Go Back   InterNACHI Inspection Forum > >

Notices

Student Discussions This is a forum for discussing InterNACHI's Inspection Courses.

Old 2/21/19, 1:21 PM
InterNACHI Member

Research & Writing Assignment:

The electric clothes dryer has become an integral of the home. Dryers evaporate water from wet clothing with airflow as they tumble inside a spinning drum. This convenience can also present a safety hazard if proper precautions are not used. The dryer vent exhausts moist air to the home's exterior. The vent needs to be connected a to be without restriction. This can be a problem because dryers tend to be tucked away in a corner..

Need a home inspection in Connecticut? Check out InterNACHI's listing of Connecticut certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 2/22/19, 4:35 PM
InterNACHI Member

Inspection & Writing Assignment:

While inspecting dishwashers you should also not deficiencies such as rust or cracked and broken racks. Also note if you see rust buildup on springs and other internal parts inside the dishwasher. Dishwashers can be used to disinfect many different items such as toothbrushes and baby bottles and rust can be a problem for the potential buyer.

Appliance Inspection for Home Inspectors
Old 2/22/19, 4:39 PM
InterNACHI Member

while testing the garage door opener you should not the presence of the emergency release and make sure the rope is colored red. It is also important to test the safety interlocks and make sure the door reverses when triggered or when it hits an object.

Old 2/22/19, 6:15 PM
InterNACHI Applicant

For this module I chose my bathroom to inspect. I conducted a water pressure test by running the shower and the sink simultaneously. The result was sufficient water pressure. The toilet flushes properly and refills properly. The toilet is grouted to the floor. The sink drained adequately. The shower drained adequately.

Old 2/22/19, 6:21 PM
InterNACHI Applicant

For this module I chose the article, "How to Inspect the Refrigerator," to write my essay on. Upon reading this article I learned that refrigerators weigh up to 875lbs. I am assuming that is empty so I can only imagine it could exceed 1000lbs in a very small footprint if it was full of food. I also learned that the operating temp for the cooler is 40 degrees and 0 degrees for the freezer.

Old 2/22/19, 7:43 PM
InterNACHI Applicant

The microwave is built in and approximately 2 years old. The turntable and rollers are in tact and have no defects. The interior and exterior of the unit are in excellent condition. The display, interior light and timer are also in working order.

Old 2/22/19, 8:29 PM
InterNACHI Applicant

I read the article of 'Central Vacuum Systems' and learned many of the pros and cons of having one installed in your home. The central vacuum system is as known as a whole-house vacuum system. Instead of dragging a vacuum from room to room you just the hose that connects into the system via a wall outlet. This system has many advantages such as they can last longer than traditional vacuums, their hypo-allergenic and safe and easy to use. This system also doesn't release any dust or allergens back into the air because it is released outdoors. Some of the disadvantages are the initial cost, damage that can be caused by any items accidentally sucked into the system and weakened suction caused by obstructed pipes or a dirty filter. The pros and cons should be weighed in deciding whether this system would be beneficial to a home.

Old 2/22/19, 9:10 PM
InterNACHI Member

The following picture is of the range oven. The range is powered by a propane tank located in the back yard. The range lacks an appropriate anti-tipping device. It also has shut off valves that are inaccessible. These issues represent a hazardous condition that needs to be fixed by a qualified person before the range is used or left with unsupervised children.

Old 2/22/19, 9:17 PM
InterNACHI Member

I looked at the illustration titled Measuring Solid Waste Buildup in the septic tank album. I learned how to perform a measurement for scum and sludge. The section over this in the septic tank section left me confused. I learned the process and correct measurements, but I wasn't quite sure what it actually looked like. The simple picture gave me a great understanding.

Old 2/23/19, 1:06 AM
InterNACHI Applicant

Appliance Inspection; Built-in appliances include dishwashers, which should be a securely mounted unit with door springs that do not allow the door to flop open, as it could injure someone. The pump, spray arms, dryer element and other integral features should be operational and the gasket should not be deficient. A checklist is helpful when inspecting appliances.

Old 2/23/19, 3:22 AM
InterNACHI Applicant

Kitchen Range Hood Inspection; should include the ducting, smooth-walled galvanized steel, copper or stainless of appropriate size, sealed with mastic and fiberglass mesh tape or with aluminum duct sealing tape, should be vented outdoors, preferably through the roof. The venting should NOT terminate in the attic and dampers should be checked with the fan on to ensure proper functioning.

Old 2/24/19, 12:38 PM
InterNACHI Member

This picture is of a built in whirlpool over. Notice the cracked glass in the oven door due to overheating. You can also see that the screws have been hot enough on the door to burn the seal in places. I would recommend not using the oven to prevent a fire hazard and have a certified technician evaluate it before use.

Old 2/24/19, 12:47 PM
InterNACHI Member

This whirlpool built in oven had broken glass in the door. The oven would overheat and lock the door for the self cleaning mode. Upon further inspection I found that the screws on the door have burnt the gasket where they make contact. This oven is unsafe and poses a fire hazard if used. I recommend having a certified technician evaluate and fix the addresses issues before use.

Need a home inspection in Connecticut? Check out InterNACHI's listing of Connecticut certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 2/25/19, 1:34 PM
InterNACHI Member

THE ATTACHED PICTURE OF A BATHROOM EXHAUST VENT DUCT WOULD CLEARLY BE REPORTED AS A DEFECTIVE CONDITION. THE DUCT WAS NOT PROPERLY INSTALLED TO THE EXTERIOR OF THE STRUCTURE WITH A VENT COVER. INSTEAD, THE DUCT WAS RUN TO THE SOFIT VENT USING THE VENT AS A SCREEN. IT ALSO APPEARS THAT THE SOFIT VENT WAS RIPPED IN ORDER TO POSITION THE DUCT IN PLACE FROM THE OUTSIDE, ALLOWING CREATURES TO ENTER THE DWELLING.

Old 2/25/19, 2:06 PM
InterNACHI Member

ACCORDING TO AN ILLUSTRATION FOUND ON THE INTERNACHI PHOTO GALLERY REGARDING DRYER VENT INSTALLATION, THE PROPER INSTALLATION REQUIRES:
1. FLEXIBLE DUCT MUST NOT BE CONCEALED--MUST NOT GO THROUGH WALLS.
2. NON-FLEXIBLE DUCTING MATERIAL SHOULD NOT BE FASTENED WITH SCREWS.
3. MUST EXIT TO THE EXTERIOR AIR OF THE DWELLING.

I HAVE ALSO LEARNED THAT:

1. THE EXHAUST SHOULD BE NO LONGER THAN 25 FEET FROM THE DRYER TO THE OUTSIDE AIR.
2. EVERY 45 DEGREE TURN REQUIRES AN REDUCTION OF LENGTH OF 2.5 FEET.
3. EVERY 90 DEGREE TURN REQUIRES A REDUCTION OF LENGTH OF 5 FEET.