Go Back   InterNACHI Inspection Forum > >

Notices

Student Discussions This is a forum for discussing InterNACHI's Inspection Courses.

Old 12/19/16, 12:39 PM
InterNACHI Staff

Default Re: Advanced Radon Measurement Service Provider Course

A new hi-resolution illustration has been recently added to InterNACHI's free, online Advanced Radon Measurement Service Provider course in the Health Effects section. For more illustrations related to radon measurement, visit our free, online Gallery for inspectors.

Advanced Radon Measurement Service Provider Course-genetic-damage-jpg
Need a home inspection in Oklahoma? Check out InterNACHI's listing of Oklahoma certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 12/19/16, 3:51 PM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI)

Ben, I have a question concerning devices. I was wondering if I am reading this right. If I use a continous radon monitor for real estate testing I don't have to do duplicate testing?meaning I would only have to place one machine at the test site at the time of testing ? I realize that I would still have to do a duplicate test every tenth time regardless . Also with a CRM can I use a passive device to do the duplicate test?
Thanks
Old 12/21/16, 5:22 PM

Advanced Radon Measurement Service Provider Course-img_0814-jpg
InterNACHI Training Radon Inspections Essay #1

The attached picture is of an active Radon Mitigation system. The system is installed correctly and as per standards. The system is installed into the window well of the walkout basement and extends to above the roofline.
Attached Thumbnails
Advanced Radon Measurement Service Provider Course-img_0814-1-jpg  
Old 12/21/16, 5:36 PM

InterNACHI Training Radon Inspections Essay #2

I observed the diagram labeled “Radon Potential”. In this diagram it shows the potential for Radon from low to high depending on a variety of factors. I found this interesting as my preconceived notions as to where high and low levels might be found were incorrect. This information will help me to better advise my clients when I observe the conditions noted in this diagram and I can include this diagram to better explain it to them.
Old 12/22/16, 12:52 PM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI) ®

My essay is on the library article “Dryer Vent Safety”. In this article, I have learned dryer vents cause nearly 14,000 house fires per year in the US. The maximum dryer vent length should not exceed 25’ and be constructed of rigid metal, except for the transition from dryer to the vent. I see a lot of dryer vents that are more than 25’ in length in my inspections and always note when I see ribbed flex ducts as permanent venting. When adding the 2.5-5’ for 45/90 degree elbows I find there are a lot of vents that exceed the 25’ that could easily be overlooked. I always try to follow the vent to make sure it’s safe all the way to the exterior.
Old 12/22/16, 6:21 PM

These are pictures of the stickers and manometer on an active sub-slab depressurization radon mitigation system.
The manometer shows that the fan is actively working. However, I believe it should be at 1 “ WC. The fan is located in the garage attic. The system appears to be installed correctly.
I would recommend that a qualified radon mitigation contractor check the manometer and also the tags show that the system was installed 03/31/04 and should be tested every 2 years. I believe its over due.
Attached Thumbnails
Advanced Radon Measurement Service Provider Course-20161222_165153-jpg   Advanced Radon Measurement Service Provider Course-20161222_165157-jpg  
Old 12/26/16, 1:10 AM

This entry is for the reading assignment portion of the Advanced Radon Course. I studied the graphic "Air Pressure and Radon Entry" which shows how leaks in the building envelope, the loss of internal air for combustion of natural gas appliances, along with the stack effect create a state of negative pressure within the home. This negative pressure seeks to relieve itself by pulling in exterior air as well as air from below the structure and this is where radon gas levels within a home can be higher than a home that has a more neutrally balanced internal pressure. Another source of this negative pressure comes from leaks within the forced air system as duct work leaks into an unconditioned space, significantly increasing the negative pressure within the home.

