Go Back   InterNACHI Inspection Forum > >

Notices

Student Discussions This is a forum for discussing InterNACHI's Inspection Courses.

Old 7/25/16, 5:46 PM
Student Inspector

Default Re: Home Inspector Code of Ethics Course

Here is my required essay for the Ethics Course.
Enjoy!

While performing a home inspection for a potential buyer, the seller is present for the inspection and the buyer is not for some odd reason. During the course of the inspection, several issues are found with the electrical system and the structural integrity of the house. Open junction boxes are found in the attic and the electrical panel is outdated and overloaded. Also under the house floor joists have been cut in order to install a toilet waste line on a previous remodel (this is in an area that does not have any building code enforcement) and other joists have severe termite damage. Large foundation cracks were also noted due to settling, likely caused by water running against the foundation due to improper grading. Before the Inspector leaves the house, the seller contacts his best buddy, the Real Estate Agent. The Agent then gets on phone with the Inspector and offers him a steak dinner and referrals if he will eliminate some of the more expensive issues noted on the Inspection Report. After all, the seller is under a lot of pressure to sell the house as he has bought another and can’t afford wait any longer. If the Inspector accepts the bribe and revises his Inspection Report it will be a violation of the Code of Ethics.
Need a home inspection in New Hampshire? Check out InterNACHI's listing of New Hampshire certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 7/25/16, 6:25 PM
Student Inspector

Here is my second required Ethics course essay.
Enjoy!

The article, Ceiling Fan Inspection, by Nick Gromicko, I found to be very informative. The article describes the various ceiling fan components and problems found with placement and installation. One item in the article that I would like some further information on is the placement of fans outdoors in “damp” or “wet” locations. I believe most would consider their front porch to be a “damp” location and not a “wet” location. However, in my area of the Midwest we often have strong storms that blows rain it seems horizontally! Depending perhaps on how the porch area is constructed, would a covered porch be considered a “wet” location? I realize a ceiling fans location on the ceiling helps protect it from most downpours but I not sure about strong storms with heavy rain.
Old 7/25/16, 6:30 PM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI)

Code Of Ethics Essay
A veteran realtor has worked with multiple inspectors and mentions to you that they have helped to turn several inspectors from “zeros to heroes”. The realtor implies that he only refers those inspectors who are not “nit-picky” when it comes to their report because it makes it easier for all parties in the end. If you as an inspector are able to “go easy” on your report the realtor can continually refer you to make you a “hero”. Altering your report writing to a realtor’s standards would be against the Code of Ethics.
Old 7/25/16, 7:15 PM
InterNACHI Applicant

Code of ethics for Home Inspectors – Research Exercise – by Daniel Rosales 7/25/2016
Bat Infestation article by by Nick Gromicko and Kenton Shepard

Bats in NW Florida by Daniel Rosales

The article titled Bat Infestation written by Nick Gromicko and Kenton Shepard was very educational to me. I learned a lot about bats and how they can affect my attic inspections in the future.

Bats carry disease
According to the following web page http://www.wec.ufl.edu/extension/wil...o/faq/bats.php , “Some of this fear comes from the misconception that most bats carry rabies when, in fact, less than 1/2 of 1 percent carry the disease”. In light of this quote, I can enter any attic knowing that unless there is a massive infestation of bats, one bat is not likely to hurt me. They do not attack humans as popularized by the movie Dracula.

Bats are common
I have personally seen bats in flight in NW Florida around my father-in-law’s house. It appears they roost in the massively tall trees behind his house. These bats take flight right after the sun has gone down over the horizon. They are harmless as they seek out insects to feast upon throughout the night.

Removing bats from attic
According to the following web page, http://www.floridabats.org/ProblemBats.htm, bat removal is illegal in Florida from April 16 through August 14 due to the breeding season. Removing bats from a home is called a “bat exclusion” and should be handled only by a professional.

Summary
Although bats are mysterious animals, they serve a critical ecological function in North America. Unfortunately, they are potential host agents for rabies so they should not be touched or approached carelessly. If encountering a bat problem in an attic, a bat exclusion(removal) is recommended which should be conducted by a professional in accordance with stipulations designated by Florida State law.

