Wind Mitigation Strap Question

Wind Mitigation Form 1802 says to be considered a single wrap strap it has to be a “Metal connector consisting of a single strap that wraps over the top of the truss/rafter …”. It doesn’t say it necessarily has to be wrapped over the top of the top chord of the truss. I have several cantilevered trusses on which the top chords are out of reach of the strap, but are wrapped over the bottom chord and properly nailed. The question is, can the connector be wrapped over the bottom chord and still get a single wrap strap designation if properly nailed, or does it only get a clip designation on the wind mitigation form?

It would be a single wrap strap

No!

To get the single wrap credit, the strap has to go over the top of the top chord of the truss, sorry mate you can only get a credit for a clip, at best, on that one!

1 Like

Do you have any more pictures?

That doesn’t look like a bearing point to me, the 2-by is toe nailed and constructed of the wrong material…

I agree with Dennis.

BUT

I just looked at your picture and do not see a nail coming thru the other side. Is it nailed on the other side or just bent over?
Bent over and NOT nailed with 3 nails would be a clip.

…it’s a screw, not a nail.

It’s a screw and nails:p The photo looks like the back side of the strap…drywaller had to snip the end of it off to hang the sheetrock. Both sides need to be submitted along with an overall shot to show the cantilever. Otherwise the underwriter will kick it back and say it is an intermediate bearing point. I agree with Robert as the upright web shown is not part of the original truss.

Need more photos to determine what the underwriter will accept.

I disagree. Where does anything say it must go over the top cord?

[FONT=TimesNewRomanPSMT][size=2] Single Wraps
Metal connectors consisting of a single strap that wraps over the top of the truss/rafter and is secured with a
minimum of 2 nails on the front side and a minimum of 1 nail on the opposing side.
[/size][/FONT]

**[FONT=Times New Roman][size=2] Minimal conditions to qualify for categories B, C, or D. All visible metal connectors are:
[/size][/FONT] ������ [FONT=TimesNewRomanPSMT][size=2]Secured to truss/rafter with a minimum of three (3) nails, [/size][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][size=2]and
**[/size][/FONT]

The truss is cantilevered about 8 feet over the front entry porch. The connector in the photo has a screw on the back side which was put there by a local wind mitigation retrofit contractor after I found a number of connectors with only 2 nails. The rest of the house looked fine after the retrofitting accept for over the front porch which raised the original question. I don’t have any better photos to show the cantilever from inside of the attic at this time, but the photo is over the exterior wall. However, after all these meaningful and appreciated replies I will make sure I take more interior and exterior photos of the cantilevered area in question to help make it more clear to the underwriters when I update and resubmit the post retrofit wind mitigation report. Of course, both sides of multiple straps will also be shown.

Thanks to all for your great comments and help! I believe I will submit the connector as a strap, but mention that the straps are wrapped over the bottom chord at the cantilevered wall so the underwriters can make the appropriate call.

I don’t want you to take this the wrong way as you seem like a nice enough guy…but. You are the professional here, you are trained and licensed through the state and listed as qualified on the form to complete it. In no way shape or form should the information you supply need to be interpreted by a person neither qualified and/or trained to fill out the form or understand the forms intent…that’s why you are being paid.

In taking payment for those services you deem yourself competent and knowledgeable in construction techniques to the point of being able to make an educated and proper opinion on the qualifying attributes listed in that form…nothing less.

Remember, nobody forced you to fill it out…

Hope I didn’t ruin your night…just something to think about :wink:

And I am sure if that was a retrofit you have permits and an engeering report stating that it now complies with the uplift requirement

Right in the description!
“Metal connector consisting of a single strap that wraps over the top of the truss/rafter”
If it doesn’t go over the top of the top chord, then the only thing providing uplift resistance is the joining plate, or in this case, a bloody toe-nail!

My eyes are going you are correct Sir :slight_smile:

the 3rd or more nail has to come from the other side.

Wrong…

Are you saying that 2 of at least 3 are not required on the front side?

Not on a clip…

Because of screw?