"How To Perform Mold Inspections" online video course

This thread is dedicated exclusively for those students currently enrolled in InterNACHI’s “How to Perform Mold Inspections” online video course](http://www.nachi.org/videomoldcourse.htm).

The purpose of the course is to define and teach good practice for conducting a mold inspection of a building. The student will learn how to find and report mold growth that may exist in a building using a visual examination and mold sampling of the building.

Dr. Shane, chief mycologist at Pro-Lab®, is a guest instructor of the course and demonstrates how to use mold sampling equipment and devices.

Students are free to pose questions and comments here and join in the conversation with other students. The thread will be monitored by the course instructor.

In keeping with InterNACHI’s commitment to Continuing Education, this course is open and free to all members, and can be taken again and again, without limit.

Contact: Director of Education, Ben Gromicko ben@internachi.org

Inspector training courses: www.nachi.org/education.

Thank you.

3 Likes

While I understand the non desire to be brought into a litigation situation.

In the mold course it states that an inspector should not perform a mold inspection if it may be involved in a litigation.

If you do your job correctly how would this be any different that the possibility of any other inspection report being taken to court.
You should simply follow the SOP and rely on a reliable testing lab.

Ready to begin

Here we go

I have stated this before in the various course critiques. But since I don’t get any replies I’ll put it here. Ben, a relief valve on a boiler is not a TPR valve. Water heaters have TPR’s, boilers only relieve by pressure. Boiler valves don’t sense temperature and open up. Are you confused by the BTU rating on boiler relief valves? That is only a statement of how many btu’s the valve can handle at the set pressure. Make sure the btu rating of the valve is larger than the btu of the boiler. That is the only reason it is stated. Once again boilers only relieve on pressure increase.

Hi, Timothy. I apologize for any delayed response. I promise to look into the course content and post any changes deemed necessary. What you’re saying sounds correct, and I will make sure we do a review and some research to make things accurate within the course. Thank you for the input and feedback.

We’ve created a new slide that helps inspectors learn about pressure and valves on boilers at InterNACHI® - International Association of Certified Home Inspectors

Signing in for another great course I am sure.

Ben, just out of curiosity, what is the average exam score, cumulatively, for all members?
And does anybody have straight A’s, or 100% on all tests? :slight_smile:

For this particular course exam:

• Average Grade: 80.71
  • Average Passing Grade: 86.07
  • Average Failing Grade: 60.07
  • Achieved 100% score: 0.16% of all examinees

Ben,
Thanks for the reply. So about half fail the course? That seems kind of high.
Is this one of the tougher courses, or about average?
You probably have better things to do, so I won’t ask any more questions :slight_smile:

This is a tough one. But it’s important to get the best training.

Thank you Ben.

Ben,

Just wanted to say, you did a nice job with the mold inspection course. Here’s what was particularly effective for me…

1. A lot of repetition of salient points. Repetition is the key to learning.
  2. Brought in some other experts who added additional insight.
  3. Loved the clips of you going through several homes detailing what you were looking at and what stood out…and pictures…and again…repetition.

Nice course and very effective training on your part!

Scott Wickard
Inspector
Knoxville, TN

Ready to Begin this moldy topic. :slight_smile:
Mr. Kevin Hutchinson

Excited to get this course underway!

ready to begin

just increasing my knowledge base

Going to start this

That was one of the harder ones…
I made a 94% and I thought for sure I would have failed it the first time.
I liked it…Very good Ben.

Here goes the mold.