Go Back   InterNACHI Inspection Forum > >

Notices

Student Discussions This is a forum for discussing InterNACHI's Inspection Courses.

Old 6/25/18, 6:22 PM
InterNACHI Member

Inspection & Writing Assignment:

These mobile home stairs do not have a 36'' x 36'' landing at the top to allow safe operation of the door, recommend installing new stairs with a minimum 36'' x 36'' landing no greater than 7 3/4 '' below the door threshold.

"How to Inspect Manufactured and Mobile Homes" online course
Need a home inspection in Idaho? Check out InterNACHI's listing of Idaho certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 6/25/18, 6:23 PM
InterNACHI Member

These mobile home stairs do not have a 36'' x 36'' landing at the top to allow safe operation of the door, recommend installing new stairs with a minimum 36'' x 36'' landing no greater than 7 3/4 '' below the door threshold.

Old 6/25/18, 6:32 PM
InterNACHI Member

Research & Writing Assignment:

garages attached to mobile homes must be self-supporting and attached only weather proofing proposes, and be separated by 5/8'' drywall from all living, attic and crawl spaces for fire protection. as well as have no windows between the garage and living space.

Old 6/25/18, 6:37 PM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI) ®

All mobile homes need to have foundation walls or skirting installed around the perimeter of the units. A minimum of 8 vents is required with a vent within 3 feet of each corner and spacing of no more than twenty feet in between vents.

Old 6/25/18, 6:43 PM

A garage may be attached to a manufactured home only when both the manufactured home and the garage have permanent foundations. The garage must be self supporting but may be attached to the manufactured home by a dormer to provide a weather seal.

Old 6/26/18, 12:28 AM
InterNACHI Member

So this is a photo of a ceiling I did on a home today that had NO smoke detectors installed. Country home in a county with minimal code requirements and tons of DIY work done. The home was a 2 level dwelling and the client was advised having no SDs was a safety hazard. Smoke detectors are a HUD requirement for manuf homes, so this is critical for all types of homes.

Old 6/26/18, 12:38 AM
InterNACHI Member

Read the Manuf Homes article. This article appears to be speaking to someone purchasing a new unit. I'm thinking most new purchases will come with a large contact list for installing the home on site. All of my inspections have been on existing manuf homes. This training was good by focusing on the foundation types, anchoring standards, etc. that I've been looking for. Also interesting to see all the various date plates that go on a Manuf home, because when purchased, it can be placed in any of the various climate and wind zones, so that info has to "go with the home" as a data plate instead of builders constructing to local code. This training has helped my knowledge of these types of homs.

Old 6/26/18, 8:40 AM

In this picture i have found several deficiencies . The pressure tank had fallen over and i recommended that it be leveled. There was a loose electrical wire that should be secured to the framing and rust was observed on the frame of the manufacured home

Old 6/26/18, 8:41 AM

Pier-support footings should be a minimum of 256 square inches, and not less than the width of the pier being supported. In order to transfer loads properly, piers require footings and must not rest directly onto the soil. Ridge-beam column-support footings should be sized properly

Old 6/27/18, 2:07 AM
InterNACHI Member

I found a picture of improper support for a mobile home. In this picture, you can see that the ground has shifted and/or the support system was placed in an improper area. The support is also made from wood, which is in contact with the soil. This has a chance of flexing, rotting, or deteriorating, making the support improper. Concrete blocks or metal jacks would be more appropriate in this situation and should be placed in a more flat, stable area with appropriate footers.

Old 6/27/18, 2:16 AM
InterNACHI Member

I read an article on adjustable steel columns. I learned that adjustable steel columns should be at least 3 inches in diameter. I also learned that in certain areas, rust-inhibitive paint is not always necessary. If the area is in a dry climate where moisture is unlikely to be present around the columns, paint is not needed.

Old 6/27/18, 2:03 PM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI)

This photo is piers on slab foundation that I took yesterday at mobile home inspection. Also, there were tie down straps that were anchored into the slab. I don't inspect many mobile homes but this appeared to be a correct layout.

Old 6/27/18, 2:10 PM

Mobile homes appear to be another choice to have a less expensive alternative option than standard construction. There less restrictions on building process that will allow builder with a smaller budget to accomplish their goals. Also better option for larger properties that are further away from city areas.

Need a home inspection in Idaho? Check out InterNACHI's listing of Idaho certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 6/27/18, 5:02 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to dasselin

It is important that the skirting material be weather resistant and the crawlspace be well vented. At least 8 vents should be installed, 3' away from each corners and not be spaced anymore than 20' apart. It should be installed to prevent pest entry.

Old 6/27/18, 5:09 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to dasselin

I read the article: Modular vs Manufactured Homes. I learned that manufactured homes are never more than 1 story and are almost never custom designed. They keep their chassis and got their name in the 80s. They were previously referred as mobile home or trailers.