Go Back   InterNACHI Inspection Forum > >

Notices

Student Discussions This is a forum for discussing InterNACHI's Inspection Courses.

Old 9/19/18, 9:52 PM
InterNACHI Member

Research & Writing Assignment:

I read the article on 10 ways to save money & energy in your home and learnt that one should find better ways to heat and cool their houses, replace incandescent lights, install efficient showerheads and toilets, use electronics & appliances responsibly, insulate windows & doors, cook smart etc.

Need a home inspection in New Hampshire? Check out InterNACHI's listing of New Hampshire certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 9/19/18, 10:09 PM
InterNACHI Member

Class,
Here is my submission. Last month an agent called me out to a home to do a pool inspection. Once I was done, we spoke and she told me what a pain in the *** its been for her to try and unload this property, (Possible reason, Home is $7,000,000 and not in at all the condition it should be.) She then told me that its her parents home, and she grew up here. She was cool, so I was trying to be cool back to her. I told her that the pool had had a few major previous repair areas, and its very possible that due to some structural cracks in the skimmer and other areas that have signs of leaking, that her pool might also be leaking. She said, "OH GOD, PLEASE DON'T PUT THAT IN THE REPORT, I DON'T WANT TO HEAR IT FROM THE BUYER." I didn't say anything to that comment she made, When I sent her the report, I never heard anything back from her. But I defiantly made note on everything that I told her, that she told me to leave out. Its not my fault she is not disclosing such information to the seller. YOU chose me for the job because of how detailed I make my pool inspection reports, Her pool inspection report was 26 pages. I only inspected the pool. In this case, the customer is not always right. As an Inspector my job is to catch these imperfections.
Jeff

Old 9/19/18, 11:37 PM
InterNACHI Member

Most attorneys will never take on a home inspection case in they are up against a master inspector. its just a known fact, a master home inspector will have higher insurance then your average home inspector. Although anything is possible, most home inspectors turn away difficult clients to avoid a potential lawsuit. I turn down clients every day.
The likely hood that a law suit may happen is slim if you pick and chose your clients by reading them on the phone. In the beginning I took every call I could get on, just to try and build my new business up. I had only 3-4 problem customers in the beginning. Now I turn down a lot, to avoid a problem. Carrying an E and O policy is very important. I carry and E and O and a GL.

Old 9/19/18, 11:47 PM
InterNACHI Member

Upon inspecting the roof the seller has asked me to "go easy". I cannot "go easy", this puts my code of ethics in jeopardy. As listed in inspection report there are many recommendations due to the poor condition of the roof system.

Old 9/19/18, 11:55 PM
InterNACHI Member

Upon inspecting the roof the seller has asked me to "go easy". I cannot "go easy", this puts my code of ethics in jeopardy. As listed in inspection report there are many recommendations due to the poor condition of the roof system.

Old 9/19/18, 11:58 PM
InterNACHI Member

While doing my porch inspection, I started with my outlets first one checked failed as it was not a GFCI plug. Stated under section of porch and electrical I state that GFCI plug are required and homeowner is required to get this repair complete before sell of home.

Old 9/20/18, 1:19 AM
InterNACHI Member

While performing any type of home inspection and anyone ask you to do anything that violates the code of ethics you should explain to them that you job is done by a standard of ethics and you will only follow by those standards

Old 9/20/18, 1:23 AM
InterNACHI Applicant

Ethics is so important these days and I am glad to see that at least InterNachi takes them seriously. As a real estate agent transitioning into the home inspection field, I know all to well what lengths "professionals" will go to in order to earn a quick buck. I am glad to see the ethics that InterNachi Members has to abide by.

Old 9/20/18, 1:26 AM
InterNACHI Applicant

In the code of ethics it says that we should always be educating our clients about the home inspection process. I read the article titled "FAQ for home buyers and sellers" and thought a lot of that information would be useful for them and I might include it in my marketing or apart of the value I give to them. It is useful information for them that will make choosing a home inspector and doing a home inspection much easier.

Old 9/20/18, 4:58 AM
New User

Please Note: mhenson is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with InterNACHI or its members.

Inspecting properties for sellers or buyers is really quite simple. You observe the home as if you were buying it for yourself. If it has deficiencies they are noted and you recommend a professionals opinion on the matter. Your job as an inspector should always be unbiased at all times wether your dealing with the seller or buyer

Old 9/20/18, 8:23 AM
InterNACHI Applicant

Being asked by a client to "look the other way" or not report on a household defect is ethically unacceptable. One of the core tenants of being a home inspector is to operate as an impartial 3rd party and report on all defects found during a home inspection.

Old 9/20/18, 8:36 AM
InterNACHI Applicant

Upon completion of the "Easy steps that help home inspectors avoid lawsuits", it is apparent that InterNACHI has a wealth of education, experience and preventive measures to avoid lawsuits. Applying some combination of these time tested principles equips a home inspector / business owner for potential lawsuits.

Old 9/20/18, 9:43 AM
InterNACHI Member

This situation involves a prospective client who doesn't wish to sign an agreement, however proceeding with the home inspection. At that point I suggest we meet in person at a neutral location other than the inspection site for discussion .
As best I can, I try to communicate to the client the internachi code of ethics that I'm bound to which promotes and insures the integrity of the organization as well as the industry as a whole . I further explain the need of the agreement for the protection of the clients, sellers and myself . The agreement details what is being inspected and how the inspection or inspections were performed . This also allows the client to ask questions and resolve any differences or ask about any inspections that I may not be performing .

Need a home inspection in New Hampshire? Check out InterNACHI's listing of New Hampshire certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 9/20/18, 10:19 AM
New User

Please Note: mhenson is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with InterNACHI or its members.

I think it is of utmost importance that the client come to the inspection after I have completed with it. I almost always insist that they come then, so I am not distracted in any way from questions during the process and they always do agree. When we go through the findings together there becomes a bonding process. I like to show what concerns me and what should concern them now and in the future. This process usually works to build the trust and avoids any potential animosity later on. To let them know you are always there to answer any questions or to be their consultant is priceless.

Old 9/20/18, 10:27 AM
InterNACHI Applicant

The home inspector is hired by a client and the inspector finds out that he has a personal relationship with the seller of the home. This would pose a conflict of interest between the client and the seller of the home. I would disclose the existing relationship and suggest the use of an alternative home inspector.