Go Back   InterNACHI Inspection Forum > >

Notices

Student Discussions This is a forum for discussing InterNACHI's Inspection Courses.

Old 2/8/17, 12:50 AM
Student Inspector

Default Re: Advanced Radon Measurement Service Provider Course

I have selected the ATSDR publication entitled Radon Toxicity for my research assignment. This was a very interesting publication describing the health concerns with the exposure to radon progeny. What I found most interesting in this publication was the section that went into detail about the biological factors that may influence pulmonary radiation dose.
Need a home inspection in Oklahoma? Check out InterNACHI's listing of Oklahoma certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 2/8/17, 1:01 AM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI)

Research Essay :
Heat Recovery Ventilation Systems

Reading through the Radon course and being relatively new to the inspection industry, I cam across a term that I could not quite figure out. Heat Recovery Ventilation systems are discusses in several sections but I could not connect the dots with the information provided. ‘To the InterNACHI Articles’ page for research. Well that didn't reveal anything. ‘To the Cloud’ and Googl`e.

I found three useful articles. The first two articles provided the additional information on what exactly is a HRV system and mentioned Radon as a concern. However neither explained how they improves or lowers radon levels in the home.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_recovery_ventilation
http://www.popularmechanics.com/home.../a149/1275121/

The last article is based on a study performed in Sweden and has way more information that needed. It however put it in clears terms for me. I understood from the first articles that the unit is intended to draw outside (supposedly fresh) air into the home, use the conditioned air within the home to exchange the heat/cold to limit the overall energy loss. The third article indicated that the system also balances the indoor relative air pressure to be closer to the indoor air pressure. With indoor/outdoor air pressure equalized, there is less natural draw of radon gas into the home by reducing the stack effect that a older home has. All three articles also reference ‘newer homes’ with modern energy saving features as more likely needing a HRV system to exchange indoor/outdoor air.
http://www.wseas.org/multimedia/jour...012/55-340.pdf
Old 2/8/17, 8:27 PM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI) ®

Hello everyone. I'm looking forward to learning more about radon.
Old 2/9/17, 6:26 PM
InterNACHI Staff

A new hi-resolution illustration has been recently added to InterNACHI's free, online Advanced Radon Measurement Service Provider course in the Health Effects section. For more illustrations related to radon measurement, visit our free, online Gallery for inspectors.

Advanced Radon Measurement Service Provider Course-relative_risk-jpg
Old 2/9/17, 7:48 PM

My research project was on Garage Inspections
Always examine trusses in garage areas. Check for improper bearing points trusses are engineered for specific bearing points. Check for any alterations that have been made to trusses. Trusses should never be altered unless approved by a structural engineer.
Old 2/9/17, 8:42 PM

My research project was on passive radon testing (Short Term)
For passive tests you can do 2 tests at the same time with the detectors no more than 4 inches apart from each other.
The second way to test is take an initial test for 48 hours then immediately after completing that test take another test in the same location for 48 hours. Average these results and determine if action is needed.
Old 2/10/17, 6:14 PM

A home inspection was performed on a split level home with partial basement and crawlspace. The radon test on this home was elevated at 8.1 pico-curie per liter level, requiring a mitigation system. Upon re-inspection (Almost 3-months later), the system installed was not a proper remediation system and did not appear to be installed by a licensed radon mitigation contractor. The system which was installed was a simple exhaust fan in the basement which did not penetrate the basement floor and did not account for the crawlspace radon levels. The installation actually pulled more radon from the soil. The fan was fastened to a tall PVC pipe on the exterior. The fan was not properly wired to a GFCI outlet. The exterior exhaust pipe was very poorly installed and cosmetically repugnant. It would be susceptible to wind damage due to poor fastening to the house. Finally, there was no manometer pressure gauge to indicate suction in the system and there was no label identifying the radon mitigation contractor as required. Finally, the radon level must be tested within 30-days of installation of a system – this was not performed.

