Go Back   InterNACHI Inspection Forum > >

Notices

Student Discussions This is a forum for discussing InterNACHI's Inspection Courses.

Old 7/18/18, 4:31 PM
InterNACHI Member

Inspection & Writing Assignment:

In this photo there is a inlet of the Cable cord for tv service. The penetrations for this item is not efficient in many ways. First of at the point of entry through the veneer masonry siding is not sealed properly. The actual service hole is sealed but their is another hole right next to it that is not properly sealed. A secondary issue is their are multiple wires exposed to moisture on the lines.

How to Inspect for Moisture Intrusion Course
Need a home inspection in Minnesota? Check out InterNACHI's listing of Minnesota certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 7/18/18, 4:38 PM
InterNACHI Member

Research & Writing Assignment:

The image that I choose to write this report on is regarding shaker wood shingles. These shingles have a very unique installation method that singles them out from most other roofing materials. They require a space from 1/4-3/8 inch between the shingle. This sounds like it would provide room for water entry into the home however, it utilizes the natural properties of wood where when it gets wet it expands. So, during a rain cycle the shingles would enlarge and seal the gap through natural means. The source photo is from "https://www.nachi.org/gallery/?level=picture&id=2811".

Old 7/18/18, 7:26 PM
InterNACHI Member

I took an image of the foundation of a brick home built in 1964. I noticed small crack line just above the foundation which is right outside the bathroom wall. I interviewed the current and only owner of this home and was told the bathroom plumbing was fixed last year and that was the damage that occured.

Old 7/18/18, 7:32 PM
InterNACHI Member

I read the article on moisture intrusion. Living in florida, I learned about the different climates and what moisture does in cold weather climates. I learned that mold spores can cause many different health issues for homeowners. I also learned valuable information on how moisture can penetrate a home.

Old 7/18/18, 8:31 PM
InterNACHI Member

In this photo the siding can be seen in clear contact with the ground. There should be six to eight inches between the siding and any ground contact. I would recommend the client have a licensed contractor inspect and remedy the issue.

Old 7/18/18, 8:31 PM
InterNACHI Member

In this photo the siding can be seen in clear contact with the ground. There should be six to eight inches between the siding and any ground contact. I would recommend the client have a licensed contractor inspect and remedy the issue.

Old 7/18/18, 9:19 PM
InterNACHI Member

This photo is of a interior wall under a window and window sill. The photo shows areas of peeling paint dry wall and mold on the sill. The peeling paint and dry shows this area has been wet in the past. I would call this out in the inspection report.

Old 7/18/18, 9:32 PM
InterNACHI Member

In my research I found that for my area in Florida we have high humidity and heat the exterior walls dry toward the inside. This means there should be vapor retarding materials should be installed on the outside faces. This will allow the insides faces to breath and allow the walls to dry.

Old 7/18/18, 11:14 PM
InterNACHI Member

The north basement wall shows signs of water intrusion. Efflorescence and spalling are visible from the bottom of the breaker panel to the basement floor. Theres visible spalling and concrete fragments near the bottom of the wall. Further evaluation by a professional contractor is recommended.

Old 7/18/18, 11:33 PM
InterNACHI Member

Kick out flashing is a relatively new water diversion tool used to direct water away from the wall and into the rain gutter. Kick out flashing is used when a gutter is terminated against a wall cladding or chimney. Many times homeowners will trim or alter the flashing to make it more inconspicuous. Inspectors should note and advise if kick out flashing is missing or modified in any way.

Old 7/19/18, 11:10 AM
InterNACHI Member

Florida: Flat Interior Wall Paint and not Semi-Gloss of Gloss?

In hot-humid climates, exterior wall systems should dry toward the interior by locating vapor-retarding materials on the outside of the wall assembly, and keeping interior materials vapor-permeable. Providing some resistance to outdoor moisture vapor from diffusing into the wall assembly limits moisture problems during hot and humid periods of the year. And by keeping the interior side of the assembly vapor-permeable, any moisture within the wall system can migrate to the cool and dry building interior.

If a vapor-retarding material, such as polyethylene or vinyl wallpaper, is installed toward the inside of the wall assembly, it could block vapor migration on its cool surface and cause condensation problems. Instead, materials installed toward the interior of the wall assembly should be semi-permeable or permeable, such as unfaced fiberglass batts with permeable interior paint on the gypsum. And while any practices related to vapor retarders and other wall-assembly materials are subject to local code requirements, the damp/humid areas give an indication of where drying to the interior is most important.

In hot-humid regions, walls must be able to dry to the inside. Homeowners in hot-humid regions must be educated to not limit the ability of the walls to dry toward the interior by adding non-breathable interior finishes on exterior walls. Finishes that could compromise the walls ability to dry inward include vinyl wallpaper and vapor-barrier paints.

Old 7/19/18, 11:18 AM
InterNACHI Member

The attached image is of a piece of loose headwall flashing on the home I rent. The issue with loose headwall flashing, or the lack of flashing altogether, is the possibility for moisture intrusion. Currently there does not seem to be any significant issue with moisture intrusion in this particular area of the home due to an overhang directly above this flashing. The potential of moisture intrusion is there especially with wind blown rain.

Old 7/19/18, 11:18 AM
InterNACHI Member

When I moved to Florida I was puzzled as to why all the homes had Flat wall paint and not Semi-Gloss or Gloss on the Interior walls. I had recently moved to Florida from Washington State up by the Canadian Border. No one could answer my question about why everyone used Flat Wall Paint. Below is why Florida Homes have Flat wall Paint and not Semi-Gloss or Gloss, especially on the Interior walls facing the Exterior of the home.

Why Floridians should not use Gloss or Non Permeable sealants on Interior walls.

In hot-humid climates, exterior wall systems should dry toward the interior by locating vapor-retarding materials on the outside of the wall assembly, and keeping interior materials vapor-permeable. Providing some resistance to outdoor moisture vapor from diffusing into the wall assembly limits moisture problems during hot and humid periods of the year. And by keeping the interior side of the assembly vapor-permeable, any moisture within the wall system can migrate to the cool and dry building interior.

If a vapor-retarding material, such as polyethylene or vinyl wallpaper, is installed toward the inside of the wall assembly, it could block vapor migration on its cool surface and cause condensation problems. Instead, materials installed toward the interior of the wall assembly should be semi-permeable or permeable, such as unfaced fiberglass batts with permeable interior paint on the gypsum. And while any practices related to vapor retarders and other wall-assembly materials are subject to local code requirements, the damp/humid areas give an indication of where drying to the interior is most important.

In hot-humid regions, walls must be able to dry to the inside. Homeowners in hot-humid regions must be educated to not limit the ability of the walls to dry toward the interior by adding non-breathable interior finishes on exterior walls. Finishes that could compromise the walls ability to dry inward include vinyl wallpaper and vapor-barrier paints.