Go Back   InterNACHI Inspection Forum > >

Notices

Student Discussions This is a forum for discussing InterNACHI's Inspection Courses.

Old 5/16/18, 10:59 AM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI) ®

To avoid future mold issues, dry water-damaged areas and items within 24 to 48 hours. Molds produce allergens, irritants and sometimes toxic substances. Mold spores will not grow if moisture is not present. If mold growth is present in the home, the water problem must be fixed

Need a home inspection in New Hampshire? Check out InterNACHI's listing of New Hampshire certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 5/17/18, 12:35 AM
InterNACHI Member

I was doing a sewer scope for a customer. When I walked into the basement all I could smell was this musty smell. When I looked around all the insulation was black and there was efflorescence all over the basement walls.

"How to Perform Mold Inspections"
Old 5/17/18, 12:55 AM
InterNACHI Member

I read the mold article along with taking this class. I was surprised to learn that mold spores are everywhere. The article and class describe the clean up process. Using detergent and water after you fix any water leaks before letting it fully dry. Carpet and ceiling tiles usually need thrown away because the mold can stick in the gaps. The biggest thing I learned was the importance of cleaning the mold as soon as its seen and stop the moisture problems.

Old 5/18/18, 4:55 PM
Student Inspector

I have provided a picture of biological growth (mold) found in the attic of a home which is yet to be confirmed. Color, pattern and location of the biological growth should be key indicators that require further analysis when inspecting. A sample of the growth using a test medium like Bio-Tape in many cases will provide enough of a sample to the laboratory. Without a determination of biological growth, the homeowner may be placing their family and home structure in unnecessary jeopardy.

Old 5/19/18, 3:07 PM
InterNACHI Member

The right rear corner basement wall showed evidence of suspected mold/fungi like substance. Recommend inspection and evaluation by a qualified mold inspector to determine the exact nature of the substance. Recommend repairs/remediation based on those findings by a licensed contractor.

Old 5/19/18, 3:11 PM
InterNACHI Member

Mold, Moisture and Your Home- I learned that mold can cause health issues, structural damage and unpleasant odors. The main key to preventing mold growth is moisture control. Moisture in a home that is not treated immediately can lead to mold growth.

Old 5/21/18, 10:55 AM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI)

Here is an image of a HVAC units duct work, the unit is installed is an attic. The image shows the attachment area of the duct work to the unit. There is evidence of air leakage at the attacment area which is causing condensation to form where the cold air meets the hot air in the attic space causing an environment conducive to mood growth.

Old 5/21/18, 11:04 AM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI)

I own a home inspection business in Florida consisting of myself and one other inspector, Imam currently taking the mold inspection course for my continuing education. In the past I have been afraid of dealing or even mentioning the word mold on my Inspections because of last lability reasons. After taking this course I am now considering offering mold inspection services.