Go Back   InterNACHI Inspection Forum > >

Notices

Student Discussions This is a forum for discussing InterNACHI's Inspection Courses.

Old 2/11/19, 12:37 PM
InterNACHI Member

Inspection & Writing Assignment:

wile inspecting my home attic i found that the insulation on it is not enough for a good insulating grade rate i will have to dump a lot more insulation on that area of the attic which is the one that needs the insulation

How to Inspect the Attic, Insulation, Ventilation and Interior Course
Need a home inspection in Kentucky? Check out InterNACHI's listing of Kentucky certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 2/11/19, 12:38 PM
InterNACHI Member

Research & Writing Assignment:

When getting into an attic and observing the insulation be aware of and discoloration in the insulation. This discoloration could be a sign of dirt or dust being allowed into the attic space or even mold from moisture. Also check that the attic is venting properly, this could be a cause of the discoloration.

Old 2/11/19, 12:42 PM
InterNACHI Member

installing attic insulation i learned that When inspecting an attic, ensuring that there is a free flow of outside air from the soffits to the roof vents is key to a well-functioning insulation system. The lack of adequate ventilation in insulated attics is a common defect

Old 2/11/19, 12:53 PM
InterNACHI Member

This is a class 3 vapor retarder installed on the exterior of the home prior to siding being installed. This is designed to prevent water from saturating the sheathing if it penetrates the exterior wall surface. This product should cover the entire exterior envelope along with door and window framing members.

Old 2/11/19, 2:06 PM
InterNACHI Applicant

There is approximately 4 inches of blown in rockwool insulation in the attic. This is an R-value of about 11 which is quite low. In Connecticut the R-value should be at least 49. Therefore additional insulation with at least an R-value of 38 should be added to the attic floor. This would be accomplished by adding one layer 12" thick rockwool or fiberglass insulation over the existing rockwool insulation.

Old 2/11/19, 2:23 PM
InterNACHI Member

When inspecting attics with loose fill insulation the inspector should look for baffles installed at the eaves. This allows for proper ventilation of the attic space. The inspector should be aware that loose fill roughly equates to an r value of 4 per inch of fill. Look for areas missing insulation, or compacted insulation.

Old 2/11/19, 2:25 PM
InterNACHI Applicant

10 Easy Ways to Save Money & Energy in Your Home article: One great way to minimize wasted energy in your home is to reduce heat loss through the attic floor. Check for and plug any holes in the ceiling that penetrate the insulated attic floor. Also, check for areas of the attic that are missing insulation or have too little insulation.

Old 2/11/19, 3:15 PM
InterNACHI Member

This is an up close photo of two windows taken from the exterior side of a sun room. There are 12 windows total, all of them are missing house wrap, siding, and flashing at the top and bottom. Windows were sealed with a silicone sealant. This is an improper installation. Silicone sealant may only last 6 - 12 months and even pressure treated wood can begin to rot over time. This is a minor defect and recommend correction or replaced by a qualified contractor.

Old 2/11/19, 4:05 PM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI) ®

Insulation has fallen from the floor joists in the crawlspace. The insulation should be put back into place for efficiency reasons and to help ensure an insulated envelope for the main section of the floor. The insulation appears to be six-inch rolled batt insulation.

Old 2/11/19, 4:17 PM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI) ®

Insulation and moisture diffusion is an important part of a home. The insulation must be installed properly to prevent potential moisture intrusion and damage. Different types of insulation have different purposes in different climates and regulations. The main point of insulation is not for heat but moisture diffusion.

Old 2/11/19, 4:39 PM
InterNACHI Member

Possible mold/mildew discovered during the home inspection. Because certain types of mold may be toxic and result in adverse health effects, it is strongly recommended that a mold inspection be performed by a qualified professional to determine the presence and type, and that corrections be made.

