Go Back   InterNACHI Inspection Forum > >

Notices

Student Discussions This is a forum for discussing InterNACHI's Inspection Courses.

Old 2/14/19, 10:04 PM
InterNACHI Member

Research & Writing Assignment:

A septic tank removes the waste water from a home. It then moves it into a holding tank, with or without an aerator. The solid sink to the bottom while the grey water floats to the top and is leached into the soil.

Need a home inspection in Maryland? Check out InterNACHI's listing of Maryland certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 2/15/19, 12:56 PM
Student Inspector

Inspection & Writing Assignment:

The effluent is distributed to a number of lines in the absorption field,(Per the owner) in the front yard of this home, which was clearly in a flood zone, and water was backed up into the clean out up next to the home. They had a heavy rain two days before, and there is a creek 50 yards to the right side of the home, and it had flooded their yard.

How to Inspect Septic Systems
Old 2/17/19, 3:14 PM
InterNACHI Member

I actually own a home that has a septic system and have always been under the assumption that if a system is working it is fine. I also have a considerable amount of knowledge in the construction field and from this course I have learned that one of the most important items to having a working septic system is a good maintenance schedule for my septic. I am going to correct that issue and try to pass that on to my clients.

Old 2/17/19, 3:23 PM
InterNACHI Student

The uploaded photo of a flooded leach field / absorption area indicates a malfunctioning septic system. This issue could indicate faulty backfill but is more likely caused by a leaking water fixture in the home such as a continuously running toilet or leaking faucet. Or in some cases, small kids that forget to or can't turn a faucet off completely which saturates the absorption area leading to possible backup.

Old 2/17/19, 3:30 PM
InterNACHI Student

The article titled "Septic Systems" gives a practical look at what home owners can and should do to adequately maintain their septic system or what to be aware of when purchasing a home with a septic system installed. This article covers information such as how a septic system works, how often to have the system inspected and pumped, and why it is important. As a general home inspector, I am always looking for practical information that makes sense to clients and is "doable". This article gives both.

Old 2/17/19, 3:34 PM
InterNACHI Member

This is a pic of a tank-tee that is on the entry side of a septic tank. The original baffle had broken off and had to be replaced. The entry baffle is very important to the management of a systems wast water in that the tee must extend below the scum line. This helps to keep the system from being agitated and letting the solids continue to the bottom helping to separate the clear effluent out so it can further continue to the drain field by exiting the tank via another baffle or tank tee.

Old 2/18/19, 7:25 PM
InterNACHI Member

I am writing on the picture in septic tank section. The picture is explaining how to properly measure the different levels of the septic tank. The picture shows the would device used to measure the fluids inserted in the tank as directed.

Old 2/18/19, 7:26 PM
InterNACHI Member

This picture is a trap that was not flowing correctly because of Septic tank blockage. The blockage is from properly having the septic cleaned in Routine maintenance Manner. This could have been prevented with the proper maintenance on the septic tank being cleaned.

Old 2/19/19, 7:56 PM
Student Inspector

This image is of an EIFS finishing system around a door jamb where an existing metal security door was removed.This was not visible until the door was removed and clearly shows past evidence of wdo, most likely termites. No signs of active insects noted at present.

Old 2/19/19, 8:01 PM
Student Inspector

In the image of a septic tank we can see the three main layers which fill the tank. The sludge/solids drop to the bottom, the scum layer at the top and a clear effluent layer in the center.There are inlet and outled pipes with baffles.

Old 2/20/19, 7:31 AM
Student Inspector

The leaching field is a vital portion of the overall septic system, ensuring proper installation and follow on maintenance allows this subsystem to operate at peak performance. This system allows effluent to flow and be absorbed by the surrounding ground. Indications of defects are septic backing up in to the home.

Old 2/20/19, 11:12 AM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI)

The picture above was taken of an exposed riser lid. With this particular system the riser indicated the tank location to be within 50 feet of the well riser. In my county, this condition is not allowed and the location of the tank or well may need to be adjusted once the county conducts a full inspection.

Old 2/20/19, 11:20 AM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI)

I read the article on Vermiculite insulation. It appears that this type of insulation was in fairly common use throughout the U.S. from the 1920's until 1990. This type of insulation is not common in my jurisdiction, though now, I will be able to identify and warn buyers of the potential hazards with this product and give good direction to help maintain a safer environment.

Need a home inspection in Maryland? Check out InterNACHI's listing of Maryland certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 2/21/19, 1:36 PM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI) ®

Photo of drainage from furnace, washer dehumidifier and water softener. In the second video the septic pro talked about gases that can eat away at concrete septic tanks. There are substances such as garbage (from disposal), paint from cleaning brushes etc., and grease that can lead to problems with the system separating waste potentially leading to backup of the sewage to the home. The blue tubing is from the water softener that sends drainage to the septic via the home drain. The salt content leads to the eating away of the cement.

Old 2/21/19, 1:53 PM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI) ®

Septic System Inspections: Regular inspections may improve the life and functionality of the system. Article suggests annually. Locating the septic can take some effort though there are several ways suggested. Property plans from local authorities may be able to shed some light. There may be some tell-tale signs such as greener grass in around the tank site. Size of the tank are dependent on the number of bedrooms in the home. Ask the homeowners what they know about the septic, location, age, last pumped, etc. Inspect should check all plumbing appliances for proper functioning.