"Inspecting Wood Shingle and Shake Roofs" online video course

This thread is dedicated exclusively for those students currently enrolled in the InterNACHI online video course titled, “Inspecting Wood Shingle and Shake Roofs.”

Upon successful completion of this course, the student will have a good working knowledge of the inspection of wood shingle and shake roofs including identification of the different types, performance and aging characteristics, common defects, and wind and hail damage.

Special thanks to Kenton Shepard, InterNACHI Director of Green Building and International Development, for the content – the result of two years of exceptional research, photography and writing.

The Inspecting Wood Shingle and Shake Roofs online video course includes:

• 4 training videos;
  • 49 minutes of training video;
  • 1 quiz;
  • 57-page student book download;
  • 60-question final exam (drawn from a much larger pool);
  • 2 Continuing Education credit hours;
  • instant grading;
  • a downloadable, printable Certificate of Completion; and
  • accreditations and state approvals.

The Inspecting Wood Shingle and Shake Roofs online video course covers the following topics:

• Standards
  • Grading
  • Performance
  • Preservative-Treated
  • Shingles
  • Shakes
  • Sidewall
  • Grain
  • Longevity
  • Roof Sheathing
  • Spaced Sheathing
  • Solid Sheathing
  • Climate Zones
  • Underlayment
  • Interlayment
  • Waterproof
  • 2-Ply
  • 3-Ply
  • Starter Course
  • Projection and Overhang
  • Exposure
  • Staggered
  • Spacing
  • Vertical Alignment
  • Width
  • Sidewall
  • Slope
  • Fasteners
  • Caps
  • Weathering
  • Bleeding
  • Defect Recognition
  • Distortion
  • Cupping
  • Curling
  • Splitting
  • Checking
  • Wind Damage
  • Hail Damage
  • Mechanical Damage
  • Chemical
  • Biological
  • Decay
  • Roof Maintenance
  • Repair Methods
  • End of Useful Life

And, in keeping with InterNACHI’s commitment to Continuing Education, this course is open and free to all members, and can be taken again and again, without limit.

Students are free to pose questions and comments here and join in the conversation with other students. The thread will be monitored by the course instructor.

Contact: Director of Education, Ben Gromicko ben@internachi.org

Thank you.

in receiving an e-mail that had a link to wood shingle roofs, I have tried to access it but the window opened that I had to review the online forum. I went to theforum but still cannot get to the course. HELP! :frowning:

Screen Shot 2012-05-02 at 6.07.03 PM.jpg
Here’s the slide that has the required link.

Screen Shot 2012-05-02 at 6.08.25 PM.png
If you click the NEXT button to progress to the next slide, a message pops up.

Screen Shot 2012-05-02 at 6.08.31 PM.jpg
The message says to click the links that are highlighted in yellow.

Click the yellow highlighted link, which takes you to a dedicated forum. When that happens, your internet browser might make a new window – either as a new tab or a new separate window.

**IMPORTANT PART: ** Close that tab, or close that window. Then proceed with the course.

I am going to take it right now. I am sure it will be very useful to me.

Gregory
GT Home Inspections Ltd.

Moving on to this next roofing course.

And another …

http://www.houstontx.gov/em/graphics/emwin03/feather-cap.gif

I am starting course now

Starting course now :slight_smile:

Starting the course today, looking forward to it!

Hi everyone:

I have completed the course on Shake and shingle roofs and now understand a lot of the reasons why so many of these roofs look in bad condition. Improper installation, weathering, exposure lengths , tree , hail and wildlife damage are all contributing factors to the roof’s lifespan. Very informative.
thanks
Nat

These are photos of a wood shingle roof of a commercial property in the Toronto Ontario area. The climate here consists of very cold and snowy winters and hot humid summers. The roof in these photos is approximately 20 years old and is showing a lot of cupping and curling, which is increasing it’s probability of a leakage.

This shingle roof breaks all the installation rules. Dubbed locally as the “hobbit house”

These shingles are original to this 25±year-old log house. They sit above an underlying 2x12 roof substructure (filled with insulation) that rests on the ceiling logs. The moss growth was most noticeable on the east side of the house, which was also the most shaded portion of the roof. The homeowner was frustrated with his choice of shingles for this house.

Mastering Roof Inspections: Wood Shakes and Shingles, Part 1 explains the basics of wood shingles. It covers manufacturing and performance standards. It highlighted the differences between shakes and shingles, as well as the importance of the various types of grain.

Mastering Roof Inspections: Wood Shakes and Shingles, Part 2 explains the different grades of shakes and shingles associated with the IRC and the CSSB. It covered the different factors that impact the longevity of shakes and shingles. The rest of the article addressed the proper installation of shakes and shingles.

Another great class. Thank you for the pictures and illustrations.

roof.jpg

This is a picture of a wooden shingle roof. The roof seems to be in good shape and in good working order.

Mastering Roof Inspections-- Wood Shakes and Shingles Part 1

There are two types of wood roofing, shingles and shakes. Neither has the practicality of asphalt shingles. There are many other roofing products that try to simulate look of wood shingles and shakes. Wooden shingles and shakes are generally made from cedar, spruce, or treated pine. Wood roofing is especially popular for older homes and those based upon historical styles.

Mastering Roof Inspections-- Wood Shakes and Shingles Part 7

Protecting wood from decay is of very important. Decay can occur fairly quickly, and failure from weathering is an accumulative process. Leaves and other debris that accumulate on roofs, in valleys and gutters, trap moisture in shingles, increasing the likelihood of decay. Loose debris from roofs and gutters should be cleaned routinely to protect against decay. Refinishing will reduce weathering.

This was a picture from a recent inspection of a home that was 26yrs old and the roof appears to be original.
The material is showing signs of age and deterioration. Recommended at a minimum having a roof certification completed or further evaluation by a roofer.

The many wood roofs I have inspected are in need of some form of maintenance. Rarely do I ever step foot on a wood roof for fear of damage to the shingles. I move along the roof eave with the ladder and at any good point such as 2nd level windows I gain more view points. A recent inspection I wrote up a wood shingle roof and the quote to replace was $80,000… I was shocked but this is why we do inspections!

Hello this is a great class! I have learned a lot and have a lot more understanding now about wood roofs ! thanks!