, the contractor had to present the NOA for permit approval. The permit should not have been issued without presenting the NOA documentation. Below is a straight from Broward County’s Roof permit Application:

• All roofing work done shall be in accordance with the [FONT=Helvetica,Helvetica][size=2]Dade County and State of Florida Notices of Acceptance and Roof Application Standards (R.A.S.).[/size]
    [/FONT] - Other components such as roof vents must have **[FONT=Helvetica,Helvetica][size=2]Notices of Acceptance **[/size]
    [/FONT]at time of permit.
    Just like any permited work, archetictural drawings, site plans, and product approval codes, are required before permits are issued.

If in doubt, call your local building department and ask them if proof of NOA is required for a roof permit.

If a permit was pulled and the roof passed inspection, you should mark box A. That is why the form requires a roof permit issue date or completion date.

Hope this helps.

Reliance on code enforcement approval may or may not be the required due diligence an inspector will need to prove if brought before a judge on this issue. Good luck! I got more questions than answers.

I agree that the form leaves more questions than answers. Especially with regards to shutters and nail patterns.

But on this point, (approval codes for permitted roofs) you have to give them the credit that matches the permit they were issued.

Anything else would be negligent to the client who is paying for the inspection and payed for the new roof and permit.