Go Back   InterNACHI Inspection Forum > >

Notices

Student Discussions This is a forum for discussing InterNACHI's Inspection Courses.

Old 2/7/18, 4:45 PM
InterNACHI Member

Fire extinguishers have to be with 75 feet of travel on every floor. Access to fire extinguishers can not be obstructed. The dial should read green or chraged and the pull pin and tags must be securely attached. Also the body shouldn't be dented or rusty.

Need a home inspection in Alabama? Check out InterNACHI's listing of Alabama certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 2/7/18, 4:46 PM
InterNACHI Member

This fire extinguisher is clearly very outdated. The safety pin has been removed and the tags are missing. There is quite a bit of paint missing and the metal has a substantial amount of rust. It doesn't have a pressure gauge.

"Inspecting Portable Fire Extinguishers" online video course
Old 2/9/18, 6:51 PM
InterNACHI Member

This isn't a component of the house but one that was In the house during an inspection. The owner of the house was a retired fireman and had this old fire truck restored in his garage. I posted this because the house also had fire extinguishers throughout the house. I didn't include inspecting them as part of my inspection but i did check them as a curiosity as most of the home fire extinguishers are out of date. These were not.

Old 2/9/18, 7:06 PM
InterNACHI Member

Since this was the fire extinguisher module I read Fire Safety in the home. It covered the basics and a lot more. I was aware of the rules and recommendations regarding fire extinguishers and smoke alarms but have never thought to unplug everything when not in use such as toasters, coffee pots etc. I have never had a problem with a small appliance causing a fire but i can see where it can. since mine are all older modles i am going to go into the kitchen right now and start unplugging them

Old 2/12/18, 6:18 PM
InterNACHI Applicant

Inspecting portable fire extinguishers

As you can see this fire extinguisher is up to date and has had a full inspection performed. This is a newer extinguisher, all hoses and proper level have been inspected and evaluated. Overall, this course has been helpful.

Old 2/12/18, 6:21 PM
InterNACHI Applicant

Adjustable Steel Columns

I thought I knew everything about adjustable steel columsn but I have proved myself wrong.

They should be at least 3 inches in diameter. My thought is why do they make them less then 3 inches to begin with? Also, rust free paint is a suprise to me as well.

As an inspector, how do we know if it has the correct paint?

Old 2/13/18, 9:05 AM
Community Guest

Please Note: mrodriguez9 is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with InterNACHI or its members.

Tenemos que inspeccionar el equipo que funcione corectamenta la fecha de vencimiento las manga que no esten rotas los pin el contenido el uso adecuado de utilisarlo e adiestrar en el manej correcto del equipo para facilitar el uso del mismo

Old 2/13/18, 9:22 AM
Community Guest

Please Note: mrodriguez9 is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with InterNACHI or its members.

Tenemos que dar cuentas cundo se realiza una inspeccin mensual todos lls prosecos y reglamentos no todos los estadls tienen el mismo protocoll de inspeccin debemos de conosef lls codigos en el estado en que se realiza la inspeccin corespondiente

Old 2/14/18, 7:38 PM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI) ®

This is a typical type of fire extinguisher set up found in the common areas of Condominiums, apartments etc. It is important to check to see the records of service and condition of fire extinguishers in the common areas. The homeowner should be made aware of their closest extinguishers and they need to be made aware of the condition of this important safety item. The maintenance of fire extinguishers can also be a sign of the maintenance program of a particular building or homeowners association.

Old 2/14/18, 7:43 PM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI) ®

while reading the holiday home safety tips we are reminded how this season increases the risk of fires. many of our clients will be decorating and not be paying attention to or be aware of the increased risk of fire. by reminding our clients of inherent dangers, and reminding our clients to have a working fire extinguisher to deal with a fire if one were to occur.

Old 2/16/18, 4:32 PM
InterNACHI Member

The photo of this fire extinguisher shows the proper tag and gauge, however, the tag has since expired per the monthly and yearly inspection standards. This item should be referred to a qualified professional for evaluation. Regular inspections of fire extinguishers may be a life altering matter and should be regularly kept up with.

Old 2/16/18, 4:47 PM
InterNACHI Member

I reviewed 10 ways to save money on your home. These 10 tips from trading up to a tankless water heater, to replacing incandescent lights, can all save you money each and every month. The smallest of changes may even impact your bill each month. Tips to be considered..

Old 2/18/18, 7:55 PM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI)

A quick overview of portable fire extinguisher inspections:

Is the extinguisher in the right location?

Is the extinguisher easily accessible and easily visible?

Is the tag of the extinguisher in place?

Is the tamper seal in place?

Does the extinguisher feel full by lifting the extinguisher?

Is the body condition goog, with no damage, rust or leaking?

Is the pressure of the extinguisher within range?

Is a hazmat label on the canister?

Is the nozzle clogged?

Need a home inspection in Alabama? Check out InterNACHI's listing of Alabama certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 2/18/18, 8:10 PM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI)

ABC extinguisher- A Class ABC fire extinguisher can be used on 3 different types of small fires: Class A is ordinary combustibles such as wood or paper and the like, Class B is for flammable liquid fires such as grease or gasoline and the like or Class C fires are electrical fires. This extinguisher is good for use on any of these in most cases.

Old 2/21/18, 4:30 AM
InterNACHI Member

Portable fire extinguishers are a must for every household and come in a variety of sizes. The size will be effected by the purpose it is required for. Gas stoves, burners, heaters. Whattype of material house is built from. The fire extinguisher must be easily accessible and also easy to use. The right tool for the right job approach must be adapted.