Healthy Homes 10: On-site Wastewater Treatment Course

This thread is dedicated exclusively for those students currently enrolled in InterNACHI’s free, Healthy Homes 10: On-site Wastewater Treatment Course.

Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to: discuss the importance of septic tanks; understand the public health and sanitation issues regarding septic tanks; understand the methods used in evaluating septic tanks; identify various forms of septic tank systems; identify alternative forms of septic tank systems; and understand general maintenance and care for septic systems.

Students are free to pose questions and comments here and join in the conversation with other students. The thread will be monitored by the course instructor.

Contact: Chief Academic Officer, Ben Gromicko ben@internachi.org

Inspection & Writing Assignment:

Living in a dwelling with a private waste disposal system, such as a septic system, do not flush solid items like sanitary napkins down the toilets. This action may clog the septic tank which requires service by a qualified septic system contractor.

Research & Writing Assignment:

I read “Septic System Inspections,” by Nick Gromicko and Kenton Shepard. Septic systems should be inspected on an annual basis. Inspectors can find the date the tank was last pumped, which can be helpful in determining if the tank should be pumped soon.

A septic tank is made of concrete, fiberglass or plastic. It’s purpose is to remove domestic wastewater from the home and facilitate basic treatment. A tank is 1,000 and 2,000 gallons in size. One end is for inlet wastewater and the other end is to a septic drain field.

I reviewed the article on septic system inspections. I found it very interesting when the article listed the methods to locate a septic tank. I did not know that septic tanks are supposed to be inspected yearly. The article clearly defined the responsibilities of the InterNACHI inspector.

The image is of a timer for a lawn sprinkler system. While it is important to maintain adequate vegetative cover over the drain field too much watering of the grass in this area is not recommended. In this case the timer may be a good idea. It is also important to keep surface water run-off away from the drain field.

The image selected is that of a conventional absorption field. Effluent is discharged from the septic tank into the absorption area. A distribution box may or may not be used. It is important to protect this area. Large vehicle traffic and large trees or shrubs could damage the drain field piping thereby rendering the system inoperative.

Septic system inspections article highlights not only how to inspect a septic system, but also the challenges involved when information is limited and the dangers encountered while doing an inspection. This is not an inspection to be taken lightly. Serious considerations should be evaluated and significant training would be advised.

The attached photo shows a new septic tank access with a relatively large area for the leach field to be installed. Their is significant fall in the area so care will need to be taken to ensure containment to avoid polluting the pond down hill from the soil absorption system.

On ocean front houses in Oregon I have often seen raised sand septic systems. There is a concrete wall about three feet high that forms a rectangle and is filled with sand. The water table is often very high and these are the only approved systems. I assume these systems are similar to the mound system described in this class.

Bidets are common in Europe and Asia and much of the rest of the world uses water to cleanse after a bowl movement. Twenty five years ago I was in India and got familiar with the splash method used in much of Asia. When I returned to the States I got a USA Bidet that attaches to a toilet seat and sprays water like a bidet. It is one of the things I miss the most when I am away from home! I read the average American uses 3 rolls of toilet paper a week and almost all of the TP sold in this country is from virgin pulp, no recycled content. Using a bidet can save a lot of trees and spread the out the time between pumping a septic system.

The photo is of a Kohler 1.6 gallons per flush toilet. The flapper valve was not sealing properly and this was allowing water to flow at a slow rate into the toilet bowl and down the drain. The slow constant draining of the toilet bowl was letting too much water flow into the septic tank backing up the entire system. A licensed professional plumber was called in to correct the problem. He advised the homeowner not to ignore problems like in the future.

The article “Septic Systems” points out that septic systems are usually regulated by the state or a local authority. The homeowner should make every effort to be sure that their septic system remains in good working order. This can be accomplished by having a professional septic inspection on a yearly basis, which keeps the homeowner in compliance with local regulations.

Regardless of whether your home sits in a state or municipality, Having your septic system installed correctly is critical to its performance, plus you and your families’ overall health and well being. Improperly constructed systems can compromise not only your plumbing system but your exterior yard and property as well.

To perform a proper septic system does not need any high-end special equipment, but some key tools are essential in making your septic inspection easy and accurate. A shovel to find buried access covers, A good flashlight to view inside the Septic tank, A mask or respirator, Along stick and a mirror. It is a very good practice to have the tank pumped prior to inspecting to get an unobstructed view.

Septic tank maintenance is not just an issue for people who live on a farm or out in the country. You might be surprised to discover how many city dwellers need septic tank maintenance as well. Most folks who live in rural areas probably have a septic system instead of a sewer connection, but septic systems are in place all over the nation.

Septic tank maintenance is not just an issue for people who live on a farm or out in the country. You might be surprised to discover how many city dwellers need septic tank maintenance as well. Most folks who live in rural areas probably have a septic system instead of a sewer connection, but septic systems are in place all over the nation.

The photo shows the construction of a septic system with the tanks and the grading leach field. The proper construction and planning of the system in an environment is critical to ensuring the system works properly and does not cause contamination to nearby groundwater.

Construction of a septic system with the tanks and the grading leach field. The proper construction and planning of the system in an environment is critical to ensuring the system works properly and does not cause contamination to nearby groundwater.

septic tanks & leach fields. you may think that these fields don’t are just layers of dirt & the poop under the dirt with a smell but grass and flowers grow on top of these fields and will grow like a front yard grass.