Healthy Homes 14: Residential Swimming Pools and Spas Course

This thread is dedicated exclusively for those students currently enrolled in InterNACHI’s free, [Healthy Homes 14: Residential Swimming Pools and Spas Course](Healthy Homes 14: Residential Swimming Pools and Spas Course).

Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to: detect major hazards related to residential pools and spas; utilize proper water; testing equipment to determine safety levels; measure pool water hardness and alkalinity; and detect issues with liquid chemical feeders.

Students are free to pose questions and comments here and join in the conversation with other students. The thread will be monitored by the course instructor.

Contact: Chief Academic Officer, Ben Gromicko ben@internachi.org

Research & Writing Assignment:

I read the article Safety Guidelines for Home Pools
With the overwhelming number of pool drownings being young children having all safety barriers in compliance and in good working condition could be the difference between life and death.
I learned that most safety barriers are designed with small children in mind. A child or any one can drown in a matter of seconds and if a guardian thinks they are ok because they would hear the splashing and cries for help they are wrong because most children will go right to the bottom.

Inspection & Writing Assignment:

The DE filter is one of the most popular filters on the market today. Some say that it produces the cleanest water for a pool.

Diatomaceous earth is not only used for filtering water but it is also in metal pastes, tooth paste and soil for potted plants and trees like bonsai.

I chose Inspecting Grounding and Bonding at Residential Swimming Pools. One item that appears to be overlooked quiet often is the requirement to have a properly installed ground to electrical items at pools. This grounding must be in place to insure an electrocution hazard is not present.

Seen in the picture is a typical residential pool equipment set-up. On the far right of the picture the housing for the cartridge filters can be seen. Just left of the cartridge filter is the automatic chlorinator. This unit requires 3" chlorine tablets which are dispensed into the cartridge. This system will continually disinfect the pool water while the pump is operation.

The image selected is a pool plumbing system layout. Most pools will have a main drain or drains as well as skimmers and or scuppers. The pump draws water from the pool through these devices and pumps it through the filter and automatic chlorinator or other disinfecting media. It is important to size the components of the system such that the total volume of pool water passes through the filter every six hours.

The gate entrance to the above ground pool has a few defects. The handrails are 2x6 which makes it difficult to grasp. The gate is less than the recommended height. The gate swings open toward the pool and should swing away. If the gate was to swing away from the pool as a safety precaution it would open directly over the stairs creating another defect because doors or gates should swing open over a landing before stairs begin to descend. For safety reason the gate should also be self closing and latching.

The attached photo shows an above ground pool covered for the winter with most of the operating apparatus disconnected and stored. The snow on the cover substantiates the issue of the cover collecting snow, rain, etc., leading to a breeding ground for insects. Great care should be taken to remove the cover at the earliest possible date to minimize the potential for the growth of bacteria and insects.

The pool water pathogens article informs the reader of the various bacteria that can not only be in a pool, but that some are very hard to eliminate. Pool owners and swimmers should take great care in both ensuring proper chemical treatment is applied and the good hygiene is maintained while swimming.

The photo shows a backyard that is being considered as a location for a family swimming pool. There is a long list of items that must be dealt with before you are able to swim in your dream pool. Permits have to be obtained and there are multiple inspections that need to be performed including plumbing, electrical and rebar. These must be completed before the final inspection that allows the home owner to use the pool.

The article “Swimming Pool Barriers” points out that swimming pools can be hazardous and approximately 250 children drown in residential swimming pools every year. Parents should be diligent about taking all precautions necessary to safe guard their children from the dangers of the family swimming pool. The first step is to make sure that all codes regarding swimming pool safety are followed to the letter. A four foot high safety fence should be installed around the entire pool area with a self closing, self latching gate with the latch facing the pool. A remote alarm, attached to the gate, that sounds off for at least 30 seconds and can be heard in the house is a very valuable safety feature.

Electrical clearances are normally a high scrutinized point to check and verify during a normal residential home inspection. But when it comes to clearances directly over a pool gives an additional concern with clearances to correspond with the additional safety concern.

To keep a swimming pool within safe water levels simple tests can and should be performed prior to seasonal and periodic use. Many test kits like the dip stick or drop tablet sample tests are very simple to perform and a great way to give an “added value” to your inspection services, as compared to your local competitors.

I bought this spa 18 years ago and used it a lot the first 5-7 years. I have replaced various pumps and heater elements. I have not used it for a few years. If I were to get it up and running again I would get the nearby clawfoot bathtub going with hot and cold water and have everyone shower before getting in the tub. This would greatly help balancing the spa water chemistry for greater health and enjoyment.

I read an article about Safety Guidelines for Pools. I learned about 300 children under the age of 5 drown in pools every year. In Florida, California and Arizona drownings are the leading cause of accidental death in children under five. Proper barriers are important to keep children out of pool areas, fences with proper gates and door alarms should be used to keep children out of pools. I learned above ground pools should have some mechanism to keep kids off the ladder or the ladder should be removed.

whirlpool baths. did not have photo of pool or spa some this is the best i can do for now . anyway before inspecting the jets on these unit or even turning on the motor for the jets or tub the water level needs to be above the air jets before turning on the switch. remember that .

pools filters. is a must. no filter no clean water in two or three days of using the pool. filters are the cleaning system of these playtime amusements. fun for the whole family when using in the right way.thank you.

Test strips like the one shown are a very convenient way of monitoring the chemical levels in a pool or hot tub. Some consider kits with drops to be more accurate when done correctly. However, the drop kits tend to leave more room for operator error. An extra or oversized drop can cause inaccurate results. As long as test strips are kept dry and the test pads are not touched, they will provide accurate readings. Also, many manufacturers of the test strips have websites that provide additional information and charts to record test results.

The photo shows the preparation and construction of an inground pool. While the inspector will likely never see the preparation work that goes into a pool installation, it is important to note this preparation can be rather complex. Considering it is not uncommon to see 20,000 gallons of water, or more, in a pool, we can see that at 10 pounds per gallon, the structural requirements to support this amount of weight are significant. Home buyers should always be advised to request any documentation related to the installation of the pool from the home seller. It is also advisable to have a pool expert evaluate the pool for any signs of leaks or structural weaknesses.

it is to to is it my way to is not to see you it is not to many two to tit this it is to isgo to my house to do what is to be the one to see