"Home Energy Blower Door Training" online video course

This thread is dedicated exclusively for those students currently enrolled in the InterNACHI’s online “Home Energy Blower Door Training” video course.

Upon successful completion of this course, the student will understand how to perform a blower door test on a residential property, including setting up the blower door, operating the equipment, and interpreting the test results. The student will also learn:

• basic blower door calculations
  • pressurization vs. depressurization testing
  • multifamily testing
  • blower door software
  • ventilation calculations

And, in keeping with InterNACHI’s commitment to Continuing Education, this course is open and free to all members, and can be taken again and again, without limit.

Students are free to pose questions and comments here and join in the conversation with other students. The thread will be monitored by the course instructor.

This training course was developed in cooperation with Lightly Treading and NACHI.TV.

Contact: Director of Education, Ben Gromicko ben@internachi.org

Inspector training courses: www.nachi.org/education.
Thank you.

1 Like

Hi Ben, You can also share your expertise with others using virtual classroom sessions http://www.wiziq.com/Virtual_Classroom.aspx with an ease. There you can also create your own course and execute it with virtual classroom sessions and using other features of WizIQ.com

Ben,

Some of the questions on the final exam are confusing. They reference information “above” which is not above. Particularly in calculating the NACH etc. It would appear that the info is on other questions but as they are not in order it can be confusing when the question with referenced info has not come up yet.

Working with a BPI trainer, we have improved the Blower Door course’s final examination by:

• reviewing the answers;
  • editing the phrasing; and
  • double-checking accuracy.
1 Like

Ben,

I am glad to see that. Thanks for responding so quickly.

Jeffrey Hoch

Under the design conditions, air pressure for 30 kpa to 200 kpa or compression ratio e = 1.3 ~ 3 fan blower. According to its different effect, more than blower used in the production and living environment. Early drum wind facilities used in metallurgy and natural ventilation, chang smelting furnace at the top of the hill or duty. Temperature increase, the development of metallurgical need into a forced air blast. Blast facility for high temperature combustion and to form an important role. Blast facility use and improvement of relations with the development of metallurgical technology is great, is easy to operate, in order to increase air volume, air pressure, and get the stability of the wind.:)](http://pcb.hqew.net/?s=544864)

Visit this addictive site containing funny facts that could blow your mind.

starting blower door class

Lets get started

I am very interested in this subject and see this class as just a start.

Let’s do this!:slight_smile:

Starting Blower Doors

Hi everyone:
Very helpful course to help understand better how air infiltrates and exfiltrates a house. A homeowner would be very surprised to learn how even the smallest leaks all contribute to that drafty house. The bigger overall picture provided by the blower door testing really shows where and how air is lost.
thanks,
Nat

Starting the course today, knowledge is power.

I am already BPI and RESNET certified. Of all the things that I learned in my training, loss of conditioned air at ceiling supply ducts was the most eye-opening. The loss of conditioned air between the boot and the drywall can be amazing. Returns draw in attic air and supplies leak conditioned air into the attic. Sealing the boots to the drywall (and mastic on all accessible joints) is non-negotiable in any age home.

1 Like

I own Minneapolis blower door and duct blasting equipment. They are great tools for visual demonstrations but the results can scare people into having work done that is unnecessary and possibly even harmful. Contractors use blower doors to get air sealing jobs that make a home too tight and then don’t re-test after the work is complete to see if the home is now too tight. You should be careful to not over-seal and always include a re-test.

Photos are from the preliminary inspection prior to energy audit with blower door. Before we went into the home we could tell from the outside inspection an area of interest to note for our inspection of the interior. The crack in the masonry with efflorescence was evidence of potential water/air intrusion.

Inspection and Writing Assignment

Blower Door Test

Testing uncovered several areas of air leakage, All exterior light switch and receptacles should be sealed. Ceiling Fan Box in the Living Room needs to be seal as well as the exhaust fan boxes in both bathrooms and laundry room. Window and door all seal properly with minimum leakage.

Reading and Writing Assignment

Blower Door Training

Article covers what blower doors are, uses, problem indentification and set-up. Knowing a bit about the outside factors that can influence the results will ensure that the test is performed correctly. Setting up the equipment properly will ensure that testers and occupants are safe, and that the testing and results are accurate.

Conserve Energy and Save Money

Article covers ways to save enegy by sealing air leaks,adding insulation, upgrading eqipment and or installing solar systems to increase energy effiency. Also covers what to look for when purchasing new equipment for additional energy savings.

Blower door training:

This is a picture of air conditioning vent under normal operation creating positive pressure in living space taken with my infrared camera.
Working on adding a blower door to my arsenal.
With that I will create negative pressure and take same photo with system in off position and see if there is a reverse effect with air entry.

flir.jpg