Old 2/11/19, 4:39 PM
InterNACHI Member

There are many things and numbers to remember when inspecting the stairs and surrounding areas such as handrails and spindles. I am really enjoying learning all these things and it's great to know that if I ever need the information you guys provide it to all of us members whenever we need it. This course was involving many different things and that did keep it interesting. I will do he best I can to remember all of the numbers and thing I learned so they can help me do an excellent inspection.

Old 2/11/19, 4:44 PM
InterNACHI Member

Ventilation in extremely important in homes because of moisture and toxic gases. Moisture can destroy parts of a house and cause mold to form. Toxic gases can possibly kill innocent people. Spot ventilation is a great idea when used correctly and should be properly vented outside only.

Need a home inspection in Kentucky? Check out InterNACHI's listing of Kentucky certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 2/11/19, 4:45 PM
InterNACHI Member

Pull down stairs could pose a safety hazard. The inspector should evaluate the pull down stairs prior to using them. The inspector should check if the ladder sets uniformly on the ground, look for loose hardware, check tension springs for too tight or too loose, check for damaged treads & look for structural damage from installation.

Old 2/11/19, 4:49 PM
InterNACHI Member

For my Inspection and written assignment I chose to complete a thorough inspection of my sister's attic. I inspected the attic access, the insulation and vapour barrier, and the attic's ventilation. The house is located in Alberta, Canada, and was built in the mid 1990's. There are plans for some renovations in the near future so this would be an excellent opportunity to have a look for any issues or deficiencies that could also be addressed.

According to the 2006 International Residential Code R807.1, the Attic access in this home is in compliance. It is located in the center of a large walk-in closet that has a 50"x50" open area below, more than enough room for my step ladder. The removable panel is of an insulated box-type with approximately 4 1/2" of high density foam inside. The opening complies exactly with the minimum IRC standard measuring 30"x22", and allows extra headroom for entry at 36", rather than the 30" requirement. Upon entry, I noticed a small patch that has gone black and a build up of frost on the attic access walls, which suggests to me added moisture, a lack of a proper seal around the access panel, and a possible ventilation issue.

This attic has been insulated with a yellow, loose fiber, fiberglass insulation. It has been blown in at a thickness of 12", there by covering the roof trusses rafters by 8 1/2" and combats thermal bridging through the ceiling. When we multiply the depth by 2.5, we find the insulation has an R-value of 30. This house is in the north and is located in a Climate Zone 8. According to the Insulation Requirements Table, this house falls short, and should have insulated to a value of R-49. The difference amounts to a shortage of approximately 7 1/2" of insulation. Perhaps some of the thickness missing is due to settling.

The house's attic is ventilated by means of continuous soffit vents and square roof louvres near the peak. Each roof truss has been fitted with a cardboard type baffle to prevent blown insulation from falling onto, and blocking the vented soffits. These baffles also ensure the insulation covers the top of the exterior walls completely, preventing any thermal bridging or heat loss. The attic in this house is quite large, measuring approximately 30'x29', equaling approximately 870 square feet. The vented soffit runs the entire perimeter of the house having no gable ends. There are three louvre vents near the peak venting this entire space.

After completing a thorough inspection of my sister's attic, I have come to a few conclusions that I hope are accurate and correct. There were a few points I did not touch on, as my essay seemed to grow long very quickly. Some examples would be a plumbing vent broken or separated at the rubber roof flashing that needs to be addressed right away. Along the way, I made random checks under the insulation for the vapour barrier between the trusses and the ceiling, and with no visual signs of any issues from inside the home, I believe it is in good order. The same can be said for the 2 bathroom fan vents and the dryer vent terminating through the roof. The piping is straight, insulated and is sealed with a vapour barrier. I noticed that there was quite a bit of frost accumulated throughout the attic which may suggest a high moisture context and that the ventilation may not be sufficient. I also wonder if any extra moisture may have anything to do with the depth of insulation being shy of the standards and if it hasn't been compressed down under the added weight. I want to think that my sister could have some insulation added to her attic to help with her home's efficiency and perhaps, adding another roof louvre to help move air through her attic may help with the extra moisture.