Energy Movement Course

This thread is dedicated exclusively for those students currently enrolled in the InterNACHI course titled, “Energy Movement.”

Students are free to pose questions and comments here and join in the conversation with other students. The thread will be monitored by the course instructor.

By attending this session, students will:

• understand the principles of energy and energy movement.
  • learn the three methods of heat transfer;
  • understand the difference between thermal and air barriers and the proper location of each;
  • recognize the forces that cause air leakage;
  • understand the connection between air leakage, energy waste, and moisture problems; and
  • understand how air ducts affect the pressure balance within the home.

In keeping with InterNACHI’s commitment to Continuing Education, this course is open and free to all members, and can be taken again and again, without limit.

Contact: Director of Education, Ben Gromicko ben@internachi.org
Free inspector training courses: www.nachi.org/education.

Thank you.

Course is now live.
Visit http://www.nachi.org/energy-movement.htm.

Well done course Ben!

Ben,
I Loved this course, it is short and sweet.
You know that Energy Movement (energy efficiency actions from the Canadian Harper Conservative government is also the trend here in Quebec and it would not hurt to reference to other places than the USA.
It would not hurt anyone as non NACHI & non CMI’s are claiming exclusivity with official authorities in this field.
It would not hurt for NACHI to be recognized and I believe fellow INACHI members should help by making pressure towards officials.

All the best and thank you for this course. (Thank you for all other courses too).
Beauchemin, Marc-Andre, BA,
BMAinspection.com out of Brossard,Quebec Canada.

energy movement course :mrgreen:

This is good info for any Home Inspector.

Looks like a great coarse !
Bill

Thanks for the info

Looks like a great course as usual. Thanks Ben.:smiley:

Best Wishes

John M. Wickline
JW Home Inspections, Inc.
www.http://JWInspect.com
JWInspect@hargray.com

Serving the Low Country of South Carolina since 1998, Hilton Head, Bluffton, Sun City, Beaufort, Hardeeville, Ridgeland, Callawassie, and Daufuskie Island since 1998. Providing Home Inspection Services and Absent Owner Services.

so far so good. Except for this, "Q: What are some methods for balancing the pressure in this home?
Add returns in bedrooms and bathroom
Undercut doors
Add grates to the doors. "

Placing a return in the bathroom may help balance the pressure but it is not a good idea. When we design ductwork, no returns are placed in the bathrooms or kitchens. Due to moisture, which can create mold growth, grease which can collect on A-coils and other problems leading to IAQ problems. This is why vents in bathrooms and kitchens that exhaust outside the structure are important.

Thanks Ben, Here we go.

Cracking a window during a storm [hurricane, tornado] is not recommended. Its was thought so at one time, but newer research proofed it incorrect. At one time they thought the pressure difference caused the home to explode. Upon further research they determined the roof blew off because of open windows. When I was young living in Florida my Dad use to crack the windows. Years later I found new info that said leave them closed. I still live in Florida and have ‘Hurricane Party’s’.

This is a photo I took of a window with no trim or exterior covering. Although caulked and sealed on the interior this penetration on the exterior allows unconditioned air to enter the interstitial space of the wall.

here we have a photo of a house wrapped to help seal out moisture and vapor. this home could benefit from a blower door test in the future.
when I purchase the Blower Door Equipment the first thing I’ll do is test out this home!

Taking the Energy course! Enjoyed it!
While reading the article on 15 tools every homeowner should have,
I would add that a can of WD-40 should also be included as number 16 on this list, it is the duct tape of the spray can world! Very versatile and has many many uses.
Thanks,
Have a great day!

Here is one of my latest energy inspections. I use thermal imaging to identify the energy loss in a home. Adding up all the little leaks add up to a pretty good size hole in someones house!

Here are two attic access hatches that were recently weatherized with weather stripping and insulation. Adding proper access panels like this has helped reduce the overall air movement through this building.

This course was a good refresher for conducting energy audits. I’m looking forward to using some of the information garnered from this course to help clients better identify options for weatherizing their homes.

Great course. Very useful information. Picture of utilities etc. penetrating through building envelope. No sealant is a great area for air entry etc.

Nice course. Enjoyed it.

Here is a picture of spray insulation installed in an attic space. What I liked about this was that the installer did not just spray the foam between the rafters, but sprayed enough to also encapsulate them.