Radon mitigation systems must be installed by a licensed radon mitigation provider. The installation herein did not reflect such knowledge, training or certification. It was recommended that the installers certification be verified with the State Radon. This was done and the installer was investigated and reprimanded.
Attached Thumbnails
Advanced Radon Measurement Service Provider Course-img_3122-jpg   Advanced Radon Measurement Service Provider Course-img_3121-jpg  
Old 2/10/17, 7:20 PM
Active Poster

Thanks Moranda.
Old 2/11/17, 5:48 PM

In regard to fixed or adjustable steel basement support columns, I recently inspected a house constructed on a steep slope, that was originally built on lots of backfill and settlement had occurred. The house had a double basement due to the slope. The basement columns were visible from one end of the basement to the other and were leaning rearward about 4-inches over their 8-ft height. In regard to danger, this was one of the better parts of the house - it really should have been condemned. The house had multiple cracks in the foundation and the front wall had about 3+ inches of lateral movement inward.
Attached Thumbnails
Advanced Radon Measurement Service Provider Course-img_3104-jpg   Advanced Radon Measurement Service Provider Course-img_3081-jpg  
Old 2/12/17, 4:33 PM

This picture is in the basement at the main sewer stack from an upstairs bathroom. There is significant evidence of water from above in the form of staining and residue around the stack. This location is directly below a toilet and tile shower.

House was constructed in 1952. Highly recommend performing a drain pan test for the tile shower to be sure that it is not leaking.
Attached Thumbnails
Advanced Radon Measurement Service Provider Course-img_1904-1-jpg  
Old 2/12/17, 4:48 PM

I read the article IR Cameras: an Overview for Inspectors

I thought this was appropriate as I am researching IR cameras right now. IR cameras record temperature differences and can be used by inspectors to identify areas with higher moisture, heat loss, and overheating electrical systems. A useful example is a water stain on a ceiling. It might look like an old stain to the naked eye, but the thermal image may show that the area is still wet and in need to further evaluation.
Old 2/13/17, 10:48 AM
InterNACHI Applicant

I reviewed the Sub-slab radon mitigation system image in the gallery. This is a great graphic to show a client to help them visualize how radon can be removed from the house in a simple and easy to understand visual.
Old 2/13/17, 3:46 PM

Advanced Radon Measurement Service Provider Course-img_0370-jpg

I purchased this house in 2011 and had a Radon test done prior to closing. The test came back around 2. Being that there was a mitigation system in place, I figured it was working. This was prior to becoming involved in Home Inspection, so I never thought to have the system checked. When I went to sell the house, the new home owner's (who rented from me for a year in the same house, had the system inspected. It was found to have a faulty fan motor and was not properly attached to the house. I provided an allowance at closing to have it fixed. Big lessons learned there, which is part of my inspiration to learn about Radon. The Radon mitigation pipe is on the right side of the house, inside corner.
Need a home inspection in Oklahoma? Check out InterNACHI's listing of Oklahoma certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 2/13/17, 4:09 PM

I did my research on the Radon article in the library. After just completing the course, I found it a very good refresher on a lot of points. One of the biggest challenges for consumers who are not familiar with Radon and the danger the gas imposes, is deciding whether to have a Radon test done. This holds true for both as a seller and as a buyer. People "generally" want to do the right thing, especially to mitigate any harm done to others. However, the almighty dollar always comes up. People start concerning themselves with the cost of the mitigation system if the test comes back high. What people should concern themselves with is the risk to their health. If they want to think about cost, think about the cost of healthcare and treatment by ignoring Radon altogether. This article does a very good Job at describing why Radon is a risk. I will share the article with my Realtors so they can pass it on to their clients.
Old 2/14/17, 3:02 AM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI) ®

This is an image of an active radon mitigation system vent fan. In this example, there are a few issues associated with this installation. For one, the fan does not have a local electrical disconnect. The disconnect box in the photo belongs to the HVAC compressor. Another issue is that the discharge pipe coming out of the fan was not connected with a removable coupling to facilitate easy maintenance, and the pipe has a 90 degree elbow which is not recommended. Additionally, the fan appears quite aged or weathered and may be at or beyond its expected service life. Replacement may be necessary in the near future. Advanced Radon Measurement Service Provider Course-img_20170214_014628-jpg

http://www.ttbservices.com
MD License# 31233
WV HI4572294-0717
Infrared Certified
Mold Certified
Water Certified
Lead Risk Assessor