Go Back   InterNACHI Inspection Forum > >

Notices

Student Discussions This is a forum for discussing InterNACHI's Inspection Courses.

Old 12/6/17, 5:20 PM
InterNACHI Member

Default Re: Home Inspector Code of Ethics Course

Hello! Roger Gillispie here😊
Need a home inspection in New Hampshire? Check out InterNACHI's listing of New Hampshire certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 12/12/17, 12:07 PM
InterNACHI Applicant

Default Re: Home Inspector Code of Ethics Course

Hello! Misty Overstreet
Old 12/13/17, 3:31 PM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI) ®

He/She would explain to the house seller that the sole purpose of the inspector is to visually inspect the condition and functionality of the roof, and inquire further if the seller believes their could be a potential hazard that exists that would be unsafe for the inspector to climb onto it.

Old 12/13/17, 3:35 PM
Student Inspector

What if a Home Inspector Misses Something

Reading this article makes it clear that educating and fully informing one's client is the most important strategy in protecting oneself.

With that said, it makes common sense to mitigate bad feelings between client and service provider in a way that suitable to both parties.

Old 12/13/17, 3:35 PM

A potential buyer wants the home inspector to include every possible little detail in the inspection report so as the buyer stated, "I can nickle and dime the seller to death". The inspector advised the buyer that it is in the best interest of all parties involved, that the inspector remain a true third party in this transaction and that the inspector favors neither side of the transaction.

Old 12/13/17, 3:56 PM

Electronic Signatures are ideal for Home Inspections but most states support the Uniform Electronic Transactions Act (UETA)and having a section which states language similar to:

I agree that I may execute this agreement by fax or by an email or text agreeing to its terms. I understand that if I execute this agreement in that fashion, this agreement will be legally binding just as if I had signed an original paper document. I understand that the inspector is relying on this representation as proof that I agree to the terms of this agreement, and that I may not later deny the existence of a binding agreement.

Should be sufficient in most legal situations.

Old 12/13/17, 4:33 PM
InterNACHI Applicant

well thank you but no thank you for your offer. I will not be able to go easy on any inspection because it would be a threefold effect, first I would be in violation as a member of Internachi, second I would be hurting fellow Home Inspectors and third I would be dishonoring the profession as whole.

Old 12/13/17, 4:44 PM
InterNACHI Applicant

I have learned the importance of continuing education because it boost your credibilty not only to mortgage brokers and mortgage agents, but in cases involving law suits. If I have a good tract record of contined education, It to my favor If a client tries to sue me.

Old 12/13/17, 4:45 PM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI)

Send a message via AIM to krunquist

The inspector reports on the condition of the roof. Over stating or understating the condition of the roof is unethical. We strive to be accurate and fair in all situations. If there is a question about the reported conditions we would encourage you to get a second opinion from a roofing contractor.

Old 12/13/17, 4:56 PM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI)

Send a message via AIM to krunquist

Article is electrical service panels. All electrical service panels should be internally inspected except when it is unsafe to do so. This is typically due to clearances of the panel. In the case of too little clearance you can disclaim the panel and have no liability due to safety concerns.

Old 12/13/17, 5:26 PM
InterNACHI Member

I explain to the seller that the duty of a home inspector is to inform his client of the actual condition of each system of the house, so the buyer can make an informed decision. The home inspector doesnt give a guess about the condition but provides facts with photos to describe the condition of the system.

Old 12/13/17, 5:26 PM

Doing your job at an inspection can sometimes cause things to break. This does not necessarily mean the inspector is at fault. The item may have broke do to normal wear and tear. It is good for the inspector to find these things even though damage may have happened from normal operation of the item. The inspector should not always assume they are responsible for the repair.

Old 12/13/17, 5:27 PM

The home seller requests I dont need to access the attic as its 100 degrees outside and theres nothing up there anyway. I would at this point politely explain to the home owner that although I dont like hot spaces myself, it is my due diligence that I complete my inspection in its entirely to ensure myself, and the potential buyers of any issues.

Need a home inspection in New Hampshire? Check out InterNACHI's listing of New Hampshire certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 12/13/17, 5:35 PM
InterNACHI Member

The home inspector should pay attention houses with oil tank. Its his duty to protect his client form faulty tank present or pass. Regardless of its cause, cleaning up an oil spill is extremely expensive, often costing hundreds of thousands of dollars or more, and putting homeowners in danger of bankruptcy. So the home inspector must not cut corners when dealing with that type of equipment and make a close inspection and look for signs.

Old 12/13/17, 5:36 PM

The Seller of the home has asked "Me" the home inspector to "look the other way" about a very Listing/leaning Chimney that could cause a saftey hazard.
I would say to the seller of the home," The chimney is a saftey concern for those that may be underneath the listing/leaning chimney", and it should be absolutley addressed for the saftey of others, the potential Buyers and their Children. The Monitary value of fixing the Chimney should not skew what should morally,ehtically, and for safteys sake be done correctly before selling the home.