Go Back   InterNACHI Inspection Forum > >

Notices

Student Discussions This is a forum for discussing InterNACHI's Inspection Courses.

Old 1/20/19, 3:52 PM
InterNACHI Applicant

Inspection & Writing Assignment:

The basement bathroom basin has an s-trap drain. The basin drain trap should be a p-trap. Drain trap is in need of correction for proper drainage and to prevent loss of seal due to siphoning of the water in drain trap. Drain trap seal is needed to prevent dangerous drain gases from entering living spaces.

25 Standards Every Inspector Should Know Course
Need a home inspection in Minnesota? Check out InterNACHI's listing of Minnesota certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 1/20/19, 4:31 PM
InterNACHI Applicant

Research & Writing Assignment:

For dryer vent safety.The inspector will inspect the dryer vent for proper installation and material used to form the dryer vent. The inspector will inspect the proper termination of the dryer vent so that insulation and wood covering and structural members do not get affected and insulation does not get flattened or wood support members do not get rotted and weakened. also so that the termination does not cause dangerous gases in a crawlspace or attic space to build up. Also the inspector should inspect for perforating fasteners to not be installed in the dryers exhaust duct causing lint to be caught and buildup around the screw ends restricting exhaust airflow.

Old 1/20/19, 4:32 PM
InterNACHI Applicant

During the inspection of a roof of this home, I found the and observed the service entry cables and mast. The service entry cables did not all have a drip loop. This is a dangerous condition as water can potentially enter the service mast and drip on the exposed high-voltage conductors within the service panel and cause an arc/fire. Correction is needed.

Old 1/20/19, 5:07 PM
InterNACHI Applicant

While inspecting the bathroom vanity area in the master bath I noticed that the P Trap was leaking and there was a hole in the bottom of the cabinet for the water to leaking into. I made a note for the crawl space portion of the inspection and noticed that when I got to this area the was standing water in the crawl space and the sub floor under the sink drain has visible signs of water stains.

Old 1/20/19, 5:10 PM
InterNACHI Applicant

I was inspecting a water heater during the course of an inspection and noted that the electric water heater was placed in an upstairs bedroom closet. I noted a drip pan to catch any water in case of a leak but there was no PVC tubing connected to the drain pan to drain any loss of water from the heater or the TPRV to the exterior.

Old 1/20/19, 6:10 PM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI)

The TPR valve shown helps to protect the occupants and building in the case of excessive temperatures or pressures when water is heated. Explosions can cause deaths and can occur at any time if the tank relief valve fails to let the pressure off.

Old 1/20/19, 6:15 PM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI)

Anti-Tip Brackets for Freestanding Ranges are required to help reduce the chance of children sitting or climbing on the range from being crushed by it falling on to them. This simple bracket mounted to the floor or wall should be able to support 250 lbs.

Old 1/20/19, 7:39 PM
InterNACHI Applicant

Topic is roof venting, this section contains three units. Measurement clearance of all three is at or above code, each unit is adequately flashed to the roof with properly shingled around each unit. The only defect aperient is the far left vent, the diameter is only 1", all external vents should be a min of 1 1/2", not sure what this could be venting, not visible, no attic access.

Old 1/20/19, 7:46 PM
InterNACHI Applicant

Subject Dry vent inspection. It's important that the dry vent hose does not exceed 12 ft. and is the equal diameter of the exhaust and terminate to the exterior of the home. Et should be accessible for maintenance, most importantly to clean out any lint build up from dryer to exit vent.

Old 1/20/19, 7:56 PM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI) ®

1.R- There were sections of roofing that appeared to have
exposed nail heads (fasteners) without sealant and fasteners that
had become loose (backed out) in areas. It is recommended that
this/these condition(s) have further evaluation and repair
consultation by a qualified/licensed roofing professional.
2.R- There were cracking/deteriorating vent boots observed
around the plumbing vent pipes on the roof at the time of
inspection.It is recommended that these vent boots be
repaired/replaced to prevent moisture from entering the structure,by a qualified/licensed roofing professional.

Old 1/20/19, 8:09 PM

This is a picture of visual inspection of inside a 200 amp main service panel while doing my inspection of the service panel some of the things I checked for the size of the wire going to breakers also I look for double tapping of ungrounded conductors going to breakers.

Old 1/20/19, 8:15 PM

I chose the Built-up roofing image to write this on. Built-up roofing has always been a bit of a mystery to me. Even though I have been a contractor for many years the one roofing type I always subcontracted out was Built-up roofing. The image helps me to better understand the way it works and the steps it takes to install it. This image will go into my library for future explanation of built-up roofing to my clients.

Old 1/20/19, 8:44 PM

While doing my electrical part my inspection I check all accessible Receptacles I check all the kitchen over counter top, bathroom and wet area GFCI Protected Recepticles by using my Recepticle tester also I check it by using the manufacturer's testing recommendation by simply pushing the test and reset button.

Need a home inspection in Minnesota? Check out InterNACHI's listing of Minnesota certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 1/20/19, 10:10 PM
InterNACHI Applicant

The illustration I reviewed was 'Chimney Height'. The picture shows a masonry chimney with the top 2' higher than where a 10' distance is from the roof and the chimney. It also shows how the winds can flow over the top of the chimney freely providing for adequate updraft for smoke.

Old 1/20/19, 11:25 PM
InterNACHI Member

Inspection of the dryer vent showed an aluminum vent used to vent directly outdoors. The vent was approximately one foot in length. The only recommendation to my client would be to use foil tape to secure the connection between the two pieces. This is visible in the image as well.