Go Back   InterNACHI Inspection Forum > >

Notices

Student Discussions This is a forum for discussing InterNACHI's Inspection Courses.

Old 3/17/19, 9:31 AM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI) ®

Research & Writing Assignment:

This essay pertains to dangers in septic system inspections. Solid waste should never be removed by anyone except a professional septic tank pumping service. No one besides a licensed equipped professional should enter a tank. These septic systems are designed to dangerous waste and can pose a serious health hazard to homeowners and inspectors.

Need a home inspection in Maryland? Check out InterNACHI's listing of Maryland certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 3/17/19, 9:46 AM
InterNACHI Member

I learned that Internachi offers I formation about the training they offer for there inspectors. You can copy the information and put it on your business letter head. Some realtors may ask for this information before hiring you to do inspections for them

Old 3/17/19, 9:55 AM

Inspection & Writing Assignment:

This new septic system displays how effluent is carried from the septic tank to the drainage bed. Proper care is important to a healthy system, from what goes into the tank to what is place on the drainage bed. Care must be taken not to damage the drain lines.

How to Inspect Septic Systems
Old 3/17/19, 10:04 AM

Septic systems need to be maintained on a regular basis, usually once a year and pumped on average every three years. Its important that only regular waste enter the system and to avoid grease and oily products as well as feminine hygiene products as these will quickly clog a system.

Old 3/17/19, 11:16 AM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI)

This photo is looking into a septic tank at the inlet pipe and baffle. Notice the staining on the baffle tee all the way to the top. Staining at the top of the baffle tee is an indication of an unsatisfactory condition inside the tank and that contents in the tank have been backing up, raising the levels of effluent inside the tank. This tank should be pumped and further evaluated for issues.

Old 3/17/19, 11:26 AM

In our part of the country (northeast) we often see old wooden trench absorption fields. In this obsolete design two wooden boards are installed in a v-shape in the ground that the effluent runs along and leaches into the ground. While most of the wooden trench systems we see are heavily deteriorated, it is not unusual to see some in decent shape and still working!

Old 3/18/19, 5:10 PM

My company did an inspection on an older home built in the early 1950s. I noticed upon entering the dwelling that there was a strong odor of sewer gas. I determined that the odor was coming from the sump pump pit. Upon inspection of the septic tank I observed it had a crack on the side by the sewer inlet. The ground was washed away in this area for easy examination. The waste water from the septic tank was flowing back to the house into the perimeter drainage system which caused the odor in the sump pump pit. I also performed a water test due to a sewage smell coming from the potable water. The water test came back positive for E. Coli bacteria. I determined that the sewer waste was flowing around to the front of the house through the perimeter drainage tile which contaminated the well. The health department condemned the house due to the health conditions of this dwelling. I noticed during inspections when there is a new riser on an old septic tank there is normally a problem due to the tank being pumped on a yearly bases.

Old 3/18/19, 5:28 PM

A Garage Inspection
I do not prefer a truss roofing system due to the fact that most carpenters do not install them correctly. My 18 years of construction experience and 6 years in the inspection business has taught me that alterations in a truss system are done regularly. Such as adding whole house fans, attic ladders, etc. This article showed me that incorrect repairs and alterations on roof truss systems happen often and that this is the most important thing to look for when inspecting a house or garage with a truss system.

Old 3/19/19, 1:51 AM

The picture above is of a D-Box for a septic system. This is the box where the effluent comes into from the septic tank and the is distributed thru out the drain field area. The D-Box is where you can gain access to the drain field lines with a camera to inspect them to make sure of no blockages or collapsed lines. Sometimes the D-Box needs replaced due to deterioration.

Old 3/19/19, 1:56 AM

The image in the gallery is of a Septic drain field absorption area. I learned from the image the certain depths for the lines and soil levels. The other part of the image shows what type of fill and how much needs to be put on. All the components are also shown in the image.

Old 3/19/19, 5:50 PM
InterNACHI Member

This photo of a outlet baffle with a screen that is clogged which does not allow effluent to flow to the leach field. I would recommend pumping the septic tank every 3 to 5 years and cleaning the screen once a year to allow the effluent to reach the leach field.

Old 3/19/19, 6:00 PM
InterNACHI Member

The 'Conventional Septic System Absorption Drainfield' Image from the Inspection Gallery showed a pipe going into the inlet of a septic tank and outlet to a PVC manifold instead of a concrete distribution box and then into perforated PVC pipe laid on gravel and crushed stone.

Old 3/21/19, 2:06 PM
InterNACHI Member

In the above photo I was asked to look at the above aerobic system as favor. As you can see there is a significant ditch all the way around the system. There was actually nothing wrong with the system or its installation other that they failed to properly backfill the area. For the homebuyer it was a definite cause for concern. The installer was caused back out to remove the sod and properly level the property.

Need a home inspection in Maryland? Check out InterNACHI's listing of Maryland certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 3/21/19, 2:18 PM
InterNACHI Member

In the article Septic System Inspection I found the maintenance paragraph to be key in advising customers. There are some very basic things such as what a system will handle as far paper products and what things an owner can do to help the system function to its most effective.