Go Back   InterNACHI Inspection Forum > Inspection Education Topics > Student Discussions

Notices

Student Discussions This is a forum for discussing InterNACHI's Inspection Courses.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 6/22/17, 8:34 PM
InterNACHI Member

Fifteen tools that every homeowner should have, a plunger, a combination wrench set, a pair of slip joint pliers, an adjustable wrench, a caulking gun, a flashlight, a tape measure, a hacksaw, a torpedo level, a pair of safety glasses, a claw hammer, a screwdriver set, a pair of wire cutters, a respirator safety mask and a roll of duct tape.

Need a home inspection in Minnesota? Check out InterNACHI's listing of Minnesota certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 6/22/17, 9:17 PM
InterNACHI Staff

Default Re: "25 Standards Every Inspector Should Know" course

We have updated a page in the course with a new illustration related to the attic access: http://www.education.nachi.org/show....lement_id=1170

BEN GROMICKO
Director of Education
Live home inspection classes (free & online)

Last edited by bgromicko; 6/22/17 at 9:21 PM..
Old 6/22/17, 9:24 PM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI)

There should be adequate clearance around the service panel. The reason for this is to allow for safe clearance from live components. The area is comprised of at least 3 feet in front, at least 30 inches wide in front of the panel, and at least six and a half feet in work space height.

Old 6/22/17, 9:42 PM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI)

Asphalt-saturated felt paper is one of the most common roofing underlayments. In low slope roofs, such as those between 2:12 and 4:12, the felt paper should be overlapped by at least nineteen inches. This provides a double layer of underlayment across the roof.

Old 6/22/17, 9:47 PM
InterNACHI Member

So I have chose to talk about the Vent through the roof for the water heater. I have learned that by code it is required to seal the joint at the roof penetration most people will just seal around the roof jack where the pipe goes through. This is acceptable but it is a maintenance item instead of installing a rain cap that dosen't have to be maintained a much better installation.

Old 6/23/17, 2:38 AM
InterNACHI Member

In the attached photo I have observed that some shingles have been raised and this could be due to high winds, or inadequate fastening. This could lead to water intrusion and continued damage and deterioration of the shingles themselves. Reccomend speaking to a licensed roofer for repair.

Old 6/23/17, 2:42 AM
InterNACHI Member

I read the article titled bathroom ventilation ducts and fans. I learned the importance of the system and the components needed for a properly working unit. The two most important being the function of the fans and the termination of the vents to the exterior of the home. Hazards can be deadly due to mold and lint build up in attic spaces or bathrooms.

Old 6/23/17, 7:01 AM
InterNACHI Member

I have learned alot about aluminum wiring. I didnt know they had a special crimp tool that is designed to be used to add a piece of copper wire to the ends of aluminum wire so it can be terminated into a device like a switch or a receptacle. And that aluminum wire was most popular between 1967-1973. Aluminum wiring can be a fire hazard if it is not repaired or installed correctly using certain manufactures repair material. It is very important. Its not as simple as installing a wire nut although there are some products out there that are listed by UL to be proven. You still have to keep an eye on these terminations and splices because with voltage and current running through the wire it causes vibration which is know to cause the termination to become loose.

Old 6/23/17, 8:25 AM
InterNACHI Member

During a recent inspection of a hot water heater, the TPR valve and drain line were improperly routed as shown in the picture. As we all know, the TPR valve drain line works through gravity and will need to be rerouted.

Old 6/23/17, 10:33 AM
InterNACHI Member

This was a garage attic access with a 36" x 30" opening. This home had amble space to enter the attic, no pull down ladder and no cover to close the space. The flooring material in the attic was 3/4" plywood in good condition, easy access to the furnace unit.

Old 6/23/17, 11:24 AM
InterNACHI Member

Lavatory inspection: The connections all look good with no signs of corrosion or leakage. The p-trap appears to be in good condition. The sink stopper works and drainage is adequate. Sink overflow is in place. Water flow is adequate when shower is running and toilet is flushed.

Old 6/23/17, 11:32 AM
InterNACHI Member

Ceiling fan inspection: I knew that ceiling fans must have a minimum clearance of 7 feet from the floor surface but I learned that downward circulation is maximized at 8 to 9 feet. Commercial fans have 3 blades while residential have 4 or 5 blades.

Old 6/23/17, 12:23 PM
Student Inspector

I Inspected the dryer vent on this roof. The main problem with it was that it had a screen instead of a backdraft damper. The airflow was almost completely stopped from all the lint and debris caught in the screen.

Need a home inspection in Minnesota? Check out InterNACHI's listing of Minnesota certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 6/23/17, 12:25 PM
InterNACHI Member

The flexible drain installed at the kitchen sink drain is not approved because debris and soap can become trapped by the corrugated folds, obstructing proper drainage and resulting in water damage due to sink overflow besides presenting a health hazard to occupants. I recommend replacing any flexible drain line piping with approved smooth surface waste line fittings.

Old 6/23/17, 12:29 PM
Student Inspector

Infrared pictures. I looked at the infrared pictures and it really shows what a great tool the IR camera would be for home inspections. It would make explaining devices overheating or heat losses and gains to the client much easier.