How to Inspect Water Heater Tanks Course

This online student thread is dedicated exclusively to students who are currently enrolled inInterNACHI’s free, online “How to Inspect Water Heater Tanks” video course.

Students may pose questions, share thoughts, discuss topics, and post images related to this course. The thread is monitored by the course instructor.

Need assistance? Ben Gromicko ben@internachi.org

1 Like

One of my favorite courses. A lot of good information.:smiley:

1 Like

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh180/silvervagon/20150212_091409_zpsbxiejxt1.jpg
This is a Quick and Hot under sink water heater made by the Anaheim Manufacturing Company. It is electric, heats water up to 190 degrees, uses an in-line water filter, and dispenses via a tap on top of the sink.
This one was a fairly new install, and worked properly.

in taking this course, posting required picture.
This electric heater is installed in a multi-story condo building, heater is installed on concrete blocks, no drain to outside, TPR venting to floor, and though not part of the water heater inspection, the MPOE service line, which has a water meter installed does not have any shut off. No way to turn water off without shutting down entire building!

Hello fellow future home inspectors and home inspectors. As a student I am required to post a picture as part of course. Below is my picture and a short visual description.

I found the hot water to be fully functional. No signs of leakage. Exspantion tack was in place on cold water side,water pressure valve prior to tank and water shut off valve Prior to water pressure valve . Tpr was in place and diverted to floor in garage. Electric wireing installed properly with no signs of issues. Water heater was elevated on stand 18 inches above floor.

Thanks guy’s, Pat Richey

1 Like

You guys need to use a “real” camera for inspecting, and not your cell phones.
Yes, it is obvious!
Good luck.

This TPR valve was in place for this electric water heater. The discharge pipe was connected properly and extended within 6 inches of the floor. The hot water heater was installed before codes required expansion tanks.

Coming from a West Michigan market I can say that in Tennessee (at least in the Nashville market) they have more expansion tanks. This can only be attributed to the fact that most of the homes I have been (training) inspecting in TN are newer. In Michigan I inspected older homes and the previous codes most likely did not include them.

I would recommend at time of replacement that clients should have one installed if not sooner.

Moisture intrusion

Water heater: Water heater did not have any signs of moisture intrusion. Water shut off valve, exspantion tank, water pressure reducing valve and all connections to water heater showed no signs of leakage. Electrical looked to be installed properly with no signs of arching or safety concerns.

Enterior back door: hardwood flooring showed signs of water intrusion du to visual signs of cracks.

Ceilings: Den ceiling showed water stains present on right side of fireplace.
Dinning and kitchen ceilings both showed signs of touch up painting showing possible water intrusion at some time or another.
I can only get one picture to post.Sorry!

I am responding to the share your thoughts.

I chose the the water heater charts. I did have problems before I read this and this was just what I needed. This chart spells it out for you and a light bulb went off and now I get it. Thanks InterNACHI.

Fabulous video. I have been inspection for over 40 years and this is, without a doubt, the most informative information I have ever had on water heater inspections. I have never seen one cut open with the insides exposed.

This water heater has seen better days. Along with having a plastic drain valve, the rust indicates that this water heater is not long for this world.

The course is very educational.

This has been one of my favorite courses. It was very educational. I look forward to many more of them

Hey, Ya’ll here’s my picture of the HWR.

IMG_2478 (1).JPG

Sorry it came over sideways! I would never leave it like that in a report…

On to water heaters. So far so god

Water heater was located in an enclosed storage closet with an access door off the hallway. Electric source. No manufactures date could be found, so unable to determine date. Shutoff valve shows signs of corrosion, inspector recommends further evaluation by a qualified technician. Water was hot at all fixtures inspected.

good day, continuing education of water tank inspections. the attached picture shows a electric water heater. it is a 40 gal us craftmaster unit. the date of manufacture is 06/2003 and included a 6 yr. warranty (expired). the water heater on the day of the inspection showed no signs of leakage and all connections were wrapped with teflon tape. a TPR valve was properly installed and sufficient air gap. no visible signs of leakage or failure around fittings.

as part of the training class for water heater inspection i read the water heater date coding article…this is a great source to determine the manufacture date of water heater…