Last edited by drosales; 7/25/16 at 8:18 PM..
Old 7/25/16, 8:12 PM

Code of Ethics Part 2
I don't remember ever reading about my HOA rules but it has been a topic of discussion with my friends and family lately. The InterNACHI article "The Dark Side of Home Owners Associations" can really drive a home owner crazy. It seems that most of the issues could be solved with common decency. For example a phone call to notify that someone is behind on their dues doesn't seem to be asking too much before they foreclose on your home. Recently there was an issue with an HOA upset with the color of a playground in someone's backyard. Wow! I've always been a rule follower but sometimes you have to scratch your head at the things the HOA does. Would it be against the code of ethics to mention to a buyer if they've seen the neighbords HOA rules before they buy (just saying)?
Old 7/25/16, 8:20 PM
InterNACHI Student

To be influenced by Agents that have a financial interest in the outcome of a home inspection is a violation of the code of ethics. All inspections deserve the best the Inspector has to offer free from unethical influences
Old 7/25/16, 8:23 PM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI) ®

I am a retired GC and the residence inspected last month has remediation required that I am qualified to perform I can do this after a 12 month window has past. Performing work on an inspected residence within the 12 month period would be a violation.
Old 7/25/16, 8:44 PM

This is my hypothetical situation showing ethics violation:
I am being paid my the home buyer to do an inspection of a home where I find damage to walls and ceiling drywall. Once I have disclosed this damage to the potential buyer and before they leave, I offer to repair the damage for a reasonable fee so that the buyer and seller can come to a mutual agreement quickly.
This action would be against the Code of Ethics regarding a 12 month waiting period before discussing me doing any repairs on said property.
Old 7/25/16, 8:59 PM
InterNACHI Applicant

Conflict of Interest Essay

I am a professional handyman. There will be many opportunities for me to fix something I may find wrong in a home that I have inspected. However, I am not allowed to work on any residence or building I inspect for 1 year after the inspection. I will maintain my professional integrity by doing an honest and fair inspection every time and maintain a clear boundary with my clients as to my role in the process.
In order for me to succeed as a home inspector, I must maintain a high standard of ethics and follow the standards of practice completely
Old 7/25/16, 9:35 PM

Here is a description of a hypothetical situation that would violate the code of ethics.

I perform an inspection on a property on August 1, 2016. I prepare the home inspection report on-site for the prospective buyer. There are only a few issues the prospective buyer was concerned about that could potentially derail the transaction. After the prospective buyer has departed the property, as I am loading my ladder and tools, the buyer's agent mentions I have the required tools on hand to perform the necessary repairs outlined in my report. The agent further advises that she is in the running for an office competition, and closing this deal in August will ensure a win in the competition. The agent offers me the cost of materials plus $200 to complete the repairs and help expedite the close.

There are several potential violations here. Making repairs on a property I inspected within 12 months, and the blatant financial incentive from the buyer's agent are the most severe violations.
Old 7/25/16, 9:36 PM

Default Re: Research excersize

When reading about mold testing, there were a couple of statements that I question regarding the length of time an air test needs to run. I found this statement, "Ten minutes is an adequate amount of time for the air pump to run while taking samples, but this can be reduced to around five minutes if there is a concern that air movement from a lot of indoor activity could alter the results."

I worked for a mold remediation company and I was trained to be very specific with regard to the speed of air being input to the canister, as well as the amount of time. The method was call 5M/5M (5 mil for 5 minutes). The pump actually had a setting for the amount of air being drawn in per minute. We set the canister on the tripod stand. started the pump, then immediately started the timer.

This allowed for the independent lab to send back a reasonable ppm (parts per million) thus showing the concentration of spore counts for any molds detected in that location.

The other rule of thumb was never to do air tests in crawl spaces. You can almost guarantee that Pen/Asp (Pennisilium/Aspergillus) will show up every time near or on the untreated floor joists. (by "untreated" I am referring to the lack of light, vapor barrier, water intrusion remediation, ventilation and/or dehumidification for that space.) Mold is almost everywhere on our planet; it just needs the right conditions to start a family!
Old 7/25/16, 9:54 PM

For this course's essay portion, I read "Closing Costs," by Nick Gromicko. There are a variety of "payments" included in closing costs, all of which are outlined in great detail for anyone willing to read lengthy mortgage documents. This article did a very good job explaining closing costs in broad strokes. In particular, the tips for reducing or negotiating closing costs are quite valuable.
Old 7/25/16, 10:20 PM
Community Guest

It is unethical for an InterNACHI Member to falsify a report for the benefit of an agent or any other interested party. All reports must be accurate and truthful.
Need a home inspection in New Hampshire? Check out InterNACHI's listing of New Hampshire certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 7/25/16, 11:10 PM
Student Inspector

A conflict of interest would be if I wrote a report. Then the real estate agent asked me to make a report that doesn’t ruin the deal and I reword the report.
Old 7/25/16, 11:17 PM
Student Inspector

To find the area of a square roof you have to measure the length and width. then you multiply the length by the width to find the area.