"Lead-Safe Work Practices" online video course

This thread is dedicated exclusively for those students currently enrolled in the InterNACHI online video course “Lead-Safe Work Practices.”
The course objective is to train contractors and property inspectors about lead-safe work practices to prevent the creation of lead hazards during renovation, repair and painting work in pre-1978 housing and child-occupied facilities.

And, in keeping with InterNACHI’s commitment to Continuing Education, this course is open and free to all members, and can be taken again and again, without limit.

Students are free to pose questions and comments here and join in the conversation with other students. The thread will be monitored by the course instructor.

Contact: Director of Education, Ben Gromicko ben@internachi.org

Thank you.

1 Like

Good course. Thanks.

Mark Yates is taking the course. Intriguing.

Ben

There is a typo or error in Module 1, Section: Why are dust and debris a problem? According to EPA/RRP, high temperature heat guns are hotter than 1,100 degrees F, and low temperature heat guns are less than 1,100 degr. F.
The module refers to 11,000 degrees F in the section, after:

Pre-1978 paint may contain lead.

Renovation, repair and painting jobs disturb paint that may contain lead. Any activity involving surface preparation, such as hand-scraping, power-sanding, the use of heat guns hotter than 11,000° , and open flame-burning can all generate lead dust. More complicated tasks, such as removing building components and demolishing walls, also may create a lot of dust.

Mark Yates

Corrected.
Good catch!
Thank you.

10 year + old course but an important subject. The last video was not working when I took this online. I had hoped that a bit more info of “How Sick” would the defined toxic level (1 gram of .5% lead paint/125 sqft) make a child & over what period of time at that exposure level to develop quantifiable Brain Abnormalities.
(I hope that lab rats could provide the needed data.)

Michael Amick
Mid TN Property Services, Inc.

I checked all the videos. They are all playing on our end. Could have been just a temporary “hickup” in the Internet connection.

Good morning Ben, thanks for your efforts with all of the training that you and NACHI have provided.
I am very grateful, Jack Reusser

Hi everyone:

I have gone thru the course and found all of the information very informative. The small amounts of lead dust that can contaminate such a large area was eye opening.

Thank you for this course, I found it to be very informative.

I am taking this course for the second time . My neighbor has a rental property was built in 1956 he is replacing windows and doing interior I did not see evidence renovator using any of these safety procedures.

House was built in 1965. This window was original (so I was told) to the house. If this is true, I’m sure there’s some lead based paint under there somewhere. All the rest of the windows were replaced with new vinyl ones. Not sure why this one stayed.

The first article I read, “Lead Facts” reiterated the dangers and toxicity of lead that we learned in the course. Rhetorical question: If lead based paint (and gasoline) were so rampant prior to 1978 and especially during the 50’s when up to 50% lead was allowed, why don’t more adults and elderly people have ADD/ADHD symptoms. It seems like it’s the younger generation (Gen Y & Z’ers) are the ones most diagnosed with the problems. Something to ponder.

The second article, “Lead Facts for Inspectors”, gives good information regarding lead pipes used for water supply and how to minimize exposure by using cold water instead of warm/hot water. Oddly enough, with all this hubbub about the dangers of lead, especially such small particles, why we are still able to use lead in paint (up to 0.06%). Why haven’t we outlawed it completely? Also, what about commercial structures? It specifically mentions RESIDENTIAL, but nothing about COMMERCIAL. I would guess most schools would have a plethora of lead based paint. Interesting…

This is a picture taken during an inspection of a 1960s built home in a small town near Toronto Ontario. The client is an inventor who planned on renovating this house. I advised the client that the paint may contain lead and the flooring may be asbestos backed linoleum, both of which are hazardous while being removed and that PPE (personal protective equipment) will be required while carrying out the renovations.

For this module I am using one of my mock inspections. In particular I noticed that most of the windows and door trim including the porch railing have peeling/chipping paint. The home was built in 1989, so the likelihood that it is lead-based paint is small, however I might still recommend it just to be safe. Especially since they are expecting a new baby.

DSCN0347.JPG

For the reading and writing assignment for this course I chose to write about the following two articles:

Biowall Inspection
I think initially a biowall sounds like a good idea. The benefits of having a “living” wall both physically and psychologically see sound. However, I’m concerned about introducing moisture to a wall system where there hasn’t been before. Maybe a freestanding wall, one not connected to the rest of the building might work. My fear is that even with the best planning, plants will find a way to enter into undesirable areas and introduce moisture, which could lead to mold. I would be interested to see a real-life application of this and see how it has fared over time. I do believe that SBS is a real condition, as many times in the past, my wife and I have lived in buildings that we believed to be “sick”.

Bloom Boxes®
Interesting article. Not sure what it has to do with inspections. As it seems that this type of technology is not likely to hit residential homes any time soon. I believe the desire to move towards a more “green” energy efficient power grid is a noble effort. One that I think in the coming years we will actually see some dividends. Already, there are more wind and solar farms producing energy than at any other time in history. As the price to produce and operate these technological wonders, the more prevalent they will become. I’ve seen a marked increase in the number of homes that have solar panels on them. The house I inspected today in fact had an array on its roof.

I recently completed an RRP on a Pre- 1978 Home, this is taken after Wet Scraping and Clean Up. Upon doing estimate I Inspected Peeling and Flaking Paint on the home and it being Pre-1978 knew it was Lead based. Always error on the side of caution. I treated the project as an RRP , before even receiving confirmation.

Michael Hammes
Owner
River City Property Services LLC
Onalaska Wi

The facts on Lead Paint are numerous and effects everybody. It effects Children the most but adults can be affected as well. Anybody that works around Lead Paint should wear proper PPE in order to protect themselves as well as the families and general public. The only way to really fix the problem is proper training, strict regulations and harsh enforcement.

Michael Hammes
Owner
River City Property Services LLC
Onalaska WI

This nearly 100-year-old house had problems with moisture due to a disconnected downspout. The paint on the foundation wall was flaking off. Lead-safe practices should be followed when scraping and cleaning up.

A Duty to Warn is a helpful article for the inspector beyond simply the issue of lead paint. The article wisely and soberly highlights 6 areas of concern (WDO, mold, lead, natural hazards, repairs, and an infamous past). The final section Where to draw the line? offers sage advice for inspectors concerning legal ramifications in this area.

It would be helpful for the inspector, once he knows the approximate age of the house he will be inspecting, to take along a copy of the consumer-oriented article Lead Facts. This article informs homeowners about the health effects of lead, where lead can be found, where it is likely to be a hazard, and what the client can do to help protect their family from this potential danger.

This photo shows the paint of the exterior trim starting to peel, needing to be scraped and repainted. If a lead test shows the paint contains lead it will necessitate proper containment and remediation procedures. This will require protecting at least 10’ out from the structure, the plastic sheeting rolled up at the edges, and a barrier rope out 20’ from the building.

Max Hall
Las Vegas Environmental Testing