'House as a System' Course

This thread is dedicated exclusively for those students currently enrolled in the InterNACHI course titled, “House as a System.” Students are free to pose questions and comments here and join in the conversation with other students. The thread will be monitored by the course instructor.

A house is a system of interdependent parts: Mechanical and physical components. The operation of one part affects many others. When they all work together, the house is comfortable, safe, efficient, and durable.

This course teaches the inspector to:
  • become aware of the potential for interaction among building components and mechanical systems;
  • understand how air sealing a home can negatively affect indoor air quality; and
  • be able to recognize typical air leakage sites and know how they are corrected.

In keeping with InterNACHI’s commitment to Continuing Education, this course is open and free to all members, and can be taken again and again, without limit.

Contact: Director of Education, Ben Gromicko ben@internachi.org
Free inspector training courses: www.nachi.org/education.

Thank you.

7 Likes

Ben, that sounds like an interesting venture and learning course that will be quite comprehensive.
Let me guess; Kenton is involved. :wink:

This reminds me of courses I took years ago from CertainTeed given to me on disc by one of their representatives. It was called The Systems Approach to Building a House.
It was excellent.

I took all the course shown in this link here and would also encourage others to follow up.
http://216.83.181.215/elearning/certainteed/resources/index.jsp

Thanks Ben, for all the work you do. :):smiley:

What do you know I did that too!!!
The best HAAS course I took was almost 10 years back.
Even at this time there still was miss informed “Code Officials” that did not have a grasp of the importance. I cannot find any info that matches it today. Certainteed is good and all should take at least it to get a good understanding of HAAS.
Just went to see if I could still log in YEP!

Thanks, Marcel.
InterNACHI Energy Auditor training coming… InterNACHI

Ben, I just want to say that you and the rest of the Staff are doing an excellent job at putting out all this educational material for the Members.

My thanks goes out to all of you. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Keep it up.
I understand in Vegas the house simply has a system.:slight_smile:

Ben … you need to fix something that I am sure is simply an oversight on your part.

You are presenting a slide presentation under the title of the U.S. Department of Energy’s name and logo in which you (or someone) has changed the wording.

The original slide prepared by the U.S.Department of Energy reads “Energy Auditors are the only people commonly trained in House as a System Science.”

The slide that you publish, still bearing the identification of having been presented by the U.S. Department of Energy, has been altered to read: “InterNACHI inspectors and energy auditors are the only people commonly trained in House as a System Science”.

The alteration makes it appear that the U.S. Department of Energy has published this as fact when, as we know, it has not.

You should probably correct this before DOE feels compelled to publicly deny having ever made such an indorsement. Perhaps changing the slide to omit the U.S. Department of Energy heading, adding a footnote or some other means of identifying this opinion as not originating from the U.S. Department of Energy might work.

1 Like

Ben
I just completed the new “House as a System” course.
I like it; very good course.
I do have a few comments.

1. the course has multiple videos, the only problem is, many areas in the coutry do not have access to high speed internet. Is there a way you could create a powerpoint or pdf summary with the info contained in the videos?
  2. the following question was in the course:
    A house that is properly air sealed and mechanically vented has the correct amount of air exchange all the time. (T/F).
    The only issue I have with this question (and the correct answer=true), is that we are assuming the mechanically vented appliances or devices are functioning properly. I am hesitant using the word ‘always’ or the phrase ‘all the time’ (absolutes).
    What do you think about using these terms and absolutes?
    Anyway, nice course; Thanks.

Ben,

Very good course! ( A good refresher, for this week)

Your Results

for “House as a System”

Congratulations! You’ve passed this exam with a final score of 100! Below is your unique session code. This code will help us verify your score if the need should ever arise, and if you’re taking this exam within the context of an online course you will need your unique session code to finish that course.
Unique Session Code: EDU-0000-3041-75

started it today, looks good Ben, also good to see BSI

Marcel Cyr:

Congratulations! You passed the InterNACHI exam ‘House as a System’ with a final score of 100 (a score of 80 or better was required to pass this exam). If you ever need to have InterNACHI verify this information, you will need the following code:

EDU-0000-3043-40

Nice job Ben.
Good course. :slight_smile:

Enjoyed the course, great refresher.

You better get 100% on this one Marcel!
It is nothing like the one I had to do in 2001. Even the seasoned building inspectors failed this one and they only needed to get 70%.
Nice job Ben and the Nachi staff.

Beauchemin,Marc-Andre
BMAinspection.com

Congratulations! You’ve passed this exam with a final score of 100! Below is your unique session code. This code will help us verify your score if the need should ever arise, and if you’re taking this exam within the context of an online course you will need your unique session code to finish that course.
Unique Session Code: EDU-0000-3081-69
Enjoyed this course, thank you Ben.

Thanks Ben House as a system a great refresher

As a home builder for 40 plus years, the “house as a system” has always been a point of discussion, I look forward to your take on it. Thanks for your continued dedication to what we do. Marc Schonbak

Are the Certain Teed courses free? Looks like registration is required but no mention of cost.

No cost when I signed up 5 years back!

No cost and very comprehensive. :slight_smile:

Ben;

Great coarse