Jon Ellis
http://www.FinestHomeInspection.com

Inspecting Champaign County and Beyond
(217) 552-2700
Old 12/27/16, 6:34 PM

Anti-tip brackets for free standing ranges.
According to the InterNACHI library and the InterNACHI SOP”s, all free standing ranges need to be secured with an anti-tip bracket. If not, the inspector needs to recommend one be installed. As of 1991, all ranges come with the anti-tip bracket to be installed by the installer of the range. In most cases it never gets installed.
A simple test of tipping the range forward should indicate if one is installed or not. Several injuries and even deaths have occurred from the result of the range not being secured.
In 1991 the American National Standards Institute ( ANSI ) and Underwriters Laboratories ( UL ) created standards that require that all ranges are to be secured so as to support 250 pounds of weight on the open range door.
Inspectors should always check this and make the appropriate notes on their inspection reports
Old 12/28/16, 7:31 PM

Everyone’s heard of Youtube, but here’s a picture I recently took at an inspection of another type of U Tube, called a manometer. It’s also called a vacuum gauge. It indicates the vacuum pressure inside the Radon mitigation system. This indicates whether the Radon fan is working or not. The tops of the two liquid levels should not be equal. If they are equal, it may indicate the fan is not working or is turned off. This U Tube does not indicate Radon levels, as some may think. Advanced Radon Measurement Service Provider Course-radon-mit-vac-1-png

Curtis Home Inspections
Inspections Locally, Homes for Kids Globally
http://curtisinspections.com
http://www.facebook.com/curtishomeinspectionsky
Licensed Home Inspector in Kentucky
serving Louisville, Elizabethtown and surrounding areas
502-428-9629
Old 12/28/16, 7:54 PM

For the research portion of this course, I read the "Radon (consumer-targeted)" article. It was interesting to get a broad scope of the different Radon-resistant measures in a Radon mitigation system. Some of these measures include a gas-permeable layer, plastic sheathing, caulking (silicone is better than what some contractors choose), a 3 or 4 inch vent pipe and junction boxes in attics that allow for an easy installation of a vent fan when a mitigation system gets installed.

Curtis Home Inspections
Inspections Locally, Homes for Kids Globally
http://curtisinspections.com
http://www.facebook.com/curtishomeinspectionsky
Licensed Home Inspector in Kentucky
serving Louisville, Elizabethtown and surrounding areas
502-428-9629
Old 12/29/16, 12:15 AM

This crawl space isa good example of a sub-membrane depressurization system. On thecrawl space floor there was underlayment fabric with a vapor barrierover the floor and approximately three feet up the walls. In thebackground you can see a portion on the four inch PVC pipe from theradon mitigation system.
Attached Thumbnails
Advanced Radon Measurement Service Provider Course-crawl-20space-20-20clean-20-20crawlspace-20doctor-20-203-jpg  
Old 12/29/16, 12:16 AM

This crawl space is a good example of a sub-membrane depressurization system. On thecrawl space floor there was underlayment fabric with a vapor barrierover the floor and approximately three feet up the walls. In thebackground you can see a portion on the four inch PVC pipe from theradon mitigation system.
Old 12/29/16, 11:42 PM

Home Buyer's and Seller's Guide to Radon
This is a great resource for all home owners both buying, selling or have owned for a while. I think we as home inspectors have an obligation to help educate the public about the hazards associated with radon. I know it is a great potential source of income but above and beyond that we can do our part in helping the public while bringing positive recognition to our profession. I would challenge fellow home inspectors to advertise/ educate about Radon during the next 2-3 months.
Need a home inspection in Oklahoma? Check out InterNACHI's listing of Oklahoma certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 12/30/16, 11:56 AM

The installation of passive sub-membrane depressurization systems is relatively new as a required building standard here in Oregon (2011). The building code is pretty vague and installations are mostly very poor. The building inspectors do not seem to have been trained as well as us home inspectors because this installation is the norm.
You can see that the "sub-membrane" depressurization piping did not even penetrate the membrane! The pipe was labeled in the crawlspace which was good but it should have been labeled in the attic as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Advanced Radon Measurement Service Provider Course-p1410746-jpg   Advanced Radon Measurement Service Provider Course-p1410735-jpg  
Old 12/30/16, 2:13 PM

This illustration of a sub-membrane depressurization system is helpful as it clearly displays the general idea behind the system. I tell clients that a depressurization system is like a draft hood for the house. When writing reports I prefer to use drawings with more detail as in a clear emphasis on the seals between the membrane and the foundation wall and the seal around the membrane and the pipe. There are other diagrams to emphasize the critical points of seal.
Attached Thumbnails
Advanced Radon Measurement Service Provider Course-crawlspace-radon-system-installation-jpg