Wind Mitigation Window Question

Is it possible to tell wether an Impact resistant window is rated for small or large missle impact from the ANSI stamp? ie. ANSI Z97.1-1984?

Reece,

I did some Internet research and I believe that number is only for safety glass not impact glass. I believe but am not sure that the safety glass is heat tempered and the impact stuff is a laminate.

Please let us know if you find out for sure.

I am clearly not an authority but my guess (it’s free!!) is that is more of a material spec or manufacturing process- meaning it doesn’t take into acct how thick are the pane(s) nor the frame/seal… like QQA 250/5 is spec number for a sheet of 2024 t3 aluminum but if you order one you still need to tell them the size and thickness- Does the frame tell you the manufacturer and model? Does the customer have any paperwork?
This I cut and pasted…

Products that have been certified by Miami-Dade will possess a certification sticker that states, “Miami-Dade approved”. If there is no sticker, ask to see documentation of the certification. Miami-Dade provides an online list of products it has certified. Go to www.miamidade.gov. Search for “Approved products.”

My wife is an insurance agent and has been having big problems with windows during the last few months- these have had many forms but the current one is the underwriter (Universal, I believe) denied the window credit because the picture didn’t show the decal. She is still fighting for this one so too soon to tell if she willl get the credit for her client yet but this shows that the insurance companies dont like to give these credits…

Don’t ‘decals’ kinda wreck the point in having a window in the first place?

Wonder if the underwriter still has the window sticker on his/her car?

IMHO, I believe the thinking is just like your assurance of the proper shingle is being used, If the windows were installed on a permit and inspected/ approved after 2002 then the local building inspector has taken responsibility to ensure that “If you live in a building where doors and windows are located 30 feet or less above grade (e.g. above ground level) then the products must pass the large-missile test. If the doors and windows are more than 30 feet from the ground then they must be either large or small missile compliant.” No Permit or building inspector? >Unknown

Check for impact glass with a laser or flashlight…look for 3 reflections in the glass, one from each piece of glass and one from the PVC impact layer.

Not sure. The proper way to tell is to get either the Miami-Dade n.o.a. or the fl product approval. That will tell you what the window is rated for. If it doesn’t have either, chances are the insurance company will not accept it.

the stamp on the glazing is only enough to certify the glazing. You need to verify the rating of the entire opening protection device; including frame and all…Get the NOA

You beat me to it Dennis, there were quite a few windows out there with high impact glass in the not rated frames. No sticker on the frame, no credit