Go Back   InterNACHI Inspection Forum > >

Notices

Student Discussions This is a forum for discussing InterNACHI's Inspection Courses.

Old 9/30/18, 6:16 PM
InterNACHI Member

Inspection & Writing Assignment:

When inspecting double pain windows it is sometimes difficult to know if they have lost the barrier seal in the window. I have come across many windows that are dirty, early morning haze or a cloudy day might have an affect on the clarity of the window. I am very careful on what I put in my report and come back to those windows multiple times during my inspection to see if any changes have occurred before I make the entry in my report.

"How to Inspect Manufactured and Mobile Homes" online course
Need a home inspection in Idaho? Check out InterNACHI's listing of Idaho certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 9/30/18, 6:19 PM
InterNACHI Member

Research & Writing Assignment:

I have as of yet to do an inspection on a trailer, but I will probably have to take alot of pictures and do some research before I send my report to my customer. Their are alot of rules to the foundation and measurement requirements on where things should be in a manufactured home. I will be using the study guide that was part of the training to assist me with my report.

Old 9/30/18, 8:57 PM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI)

When inspecting a manufactured home, it was observed that there was no proper crawl space opening due to deck construction and plumbing piping, no other access was provided. Also noted was the skirting provided for the home was in direct contact with the dirt surface was untreated lumber. A permanent addition had been added with a foundation however the roof section had been modified No documentation for engineered approval was available for the modifications. It was concluded due to poor workmanship a structural engineer was recommended to review.

Old 9/30/18, 9:07 PM

When studying this course for manufactured homes even with a barrier installed on the floor system it still needs a vapor barrier which would have to be overlapped and sealed to meet HUD requirements . The barrier should be sealed around all piers and edges.

Old 10/2/18, 10:39 PM
Student Inspector

in this picture you can see that the ground under the mobile home is covered by a moisture barrier. the foundation appears to be properly ventilated and insulated under the mobile home. also the pre fabricated piers are on the proper footings.

Old 10/2/18, 10:47 PM
Student Inspector

I read the article called modular vs. manufactured homes. modular homes are homes that are built in a factory and transported in sections to the building site. manufactured homes are mobile homes. the article discusses the various differences and advantages between the two.

Old 10/3/18, 2:37 PM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI) ®

Skirting: On this mobile home the skirting is non-existent in some locations. Where there is skirting, we have a mish-mash of lattice panel, decorative fencing, some type of masonry with extra bricks along the bottom run. The wooden aspects are either not proper material nor installed correctly. The large openings are a potential danger for children who wouldnt know better to not play underneath the mobile home and also larger critters (e.g. raccoons) could possibly make be nesting there.

Old 10/3/18, 2:56 PM

Material Defects: A major point made in the article Material Defects Defined for Home Inspectors is that even though some component of a house may be near its defined end of life cycle, does not make it a defective component. As such it is important to understand what is a material defect since we are required to report only those elements. Ive seen reports that are divided into emergent type of symptoms needing immediate attention and another section stating that those list items are to be monitored and may require scrutiny at a later date.
This may make for a very large and worrisome report and I believe it is enough to adhere to InterNachis SoP to guide the inspector as to what needs to be included and what can be dropped from an over zealous report.

Old 10/6/18, 2:29 AM

Porches and open floor areas of mobile homes are permitted to use lattice or open skirting; however, the perimeter of the living space must use an approved closed skirting with a minimum of 8 vents located on 3 sides of the home.

Old 10/6/18, 2:34 AM

I chose the gallery image entitled "block pier." This image depicts the proper configuration of a block pier foundation for a manufactured home. A footing, an 8X8X16" double stacked block, and a 4" solid cap. It also depicts proper black vapor barrier.

Old 10/10/18, 2:57 PM
InterNACHI Member

OSB skirting was found to be present under this manufactured home. The skirting should not be of a material that will be damaged from moisture or ground contact. Additionally, supporting members should also consist of treated lumber or another product rated for ground contact

Old 10/10/18, 3:07 PM
InterNACHI Member

In aorder to prevent excessive moisture conditions under a manufactured home, the sub-structure should be properly ventilated with crawlspace vents on at least three side. Additionally, a proper vapor barrier should be installed covering all the earth below the home.

Old 10/10/18, 4:13 PM

November 08,2018 i inspected a home with two crawlspaces. There was only access to one of them. The original part of the home has no crawlspace access or vents and this addition had one vent on the front and one vent on the back of the crawlspace so aside from not enough vents, they were covered with mulch. The vapor retarder was not sealed and has several holes in it. Moisture had got into it pulling it down and turning the insulation black. With lack of ventilation water was dripping down everywhere. They have some improvements to make here as well as making access to the other crawlspace. I can only imagine the condition it is in.

Need a home inspection in Idaho? Check out InterNACHI's listing of Idaho certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 10/10/18, 4:18 PM

November 08, 2018 i inspection this crawlspace which was under a 11 year old addition. The original part of the home also had a crawl space but no access and no vents. This crawlspace had a vent at the front and one at the back. There are two issues, not enough vents and the two that were there were covered with mulch. This crawlspace is getting no air flow as you can see the colour of the insulation and the vapour retarder is not sealed so water got in causing it to get heavy and come down .Water is dripping down everywhere. I can only imagine the condition of the older unvented crawlspace

Old 10/11/18, 10:39 PM

This manufactured home skirting is well built with proper ventilation installed. The materials will hold up to the extremes of weather and no gaps or openings were visible. Frost heave was taken into consideration and accounted for in the design and construction.