"Inspecting Portable Fire Extinguishers" online video course

This thread is dedicated exclusively for those students currently enrolled in the InterNACHI online video course titled, “Inspecting Portable Fire Extinguishers.”

This course teaches the student how to perform monthly inspections of portable fire extinguishers in residential and commercial properties. The course was developed in cooperation with NACHI.TV using their hi-resolution, online video course system.

Students are free to pose questions and comments here and join in the conversation with other students. The thread will be monitored by the course instructor.

Contact: Director of Education, Ben Gromicko ben@internachi.org

Other inspector training courses: www.nachi.org/education.

Thank you.

1 Like

The Residential Fire Extinguisher Inspector logo is available for use by all InterNACHI members who have successfully completed the following free online course:

Download logo from http://www.nachi.org/logos.htm#fire

Thanks!

Great art work !

Was just thinking that as I scrolled.
Imagine some dufas actually making patches out of all these great logos and putting them on a Tac vest. lol

Might look at the video just to see what is special beyond the expiration tag.

Edit …I can’t get past the logo,its too cool.

edit edit…help the logo has trapped me and I am mesmerized.

Watched video had no idea about monthly visual inspection so wonder how often it gets practiced.
Here is one from two days ago as I always photo and notate tags at every building inspection.
This info goes under the section of my report titled “Common Areas”

You will notice the tag expires one year after the year printed on the tag and the punch hole which contains the month.

Pls proofread the word Certified on the logo!

oops

Ho HOOO woah nellie.

thanks for the education

OOPs, hope they fixed it. Wouldn’t want to use as-is.

The logo is at http://www.nachi.org/logos.htm#fire

Spelling is correct.

Taking this course now

starting

Hi everyone:
I wanted to share a short story.
As a Contractor I had a customer that had tenants in her townhome and she lived in another state. Her insurance company insisted that fire extinguishers be installed in the townhome, I installed them per their instructions.When I came back for some other maintenance issues a few months later, I saw that all 3 extinguishers were down in basement in the closet.I asked why they were in there? He said"I didn’t want the kids playing with them so I hid them"

I put them all back, told him the general rules about fire safety, informed the owner and she laid down the law with him. I was back in there about a year later and they were exactly where I put them.

I thought it was great this house had a fire extinguisher in the garage, BUT its not much good if a person can not get to it!
Cordell

Good article on firestops.

From the Article:

Fire extinguishers are devices commonly found indoors and are used to douse fire and prevent its spread. They are small metal canisters that contain compressed gas (usually nitrogen) that, when activated, propel a directed spray of flame-retardant chemicals. Fire extinguishers are only effective if building occupants understand where and why they are used.

InterNACHI inspectors should:

•check that a portable fire extinguisher exists within a 30-foot travel distance of commercial-type cooking equipment that uses cooking oil or animal fat.
•check that a portable fire extinguisher is within 75-feet of travel on every floor.
•check for the presence of portable extinguishers, and determine that they are located in conspicuous and readily available locations immediately available for use, and not obstructed or obscured from view.
•confirm that access to extinguishers is not obstructed.
•make sure that the hose (if so equipped) is intact and not obstructed.
•make sure the pressure dial reads in the green or “charged” area. It should also be clear and readable.
•check that the pull pin is securely fastened within the handle and held in place by the tamper seal.
•check for visible dents or cracks in the extinguisher body.
•check that the extinguisher is in its proper location and mounted correctly.
•check for modifications that might reduce the extinguisher’s functionality.
•make sure that the fire extinguisher has a label and that is is legible.

Inspectors should not do the following:

•test fire extinguishers.
•determine the adequate number of fire extinguishers needed or their ratings.
•ignite or extinguish fires.

fire-extinguisher-tags.gif

Thank to this course, I found that my extinguisher expires in 2019. Included in the pic is a 2 1/2 gallon water can. Great to use on class A materials, without the mess of the ABC extinguisher chemical. Also tapping the bottom of chemical extinguisher with a mallet, losses the packed retardant from the bottom.

Read "Fire Extinguisher Maintenance and Inspection"and “Fire Safety for the Home”. Pretty much common sense, but as we have all seen in homes, a lot of folks do not practice fire safety and in results many have paid the price.