"Advanced Training for Inspecting HVAC Systems for Home Inspectors" online course

This thread is dedicated exclusively for those students currently enrolled in the InterNACHI course titled, “Advanced Training for Inspecting HVAC Systems for Home Inspectors.”

Upon successful completion of this course, the student shall be able to:

• inspect heating and cooling systems;
  • evaluate the basic performance of HVAC systems; and
  • identify major defects common to HVAC systems.

Students are free to pose questions and comments here and join in the conversation with other students. The thread will be monitored by the course instructor.

Contact: Director of Education, Ben Gromicko ben@internachi.org

Inspector training courses: www.nachi.org/education.
Thank you.

11 Likes

Looks like it will be a great course. So let’s get started…

Appreciate the great course available to us!

This does look very good! I’m also taking the BPI Heat Pro Class, It will be interesting to see the differences. Looking forward to learning a lot!
Dave

starting the advanced HVAC course now…

Looks awesome

Im confused. In Part 5 you tore apart a furnace because a Home Inspector called out a crack in the heat exchanger, but the lesson seemed to indicate as a home inspector we only do visual inspections, so we would be unable to see such a crack, yet you pulled it apart and there was in fact a crack. How did the home inspector determine there was a crack?

2 Likes

I am a licensed HVAC contractor and it will be probably be interesting experience taking this course. I will comment further after I complete the course.

Maybe he or she had a camera with a 24" flexible lighted tip…

Nice job as Dir of Edu Ben! You had big shoes to fill with Gerry.

Quick question. Does the course cover zone valves in relation to circulator pumps and vent dampers on a boiler system?

1 Like

Thank You

Yes.

boilers: classification, water, steam, fuel type, material of contruction, dry base, wet base, water tube, fire tube, type of draft, condensing, wall hung, integrated domestic coil, components, gas valve, safety controls, burner assembly, heat exchanger, temperature pressure relief valve, auto fill valve, sight glass, low water cut off, expansion tank, zone valves, circulator pump, air separator, temperature gauge, high low limit control, backflow preventer, oil burner, pump, blower, nozzel, ignitor, transformer, electric motor, air shutter, reset switches, cad cell, stack switch, radiators, convectors, finned tube, fan coil, etc.

Visit Advanced HVAC Training for Home Inspectors Course - InterNACHI® and scroll down the page for a full description of what’s covered in the course.

Thank you.

Just a quick question,

Could PVC or ABS pipe be used as high efficiency furnace air intake and flue pipe?

Teach me Seymor, teach me.

HVAC Excellence Certified Instructor. Mind if I grade you as I go thru this?

it has taken me a couple trys to get this far. Part 1 2hrs 35 mins. Several things I have heard, but these 2 I must speak about. The condensate from a 90+ furnace is not from latent heat of evaporation it is from latent heat of condensation. This gentleman says the 2 pressure switches are, 1 for negative pressure and 1 for positive pressure. No they are both negative pressure. 1 is set for a “low fire” pressure and when “high fire” or 2nd stage heat is called for the induced draft fan motor will speed up. This creates a larger amount of negative pressure. Once the 2nd pressure switches closes the gas valve will open up to the high fire position.

1 Like

In Ontario a new furnace installation requires 636 grade PVC pipe for flue. From my understanding you can use whatever you like for intake. I have seen older furnaces where PVC pipe was used for upgrade and ABS left in place for intake. Most homes don’t even have an intake line when basement is unfinished.

Should be fun. Let’s get started!

I think this course will be very rewarding. Let’s get going!