Lead Renovation, Repair, and Painting Course

This thread is exclusively for those students actively enrolled in InterNACHI’s free, online Lead Renovation, Repair, and Painting Course.

Students may ask questions and discuss course topics with other students and the course instructor.

Need assistance? Contact Ben at ben@internachi.org.

Just getting to this course and after going thru it, I have gained a lot of information about safe renovation practices. Seeing how quickly it can contaminate the surroundings areas and how easy it is to overlook recontaminating an area was very helpful.

Just getting to this course and after going thru it, I have gained a lot of information about safe renovation practices. Seeing how quickly it can contaminate the surroundings areas and how easy it is to overlook recontaminating an area was very helpful.
Here are a couple of pictures of exterior wood siding that was simply painted over several times since the 1970’s and the original lead based paint was never removed, it was just covered up.

looking forward to taking this coarse. Now I have Home Appraisers in my area writing on their appraisal form that the house has Lead Paint. I had to make a second trip to the house and test the door in question to prove there wasn’t any lead. I have on my form that I do not test for environmental issues but this really burnt me up.

First, and its hard to say but I was Wrong. I didn’t know that if your dealing with a structure 1978 or older, you should consider it to have lead paint till proved different. I was previously angry with an appraiser that mentioned it in his report and he was 100 percent correct.

I had a home built in 1933 close to an inspection I did this week so I went and tested the window frame for Leas with 3M instant Lead test kit. There was no question, and it was fast. Almost instantly the grove I cut turned Red and the tester went from a pale pink to red. I tested the exterior door frames and the Porch posts and the were also positive. This house is 50 feet from my inspection and they have 3 little girls. I told my customers not to let their children play over there.

DSC01464.JPG

I read the two articles in our library, and had I not taken the Lead RRP course I would call it knowledge. After completing the course I am more knowledgeable but I still have questions. Should we test for and notify the buyer if we believe the hoe has Lead paint. I say that I don’t test for environmental issues but I do call out Lead Pipes if I see them. Of course that will probably blow the deal for the realtor even though they should have told the customer that there may be lead paint. I know in there paperwork under disclosers they are not held responsible for anything. The seller will say they didn’t know and If the home inspector doesn’t say anything the cycle goes on.

Lets see, Mold, Lead, Chinese Drywall and Meth house. I fell like all three of the Monkeys and not the singing group.

After starting this course I did a few homes built in the early 1970’s and tried to picture lead based paint abatement at each of the houses. I paid particular attention to areas where protocol would have to be followed inside the houses. A lot of interior areas have carpets and some architectural designs for houses built in the 70’s would be a challenge to remediate. Having said that, as I inspected the homes I tried to visualize the process I learned in the course for each room in each house. It is interesting how you can visualize putting up the two sheets of plastic and place signage at appropriate areas at doorways and openings into the subject room. I learned the value of being able to explain the process to clients which in my opinion is the most valuable thing of all.

I took the lead course and found it much better than the RRP classes I took. But in reality I find the suggested practices difficult and almost impossible to perform and feel this is a knee jerk reaction to a real problem but the solution will cause many renovators to not comply.
Control dust, keep a clean worksite and watch how much dust you create, but bagging and goosenecks on bags seems silly and time consuming.
Here’s a picture of a

ok the lead course and found it much better than the RRP classes I took. But in reality I find the suggested practices difficult and almost impossible to perform and feel this is a knee jerk reaction to a real problem but the solution will cause many renovators to not comply.
Control dust, keep a clean worksite and watch how much dust you create, but bagging and goosenecks on bags seems silly and time consuming.
Here’s a picture of a 1976 home that did have traces of lead on the fascia. It was sold as a HUD home and required mandatory testing. All other surfaces were clean from lead.

Wells.jpg

The siding and trim paint was deteriorating on this home built in 1939. All houses built before 1978 are likely to contain some lead-based paint. Lead-based paints were banned for use in housing in 1978. Existing lead paint can be a health hazard if not properly handled.

If you plan to repaint, do any type of demolition, or remodel the existing structure, I would recommend first having the area tested for lead paint by a licensed, lead certified firm that uses certified renovators to manage the work being done.

Article: Lead Facts for Inspectors

Lead in any form is toxic to humans if breathed or ingested, even in very minute amounts (dust typically). The symptoms of lead poisoning are common for many diseases or illnesses and are not easy to identify with lead poisoning. Lead poisoning can come from lead in the soil, dust around the home, or the water system. The best way to identify whether or not you have lead poisoning would be to have your blood tested specifically for lead. Small children are especially at risk for lead poisoning and its detrimental health effects.

Picture taken from house built prior 1978, visible signs of chipping and peeling paint from exterior wall surface. Suspect lead base paint exposure, a EPA test kit should be used to verify.

Before proceeding with any kind of service work.

Lead Facts for Inspectors

Where around the home is lead likely to be found?

in soil. Even if lead paint has been removed from exterior walls, chips may have made their way into the soil. Also, lead may have been deposited from car exhaust many years ago when gasoline contained high concentrations of lead.in dust. Dust can become contaminated in a number of ways, often from soil that makes its way into the home or from lead paint that has been disturbed.in plumbing and tap water. Some older houses still have lead plumbing. Even in houses that have copper pipes, lead solder was often used to bond these pipes together.in older paint. In 1978, lead-based paint was banned in the United States. Still, homes constructed after that date may have used lead-based paint that had been warehoused.

Although, I’ve seen and been around houses that were very old, I guess I have just ignored the consequences of the damage lead based paint could do. I will now be acutely aware of my surroundings and the people around lead based paint. Although, this pic has no lead in paint, I will pay more attention frfom here on out

This was a very informative section on the problems of lead based paint, especially in the 1950-1960’s. I would be willing to bet if test were done in the soil around some of the older homes around America we’d be shocked. We had a garden growing up. I don’t doubt there was dust in that dirt.

This is a picture from a home built in the late 1930’s that has had an open porch converted into a interior living space,as you can see the lead base paint has been painted over.

Further investigation of the home showed that all interior trim and wood work were in the same condition as this area in the picture

The lead based paint is still chipping and peeling which I advised my client of and what the inherent dangers are.

I then recommended that this area be remediated by a licensed lead contractor

I just completed the lead renovation repair course. There is so much to learn. This course is just the beginning like any other subject the real learning is done in the field along with researching each new thing you encounter.

The attached photo is of paint in a stairway of a hundred-year-old house. I suggest removing one of the chips to send for testing. If lead is present we need to recommend a licensed lead contractor to remove lead and repair the area.

WINDOW BARS
Metal bars installed over the exterior of windows are known as window bars. These bars are used to deter intruders from entering the property, but these bars can cause egress problems. About 25 people die each year from inaccessible egress due to window bars. The 2006 IRC states windows intended for egress that has window bars must have a quick release mechanism.

Hi everyone Ed Tennyson signing in