Go Back   InterNACHI Inspection Forum > >

Notices

Student Discussions This is a forum for discussing InterNACHI's Inspection Courses.

Old 5/19/17, 2:51 PM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI) ®

This photo is from the attic of a commercial building. After checking with the original owner I found this large commercial building was built without any radon protection of any kind. I suspect this attic with its lack of any ventilation as well as the building itself may hold harmful radon decay levels. I am working with the owner for a time to properly arrange testing.

Advanced Radon Measurement Service Provider Course
Need a home inspection in Oklahoma? Check out InterNACHI's listing of Oklahoma certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 5/19/17, 4:04 PM

It's interesting that the author of the radon article posted that all homes being considered for sale should be tested for radon gas. In Tennessee and many states once a seller knows anything about a home they have to put it in the disclosure documents. It's the reason a lot of sellers don't do home inspections. In addition the seller then has the cost of the inspection and cost of remediation to deal with. If they don't test and leave it up to the buyer, often times the buyer will not test, even though they probably should. In cities where there are multiple bids on homes even the home inspection is often axed as an advantage to the seller to choose that particular buyer.

Old 5/19/17, 11:02 PM
Student Inspector

As a proactive measure, home builders can take proactive measures when they are building new homes. One of the things they can do is to put a protective layer over the foundation. It is better to protect against radon gases an the foundation slab lever for example, that having to imprement measures after the home has been built.

Old 5/19/17, 11:11 PM
Student Inspector

The article I chose is entitled: "Home Buyer's and Seller's Guide to Radon" As I mentioned in my previous essay, it is better to be proactive when dealing with radon in the inception of building the home. As recommended by the article I chose, new home buyers are recommended to ask if radon-resistant measures where used in the construction of the home.

Old 5/20/17, 4:04 PM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI)

In the course I've learned the different types of test equipment, the different means of mitigation, and the procedures for testing and mitigation. I'm Hopeful the course will provide the necessary knowledge to begin radon testing in my inspection company

Old 5/20/17, 4:43 PM

Different soil types can allow radon transfer differently. Soils that are filled with voids allow a much greater transfer than solid compact granite. There are different types of products to help control the radon transfer into new site built homes.

Old 5/23/17, 8:37 AM
InterNACHI Member

The firm by which I am employed is the area's leading provider of radon testing services. I have conducted multiple radon tests under the direct supervision of certified personnel over the past three months. I am familiar with all necessary procedures involved in the process.

Old 5/23/17, 8:45 AM
InterNACHI Member

Checklist for Inspecting Radon Mitigation Systems in Residential Homes
https://www.nachi.org/comsop.htm#18
Home Buyer's and Seller's Guide to Radon

Our firm is located in east Tennessee. Due to terrain and soil conditions in the region, nearly one-third of all homes in the state of Tennessee have elevated radon levels, which is over twice the national average. Local Realtors have increasingly begun to routinely recommend that prospective buyers have a radon test performed along with their regular home inspection.

Old 5/23/17, 11:37 AM
InterNACHI Staff

Default Re: Advanced Radon Measurement Service Provider Course

A new hi-resolution illustration has been recently added to InterNACHI's free, online Advanced Radon Measurement Service Provider course in the Radon Entry section. For more illustrations related to radon measurement, visit our free, online Gallery for inspectors.

Advanced Radon Measurement Service Provider Course-evaluating-radon-potential-jpg
Old 5/23/17, 12:07 PM

The picture shows a Radon Reduction System that serves two foundation areas. The 3 PVC pipe goes out of crawl space floor, over head, and under floor joist. After it turns to horizontal ran another pipe this time from full basement floor connects to it and the pipe continues along wood floor joists to outside where the mitigation's fan is located.

Old 5/23/17, 12:53 PM

Image: Passive Sub-Membrane Depressurization System Used for crawlspace construction.

Building's wall cross section shows how Passive Radon Control System functions. The system is installed in the crawlspace. It uses 3-4 perforated drain tile located in the basement which is covered by 6 mil polyethylene sheeting that is 12 overlapped and sealed together. The barrier is also sealed at the perimeter of the crawlspace to foundation walls and all penetrations are also sealed. The vertical PVC pipe from radon mitigation system is then connected to the drain tile and through floors and roof and terminates minimum 12 above roof line. The floor penetrations should be sealed with proper sealants. Roof penetration should be sealed with rubber flashing similar to plumbing vent booth. Radon vent shall not be covered with lead cap. The vertical PVC pipe should be braced to the house structure at distances less than 8 ft apart. Passive mitigation system does not utilize power fan but it could be modified to active system if needed.

Old 5/23/17, 2:50 PM

Radon testing with a continuous radon monitor seems to be a good choice for the real-estate market as it allows a 48 hour turn-around with a machine or device that gives instant results in a printout or downloadable format for the certified inspector.

Old 5/23/17, 2:52 PM

I viewed some articles and images on radon testing for the home inspector. There are many different ways to do this, but due to AARST NRPP requirements for calibration and testing, you may want to stick with one or two types as each different type will require additional annual or biennial fees and tests to remain compliant with their policies.

Need a home inspection in Oklahoma? Check out InterNACHI's listing of Oklahoma certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 5/24/17, 11:44 AM
InterNACHI Staff

Default Re: Advanced Radon Measurement Service Provider Course

A new hi-resolution illustration has been recently added to InterNACHI's free, online Advanced Radon Measurement Service Provider course in the Radon Entry section. For more illustrations related to radon measurement, visit our free, online Gallery for inspectors.

Advanced Radon Measurement Service Provider Course-radon-entry-building-jpg
Old 5/24/17, 11:58 AM

In this picture there is a standard residential radon mitigation system located along the exterior of the home extending vertically above the roof line. This system is made of PVC piping and has a built in blower/fan inline to create a negative pressure from the sump pump crock to eliminate radon entering the home from the soil through the drain tile and into the sump crock.