Healthy Homes 11: Electricity Course

This thread is dedicated exclusively for those students currently enrolled in InterNACHI’s free, Healthy Homes 11: Electricity Course.

Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to: detect obvious evidence of insufficient power supply; ensure the availability of adequate and safe lighting and electrical facilities; and discover and correct any obvious hazards related to electrical systems.

Students are free to pose questions and comments here and join in the conversation with other students. The thread will be monitored by the course instructor.

Contact: Chief Academic Officer, Ben Gromicko ben@internachi.org

Inspection & Writing Assignment:

This is an image of an outlet that was improperly installed. This recepticle does not fit in the box and the recepticle was floating in the cut out. There is evidence of arcing from the recepticle touching the outside of the box. This is a safety hazard ans needs evaluated and repaired immediatley by a licenced electrical contractor.

Research & Writing Assignment:

Electrical panels are very dangerous. Caution must be used when evaluating them. Attention must be paid to you surroundings when opening a panel. Make sure you are not standing on wet floors. Make sure u have an exit incase of an arc or pests like bees exit the panel.

This is the grounding connection for the main panel disconnect. It appears it is connected to the panel, however I cannot find the beginning of the wire where it should be attached to the ground rod. It also disappears behind the siding

Electrical service panels need to be approached with extreme caution! This is the heartbeat of the house I feel. I have first hand experience with the danger. My step mom’s boss was killed in his shop preparing to service his 480 amp panel. He did not check to see if it was charged and he touched it and it threw him 15 feet and immediately killed him. I knew this man personally and it was a sad day! Always practice safety first!

Knob and Tube wiring first made its’ appearance in the 1880’s. The first insulation was asphalt-saturated cotton cloth, then rubber became common. It began to be phased out in the 1940’s due to the cost of the installation of this type of wiring. It is now permitted only in a few specific situations in the United States.

The article I chose for review was on knob and tube wiring. It is actually pretty safe but the danger arises from incorrect usage. Problems arise from the fact that it is designed to dissipate heat. This can contribute to fires and was thus banned for use.

this is a 100 amp service in home that I inspected that has many safety concerns. The panel is very crowded loose wiring no panel cover and no ground wire to the copper line . I would recommend a electrical contractor for a opinion

Inspection on a barn you should wear appropriate PPE. look for hazards damage walls roofs look for proper ventilation. Electrical should run through conduits not in plain sight. Extension cords may be overload and a trip hazard check for GFCI protected receptacles

All kitchen outlets must be GFCI protected. Although this outlet is GFCI protected and successfully tripped when tested, it appears to be over 10 years old and I recommend its be replaced as these outlets have a limited life to them.

I read the article about electrical safety. Many electrical shocks are the cause mis-use or poor maintenance. Electrical systems should last indefinitely if properly installed and maintained. You must always keep in mind electricity can be dangerous, and understand things can happen that you do not see that can cause damage to and potential danger from electrical system.

The “octopus” in the image is unsafe. This was plugged into a kitchen countertop receptacle. If enough appliances are plugged into the remaining outlets on the octopus, the result could be very costly and quite possibly deadly. If all available outlets on the octopus are occupied the result could overload the branch circuit wiring and cause a fire.

The image selected is a weatherproof electrical cover. Most local codes now require these type outlet covers, in addition GFCI protection on exterior outlets. This device allows the user to plug an appliance into the outlet and the cover to remain closed. This protects the equipment and the user.

The attached photo is of a 20 amp weather proof GFCI receptacle with an attached weather proof cover. This is not an in use cover, so use should be avoided in inclement weather to prevent moisture from having direct access to the outlet to avoid permanent damage. Cover should always be down when not in use.

The consumer targeted electrical safety article provides valuable information for the consumer. Especially regarding the use of extension cords, portable heaters and educating and protecting their children from accidental electrical shock or electrocution. Covering extension cords seems to be somewhat common to avoid trips without consideration for overheating according to our local fire chief.

This is the inside of a sub panel I inspected last week. You can see that the double pole 30 amp breaker at the top right of the picture is double tapped. This is a potential fire hazard. Overloading a circuit like this should be reported as a safety issue.

When inspecting the main service panel things to look for would be: proper use of romax connectors, grounding and bonding, any signs of scorching or arching, double tapped breakers, open knockouts. Always check panel exterior with back of hand before opening panel.

This GFCI outlet does not have a cover on it as the manufacturer and codes require. It is possible someone or a pet could put their fingers in the gap between the side of the outlet and box and get electrocuted. I should get a cover for that.

I read the article “Electrical Service from Hell”. It was interesting and of course I learned some things. I often call white wires connected to circuit breakers. I usually don’t call multiple ground wires on one lug, it is so common. I am curious to know what other inspectors say about multiple ground wires on one lug.

The photo shows a 200 amp SQ D 120/220 volt electrical panel. The panel is located on the interior southeast wall of the two car garage. The inspection revealed that the panel was installed in 1999 when the home was built. The electrical panel was in good working order at the time of inspection. The only apparent alteration to the panel was the addition of a 120 volt 20 amp GFCI outlet that was installed below and to the left of the electrical panel. The homeowner stated that he had the outlet installed by a professional licensed electrical company. The outlet was used to power electric yard tools.