"Inspecting Metal Roofs" online video course

This thread is dedicated exclusively for those students currently enrolled in the InterNACHI course titled, "Inspecting Metal Roofs."](http://www.nachi.org/inspecting-metal-roofs-online-video-course.htm)
Upon successful completion of this course, the student shall learn how to inspect metal roofs, recognize and identify defects and damage, determine the sources of those problems, and to make good recommendations.

Students are free to pose questions and comments here and join in the conversation with other students. The thread will be monitored by the course instructor.

In keeping with InterNACHI’s commitment to Continuing Education, this course is open and free to all members, and can be taken again and again, without limit.

Contact: Ben Gromicko, Director of Education, at ben@internachi.org.

Free Inspector Education and Training: www.nachi.org/education.
Home Inspection Training Videos: www.nachi.tv

3 Likes

hofefully a good course

I am interested in this course since I live in Key West, and have almost all metal roofs

Anyone know of failure rates for trapezoidal metal roofs that have had the seams opened to repair a few panels?

Just coming back to the course after starting yesterday. Initially I was impressed with the background data on metals that they started with. Immediately I felt more knowledgable about corrosion. Excited about the rest of the course.

just trying to take the course

Another valuable course narrated by Ken. Disappointed, however, that there were no hammer spinning tricks like in the asphalt roofing course :frowning: Very interesting information like always. I also checked out this link http://www.classicmetalroofs.com/docs/Insiders_Guide.pdf It contains pretty much the same information, but sometimes reading something two different ways is beneficial.

Starting course now:)

Glad to find a class on metal roofs.

Good course. I have installed a lot of metal roofing but learned a few things about the terminology for the defects. Thank you!

taking inspecting metal roofs today

Hi it’s David from Harris home inspections just starting the course

On the metal roofs. Q-- How does one identify fasteners that will allow for expansion and contraction caused by heat and cold . I know that some steel metal roof will “talk” when the sun shines and later fades. The installation was viewed during construction, and a fabric barrier was installed over asphalt shingles, and 2.5 in. x 3/4 strapping was placed parallel to roof edge, about 36 in. on center. :neutral:

Hi everyone:
The metal roof inspection course was very informative. I really was interested in learning how many different types of standing seam assemblies were involved in the process. I’ll see metal roof quite differently now that I’m more familiar with how they are made and installed.
thanks,
Nat

By taking this course and gaining additional knowledge, it can only help my business.

A comprehensive and well-structured course. I also would recommend asking a custom essay writing service for professional assistance in crafting good papers for any course there is.

From Library:

Structural and Architectural Metal Roofing

Most metal roofing products are designed to be installed over a supporting roof deck that bears the structural load, transferring the load down through the walls to the building foundation, and then to the soil. These products are called architectural metal roofing.

Structural metal roofing products are usually thicker than architectural products and are installed without a supporting roof deck. They typically rest on purlins that are spaced according to the manufacturer’s requirements.

The term purlin, in this case, describes framing members typically installed parallel to the ridge for the purpose of supporting metal roofing. A purlin also refers to a system of braces used in conventional roof framing to reduce the distance spanned by rafters. Structural panels are more common in commercial, industrial and agricultural applications.

In manufacturing a broad variety of metal roofing products, different kinds of metals are used either alone or mixed together in different combinations to form alloys.

An important way that metal roofing products fail is through corrosion.

metal-panel.jpg

Photo taken from inspection on 6/16/15

This is an architectural aluminum roof. Inspection found no hail/wind damage and fasteners and gaskets were in good condition. Roof was found to be in acceptable condition at time of inspection with no evidence of corrosion.

IMG_0005.JPG

Looking forward to a great class

Asphalt shingles that get patched are not the only roofing material to demonstrate color variation. Some of the panels on this metal roof were replaced after a severe wind storm damaged the structure. Not too difficult to determine which ones.