Go Back   InterNACHI Inspection Forum > >

Notices

Student Discussions This is a forum for discussing InterNACHI's Inspection Courses.

Old 1/21/19, 12:46 AM
InterNACHI Applicant

Research & Writing Assignment:

A common area of failure beneath sinks is at the p-trap. Frequently I will find water dripping down the exterior walls of the pvc pipe forming the P-Trap as a result of compromised sealant at the drain fitting beneath the sink.

Need a home inspection in Minnesota? Check out InterNACHI's listing of Minnesota certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 1/21/19, 1:38 AM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI) ®

Inspection & Writing Assignment:

This photo was taken along with several others to show all of the contributing factors to the moisture problems in this homes basement. It began here with a back yard that sloped toward the back of the home. The soil close to the home was saturated, soggy, and puddled. In addition to all of the surface ground water run off coming towards the homes foundation, the left rear downspout terminated into a pipe that was above ground, broken, allowing water to leak out near the left rear corner of the home. The right rear downspout terminated to a flex pipe that was not connected, allowing water to miss the pipe and flow directly into the right rear corner of the foundation. The basement, not surprisingly, had evidence of water, moisture, and efflorescence. I was surprised the walls were not bowing, but they were not. My recommendation to the buyer was to correct the downspouts, and consider installing a perimeter type drain to divert the runoff water and roof water away from the structure. I also noted to the seller two sections of the front roof over the porch that were missing gutters. The home had just had a new roof installed (sheathing over plaster board.... a different topic), but the roofer neglected to install gutters and downspouts for the porch roof which added to the moisture problem. The one downspout in the front, deposited its roof water over the retaining wall, into the driveway, which sloped towards the attached garage. I recommended the downspout be relocated to divert the water in the yard, down slope from the home, and not allowing water to pour into his driveway, which ended up in his garage. This essay was to fulfill a writing assignment for the class on moisture inspection.

How to Inspect for Moisture Intrusion Course
Old 1/21/19, 2:08 AM

This essay is to fulfill my second writing assignment for inspecting for moisture. Pending no place to submit a photo, I chose the photo in the gallery displaying the difference between a downspout that is too short, and a downspout of appropriate length. Too often in my home inspections, I see short elbows at the end of a downspout, allowing water to be dispensed just inches from the homes foundation. I understand the home owners need to not have a trip hazard, or having to trim around the downspout without running it over with the lawn tractor. So I explain to the home buyer, the necessity and importance of diverting roof rain water far enough away from the foundation to help prevent moisture issues in the home, among other issues water can cause. A short downspout 1-3 feet in most cases will not allow the water to properly drain away from the home. I recommend 4-6 feet of downspout to properly divert roof rain water from the home when a perimeter type drain is not an available option. Some homes do not have the proper slope and may need further evaluated to create the right combination...ie, a downspout may need to terminate into a sub terrain drain pipe to be taken under a sidewalk, then diverted with the slope of the yard to an exit point away from the structure. The 4-6 foot downspout couldnt work if it had to run over a walkway.

Old 1/21/19, 12:09 PM
InterNACHI Applicant

Water intrusion, possibly one of the most damaging aspects of a home, is water. For the most part these days, home builders have multiple design and protection materials to address the issue of water penetration. Thou time and installation both attribute to the possibilities of moisture entering the home. While doing a standard inspection it is important to investigate any/all signs of water intrusion, i.e., stains on lumber/walls/floors/drywall, discoloration of carpets, floors. A moisture meter is and essential tool to complete a proper moisture assessment of the property.

Old 1/21/19, 12:23 PM
InterNACHI Applicant

Preforming a complete inspection of a home is a significant task that encompasses a wide range of issues. To do this properly I believe it is essential that there is a set itinerary of locations and potential defects to address, a business plan if you will. Think the best way to do so is to have an agenda for each area of the home, kitchen, baths, utility room, basement, crawlspace, attic and exterior.

Old 1/21/19, 3:54 PM
InterNACHI Member

During an inspection of a home I found a crack in the ceiling gypsum board and some paint that was used to hide staining. Upon further inspection in attic I noticed daylight where recent solar panels were installed. I recommended a roofing contractor to evaluate and repair.

Old 1/21/19, 4:08 PM
InterNACHI Member

Kick out flashing is necessary anywhere a roof and exterior wall intersect. If there is no kick out flashing or has been modified this can allow water to miss the gutter and penetrate the walls or siding and become trapped inside the walls.

Old 1/21/19, 6:42 PM

These shingles have been installed with the seams aligned from course to course over four courses. The seams have been caulked along the aligned seams. This is an incorrect installation and no longer allow the roofing shingles to provide the slope of the roof to be water resistant.

Old 1/21/19, 8:35 PM

In the article about IR cameras: Inspecting for moisture intrusion, I learned that IR cameras can save time in finding possible areas of water damage. Even though they aren't a singular tool in finding and assessing water damage, they are a good first tool to find latent water issues.

Old 1/21/19, 10:13 PM
InterNACHI Member

The article that I chose was on moisture meters. Moisture meters are devices designed to measure moisture content in various building materials. Moisture meters are very useful tools. They can determine if a material is moist enough to allow mold to grow. As well as determine if a home has leaks.The modes of operation for moisture meters are the pin type, and search mode. The pin type is pronged and used to measure moisture content at an incremental depth. Search mode is probeless and detects and measures moisture content beneath the surface.

Old 1/22/19, 1:57 AM
InterNACHI Member

The following picture shows a major moisture intrusion in the kitchen. The damage was caused by a leak in the unit upstairs. The supply lines to the kitchen faucet in the condo above had been chewed on by rats. A simple solution of replacement and general preventive check of plumbing could have made this a much cheaper repair. That is out of my scope , so I would not consult with client.

Old 1/22/19, 3:01 AM
InterNACHI Member

The following is an example of moisture intrusion of an exterior wall. The interior should have the drywall and a plastic moisture barrier. Between should be thermal insulation, if the insulation is compromised by moisture several variables could be taken into account. The exterior wall sheathing or the exterior wall covering.

Old 1/22/19, 12:46 PM
InterNACHI Member

Here is a picture of the attic. This area has minor water intrusion. First I felt the moisture with my hand. Then I followed up with the moisture meter as well as the infrared camera. I recommend a roofer take a look. If more than 10 percent of the roof has moisture, I recommend replacing the asphalt shingles.

Need a home inspection in Minnesota? Check out InterNACHI's listing of Minnesota certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 1/22/19, 12:52 PM
InterNACHI Member

Water intrusion is one of the most important things an inspector must look out for. It is imperative all possible entries must be detected and called out on the report. Detection Water intrusion can save the potential home owner a significant amount of money.

Old 1/22/19, 1:49 PM
New User

Please Note: jbeaudet is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with InterNACHI or its members.

Efflorescence is a white chalky powder or residue that is found on concrete or brick surfaces. This is usually a visible indication that some sort of moisture intrusion has occurred. Although efflorescence can just be a cosmetic issue, inspectors should understand potential problems as they can lead to major structural or air quality issues.