Go Back   InterNACHI Inspection Forum > >

Notices

Student Discussions This is a forum for discussing InterNACHI's Inspection Courses.

Old 6/1/18, 11:00 AM
InterNACHI Member

Inspection & Writing Assignment:

This is a picture of a pump that has a small leak that could possibly turn into something more I would write that up as an upgrade to enhance performance of system and possible electrical hazard if it is close enough to loose wires or the main box for the pool

"How to Inspect Pools and Spas" Course
Need a home inspection in Michigan? Check out InterNACHI's listing of Michigan certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 6/1/18, 11:04 AM
InterNACHI Member

Research & Writing Assignment:

The picture I chose was of under the foundation and the importance of expansion joints and why they should be monitored so that minimal water gets up underneath the backside of the pool walls it cause a lot of water to get sucked in through the walls and loose lots of water especially in the summer time and most of the time it is filled with nasty water

Old 6/1/18, 11:21 AM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI) ®

pool and drain hazards. Water rushing out a drain causes suction {350 lbs of pressure for most drains}. Check to see there is a drain cover and that the cover is not broken or cracked. Check for a vacuum release system to release suction pressure. Some pools do not have a drain they use a gutter and over flow system tho most pools are equipped with a drain.

Old 6/1/18, 5:48 PM
InterNACHI Member

I have never written an essay but here goes.
I chose pool alarms because I just did the pool inspection class. I have owned several pools but never had an alarm before. This seems dumb due to the low cost and high safety pay out. I have grandchildren using my pool and will be investing in an alarm son.

Old 6/1/18, 6:09 PM
InterNACHI Member

I honestly cannot tell what picture I just attached. I cannot preview it in this format but I think it was an obstructed breaker panel by vegetation. This is common especially with HOA requirements in our area to hide unsightly things from view.

Old 6/1/18, 10:36 PM

There are several key components that make up the pools operational equipment; the pump, filter, and multi port valve are a few. Additional ancillary components include the heater, air pump for the spa jets, and the chlorinator. All of these items are part of the pool inspection.

Old 6/1/18, 10:44 PM

The pool and spa plumbing system connects the major components, skimmer, main drain, and return ports for the pool and the spa. The most common ppe material is PVC and size is 1 1/2" to 2" in diameter. In hot sunny areas it is best practice to paint the PVC piping to prevent the pipes to dry out and deteriorate.

Old 6/1/18, 10:51 PM
InterNACHI Member

This is the hardest part of the course and we as inspectors dont inspect pools. Does it really make sense to test on something thats not part of our responsibility. The national exam should be tested for each state instead of a standard test

Old 6/1/18, 10:54 PM
InterNACHI Member

I would like to make a suggestion, Bluegrass Inspection Institute shouldnt be in business. He didnt prepare anyone to pass the national exam. He was interested in getting paid for his class and did a real bad job preparing the students for the exam

Old 6/4/18, 10:14 AM
Thomas M. Ailstock, CPI, HI9155's Avatar
Thomas M. Ailstock, CPI, HI9155 Thomas M. Ailstock, CPI, HI9155 is offline
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI)

We inspected the pool and noted that a GFCI was present. The GFCI was within 20 feet of the pool but not closer than 6 ft from the pool area. The GFCI was not working, it would not reset. A pool light was present but not functioning. The GFCI should be repaired and the pool light re-evaluated and repaired as needed for safety.

Old 6/4/18, 10:20 AM
Thomas M. Ailstock, CPI, HI9155's Avatar
Thomas M. Ailstock, CPI, HI9155 Thomas M. Ailstock, CPI, HI9155 is offline
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI)

Swimming pool tile and concrete work - image.

When inspecting a concrete pool with plaster walls it is important to evaluate the pool and deck as separate components. There should be an expansion joint present to account for natural expansion and contraction. If the deck is raised or settled this could be an indication of problems present with the pool or earth surrounding the pool and should be further evaluated. Raised areas of the pool deck present a trip hazard.

Old 6/4/18, 12:41 PM

Swimming pools and spas are "optional" in the TREC Standards of Practice, and I have always opted out of inspecting them. I will report leaking water from any of the equipment in the pump area. The attached photo shows a fallen panel at the heater, which is another example of an obvious issue.

Old 6/4/18, 12:48 PM

This essay is about pool lighting types. Proper electrical installation for swimming pool lighting is obviously essential. My assumption prior to leaning about pool lighting was that that lighting would fit the dry-niche luminaire description. I learned about Underwater Luminaires and Wet-Niche Luminaires. Although I understand their design and safety features, it still sounds like the safest lighting type is a dry-niche luminaire.

Need a home inspection in Michigan? Check out InterNACHI's listing of Michigan certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 6/4/18, 3:37 PM
InterNACHI Member

There are may ways in which a client can save money and energy in their home. When I go the attic to inspect the systems in it I always check the pull-down stairs for insulation and weather stripping. Most of the time I find that one of the two are missing and the door itself doesn't full close. This allows the heat from the attic to be released into the home having the ac unit work harder to cool the home.

Old 6/5/18, 12:31 PM
Community Guest

The gate leading to the pool area opens towards the pool. All gates leading to pool areas should open away or outward from the pool or spa. Gates leading to pool or spas need to be equipped with a self closing and self latching devise for safety.