Go Back   InterNACHI Inspection Forum > >

Notices

Student Discussions This is a forum for discussing InterNACHI's Inspection Courses.

Old 12/10/15, 10:11 AM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI)

Default Re: "How to Inspect Manufactured and Mobile Homes" online course

Article: Bathroom Ventilation Ducts and Fans
Bathrooms with windows installed are still required to have an exhaust fan to ventilate odor and moisture. The fan connects to a duct that vents to the exterior of the home. The duct should be as short and straight as possible to avoid areas that capture and hold moisture. This may allow mold to form and escape the duct if not properly sealed. Mold may not be obvious inside the bathroom but may be building up in the attic or crawlspace. Decay is another result of "invisible" moisture intrusion and the affected wood may have lost up to 50% of it's strength before detected.
Need a home inspection in Idaho? Check out InterNACHI's listing of Idaho certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 12/10/15, 10:21 AM

Article: Compost Pile Hazards:
Compost piles, as many agree, are a good thing. They allow less material to dumped in the already overflowing landfills. They also allow us to return nutrient back to the soil. There are some pitfalls of which many are not aware and can be fatal to an unsuspecting gardener. The natural activity of a compost pile can cause fungal spores and pathogens to flow around the compost pile. Inhaling these spores can cause respiratory disease that are difficult, if not impossible to treat. Fire is another hazard of a compost heat due to microbial activity.
There are good and bad pests that are attracted to compost piles. Worms, for one, are good, but flies, termites and beetles are detrimental if the pile is not properly maintained.
Old 12/10/15, 12:30 PM

"How to Inspect Manufactured and Mobile Homes" online course-20151210_111949-jpg
Permanent elctrical sighnage:
On a manufactured or mobile home on sign is permanently attached to the exterior of the home. This sign must be 3 x 3/4 inch minimum size tag. The tag should be made of etched metal stamped, or embossed brass, stainless steel anodized aluminum at least 0.020 inches thick. The tag should read "This connection is for 120/240-volt, 3-pole, 4-wire, 60 Hertz, ____
ampere supply." The correct ampere rating should be marked in the blank.
Old 12/10/15, 12:33 PM

Article: Bathroom Ventilation Ducts and Fans
Bathrooms with windows installed are still required to have an exhaust fan to ventilate odor and moisture. The fan connects to a duct that vents to the exterior of the home. The duct should be as short and straight as possible to avoid areas that capture and hold moisture. This may allow mold to form and escape the duct if not properly sealed. Mold may not be obvious inside the bathroom but may be building up in the attic or crawlspace. Decay is another result of "invisible" moisture intrusion and the affected wood may have lost up to 50% of it's strength before detected.
Old 12/10/15, 12:43 PM

Compost Pile Hazard
Many are of the opinion that compost piles are good. They are in many ways. The keep from adding to the already overloaded land fills. They also allow nutrient to be returned to the soil. While these are very good for the environment there are some pitfalls by which unsuspecting gardeners may find while maintaining (or lack there of) the compost. There are respiratory problems due to pathogens released by the compost and inhaled by one working with the compost. There are reports of skin infections due to contact with the compost contents and there is the possibility of fire to microbial activity creating heat in the compost pile. Pests are both advantages and detrimental. Worms are great for adding nutrient to the decaying pile but flies, termites and beetles can over take a poorly maintained compost pile.
Old 12/17/15, 1:17 PM
InterNACHI Member

Sorry. I don't have easy access to any manufactured home photos. I included a photo of a large tree root in a crawlspace. Tree roots can damage manufactured home foundations as well so I figured it was relevant enough. I hope you think so. I would like to finish this class so I can get the certificate for TREC CE.
Attached Thumbnails
"How to Inspect Manufactured and Mobile Homes" online course-img_8790-jpg  
Old 12/17/15, 1:25 PM
InterNACHI Member

I read the articles on garage inspection and ways to conserve energy in your home. I agree; framing issues are very important in any garage roof inspection. I am also a big fan of energy conservation and have done many of the recommended remedies in my own home.
Old 12/18/15, 3:30 PM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI) ®

Inspection photo & reporting.

Smoke alarms can not be installed in a dead air location of the room such as this one is jammed tightly in the corner. These units were also not interconnected and were battery operation only. While I acknowledge this is better than not having alarms the installation is subpar in relation to fire safety guidelines and was called out.
Attached Thumbnails
"How to Inspect Manufactured and Mobile Homes" online course-sam_0871-jpg  

Larry Keils
TREC# 21099
http://www.lkhomeinspection.com/
Old 12/18/15, 5:18 PM

For the Reading and writing assignment I read the AFCI Indicator article and the Doing Damages During an Inspection article.

