Go Back   InterNACHI Inspection Forum > >

Notices

Student Discussions This is a forum for discussing InterNACHI's Inspection Courses.

Old 8/14/18, 10:41 PM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI) ®

Inspection & Writing Assignment:

I noticed the Damaged Drywall on the Wall & Ceiling of this Bathroom,during an inspection! I thought Moisture Intrusion! Homeowner said it happened last winter after several Heavy Snow Falls, light Rain,then freezing Temps! I Inspected the Roof, found a Flashing open at the Top Edge on a Vertical Wall next to the Roof,above under an Overhang above the Bath! The Heavy Snow had started to Melt, Then Froze into an Ice Dam & Then the Snow above Melted before the Ice! Water Built Up behind the Ice above the Flashing & Entered the Roof running down onto the Bath Ceiling & Down the Wall

"Commercial Inspection Prerequisite Course"
Need a home inspection in Indiana? Check out InterNACHI's listing of Indiana certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 8/15/18, 2:45 AM

Attached is a picture of the roofing system. It is an asphalt shingle type roof. it appears to be less than 2 years old per the looks of it and customer statements. The roof is in good order with no visible defects.

Old 8/15/18, 2:47 AM

Research & Writing Assignment:

I read about the importance of using PPE (personal protective equipment). It let me realize how many items are available for me to be able to use so that I am being as safe as possible during the course of my duties.

Old 8/15/18, 4:12 PM

This is located under a small cottage. You can see the concrete block wall, however, all the floor support is done by 4 x 4 or 2 x 6 resting on pieces of 2 x 6 that sit on the dirt floor. Each 'set' of wood has two nails in it holding the supports in place. The floor above feels spongy when walked on, is not level. Recommend that these supports be replaced using concrete as footings and support lumber adequality attached to the floor above.

Old 8/15/18, 4:19 PM

I am considering adding commercial inspections to my business. I found out that the Certified commercial inspectors association is a great resource or information, courses, working out how much to charge and a variety of other items that will help in setting up a commercial inspection business.

Old 8/15/18, 4:36 PM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI)

Unsafe roof conditions; Before walking on a roof of any building / home I take the time to look for all defects, Many times this will tell me what the condition the sheathing is in and if it is safe to walk on. Lots of defects normally mean unsafe to wak on

Old 8/15/18, 4:41 PM

Roof Conditions: Before ever walking on a roof I observe the condition of the roof. Many times this is going to tell you the condition of the sheathing and if it is reasonably safe to walk on. As seen in the picture my instinct was right on with this on. No H Clips and poorly patched holes

Old 8/15/18, 6:34 PM

While this "Exit" sign appears to be above the door it is an unlighted exit sign that has no wiring or illumination properties. Recommendation would be to update this system to a current "wired exit sign" with a battery back up in order to comply with Life Safety building requirements.

Old 8/15/18, 6:43 PM

Fire Extinguishers and the requirement for keeping them close. While reviewing the fire extinguisher article it reminded me, once again, that fire extinguishers should be within 75 feet of travel on every floor. This is pretty critical because if there was to be a fire, having to go to a different floor or a long distance from the scene could leave you with an out of control fire in a very short period of time. 75 feet...when things are burning feet count.

Old 8/15/18, 10:31 PM

Visual Inspection of Concrete

Home or Commercial Inspectors perform non-invasive, visual inspections of concrete. This type of inspection may not answer all the questions, determining concrete problems!
One important decision Inspectors make, is,the problem caused by conditions that stabilized, with slight chance of future problems, or caused by conditions that are unstable and continue or worsen!
Different factors affect Concrete Quality. How concrete hardens! The Cement, the Aggregates, the Water, the Mix Design, Environmental Conditions, and Workmanship ! All have an affect on Quality of the Cement Final Product !

Old 8/16/18, 10:43 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to dasselin

Ponding on roof is very common on commercial buildings. It can often be caused by compressed insulation under the membrane. The bigger the pond, the heavier the water load will be and the more compressing will occur. What often start as small ponding will become a bigger issue as the insulation gets more and more compressed. Other causes can create ponding as well.

Old 8/16/18, 10:49 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to dasselin

I read about dust inspection. I knew that wood dust always makes me sneeze but I didn't know it can lead to asthma. I also leaned that dust can create explosions. Even just an electrical spark can cause an dust explosion.

Old 8/16/18, 1:15 PM

During an inspection we encountered four exterior HVAC systems. These systems were not labeled as to which unit they serviced. The commercial course taught grouped exterior utilities should be labeled as to which unit they service. This was a challenge to determine which unit serviced which apartment.

Need a home inspection in Indiana? Check out InterNACHI's listing of Indiana certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 8/16/18, 1:17 PM

For this essay I read the article on "Anatomy of a Commercial Report". While my general residential report was easy to modify for up to a four unit apartment complex, it's obvious I will need to modify my reports extensively for commercial properties to comply with the needed additions.

Old 8/16/18, 8:26 PM
Ricardo Alvarez-Rivon IV, HI11404 Ricardo Alvarez-Rivon IV, HI11404 is offline
InterNACHI Member

Nearly all green building codes and standards have been developed by private organizations and pertain to new construction, not existing commercial properties. Nevertheless, existing properties, by design, by luck, or through modification, have green features that clients should know about.