We were doing a field training session at an early 1900's home in the North Texas area. The instructor advised that the windows had been painted shut and to not attempt to open them. One of the other guy's with us decided he had opened windows painted shut before so he would just go ahead and do his window operation checks. He released the first latch and proceeded to break the sash as he popped it with his palm. Moral of the story, if it can not be operated normally DON'T force it. Make a note in your report as to WHY an item could not be operated or inspected. Custom millwork is not cheap, even when you know a guy that does restoration work.

Larry Keils
TREC# 21099
http://www.lkhomeinspection.com/
Old 12/18/15, 9:42 PM

As part of the course, read saving energy (10 ways) and realized the impact of air intrusion affecting even the best built homes.
Second reading covered elders staying in their homes. My parents have VA benefits that would allow care at a VA home, but prefere staying at their home. Mom's cooking is great.
Suggestions are great & will share over the holidays.
Old 12/19/15, 9:29 AM

Starting Course

Respectfully,

Don Schoonover, CPI
Terrapro Inspection Services, LLC
18848 Hwy 441 Ste. 176
Mount Dora, Florida 32757

www.goterrapro.com

" We INSPECT what you EXPECT"
Old 12/20/15, 11:37 AM
Certified Master Inspector ®

Knob & Tube Wiring

Although knob & tube has been declared obsolete in many jurisdictions, in Ontario it is still acceptable to the Electrical Safety Authority if in good condition!

One attribute to knob & tube is its increased ampacity due to the fact the air surrounding the conductors allows higher current flow due to the air acting as an insulator.

Many if not most insurance companies, however, frown upon and usually require replacement of K&B due to, but not limited to: deteriorated insulation and unapproved additional circuits installed by unqualified do-it-yourselfers.

Due to the exposed conductors, knob & tube has served as convenient storage of fishing poles and wood trim by husbands and handy lines for drying clothes by wives!

Possibly these inappropriate uses have contributed to the frayed insulation so prevalent in most homes!

Bryce Jeffrey
CMI - ID# 107030707

Jeffrey Home Inspection
http://www.jeffreyhomeinspection.com
Old 12/20/15, 11:52 AM
Certified Master Inspector ®

Bat Infestation:

While inspecting the attic in a rural heritage home, I noted a long dark streak of matter directly under the ridge board.

I allowed the prospective purchaser to take a look. “What is the dark stuff!” he asked.

Probably bat quano was my reply.

Bats are interesting creatures, neither rodent nor bird but a flying mammal.

While bats are primarily good for the environment eating millions of insects, they can pose a serious health risk to humans.

Personally, I do not believe in eradicating bat colonies, but I do recommend the humane removal by qualified experts in the profession.

Bryce Jeffrey
CMI - ID# 107030707

Jeffrey Home Inspection
http://www.jeffreyhomeinspection.com
Need a home inspection in Idaho? Check out InterNACHI's listing of Idaho certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 12/27/15, 12:14 PM

I didn't have access to a mobile home for photos. Most mobile home owners in this area never hire a home inspector because of the cost.

For the reading assignment, I read "Carbon Monoxide Poisoning and Detectors" and "Smoke Alarm Inspection." About 160/people per year die of carbon monoxide poisoning. Most of this occurs during the winter months, because of furnaces. Smoke alarms are just as important, especially in a mobile home. About 3,000 people/year lose their lives to fire because of no smoke alarm. Most of it's caused by smoke inhalation, not burns.
Old 12/29/15, 9:36 PM
New User

Please Note: Frank Bombardiere is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with InterNACHI or its members.

I assume this is what I am supposed to do on this course. Upload an image pertaining to the course and comment on it.

This is a picture of a manufactured homes frame. There are out riggers coming off the beams and CMUs sitting on concrete runners for the foundation. There are wooden shims used to level the home on top of the CMUs, however, there are no pier caps installed which is usually the case around here. It is hard to see but there are some tie down cables as well. The tie down anchors were embedded in concrete along each side and under the marriage wall. The skirting did require tools to gain access which is not correct but other than the lack of caps and the access, it was not bad.
Attached Thumbnails
"How to Inspect Manufactured and Mobile Homes" online course-img_0127-jpg