Go Back   InterNACHI Inspection Forum > >

Notices

Student Discussions This is a forum for discussing InterNACHI's Inspection Courses.

Old 9/14/18, 11:00 AM
InterNACHI Applicant

Research & Writing Assignment:

In my process of conducting my inspection on the Main Service Disconnect. I noted that it is a 200 amp service with the conductor size of 4-0. The conductor is an aluminum wire but has no anti-oxidation paster on it.

Need a home inspection in Wyoming? Check out InterNACHI's listing of Wyoming certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 9/14/18, 11:05 AM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI) ®

Inspection & Writing Assignment:

My photo is the service disconnect located on the east side of the outside wall of the home.Everything seems to be labeled properly and all components appear to be in good working condition. The labels are degraded and need to be rewritten in the near future.

How to Perform Residential Electrical Inspections
Old 9/14/18, 11:25 AM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI) ®

I read the article on AFCI testers. It explained what an AFCI is, what the tester is, how it functions, and how to operate one. The article explains the
AFCI tester is a supplementary indicator of the functionality of the AFCI and not to rely entirely on the indicator, but to also check test buttons to fully know if the AFCI is in proper condition.

Old 9/14/18, 12:41 PM
InterNACHI Member

The Article I chose to discuss is electrical safety. Some safety tips to remember are to use proper fusses to protect circuits. Find and protect those circuits that are overloaded. You should keep ladders and equipment away from overhead power lines. If there is water in the area the outlets should be on a GFCI circuit or be GFCI outlets.

Old 9/14/18, 12:46 PM
InterNACHI Member

For this essay I took a picture of the Service drop to discuss. This is an older house built in 1960 and has overhead service. The cable assembly is comprised of two ungrounded conductors and one grounded cunductor. The Service cables are connected to the service entrance by way of crimped connectios. There is a prpoper drip loop before going into the mast and the mast head.

Old 9/14/18, 2:54 PM
InterNACHI Member

For my photo i choose to use a bathroom sink. On the right hand side of the photo you can see that it does have a GFCI outlet installed it is missing the cover which is just as dangerous. Also if you look on the left hand side of the photo you will see a light switch that is missing its cover as well. Both of these should be repaired.

Old 9/14/18, 3:07 PM
InterNACHI Member

for my article i choose lighting. in this article i learned that a new type of gas piping called CSST, while because its smaller it makes it easier to work with, it has been proven that it is more prone to lightning strikes. there are many lawsuits filed against it and inspectors should make sure its properly installed in order to be deemed safe.

Old 9/14/18, 3:37 PM
InterNACHI Member

This is an image of a service disconnect with 100 AMP service. The image shows a double tap of two hot conductors onto one breaker. Consult with a qualified Electrician to separate the conductors from the breaker onto their own dedicated breakers.

Old 9/14/18, 3:41 PM
InterNACHI Member

I am writing about the image located at https://www.nachi.org/gallery/?level=picture&id=314. The grounding rod appears to be an approved grounding electrode that properly terminates above the ground surface. The grounding wire is observed to be in the proper location on the clamp, i.e., not behind the screws.

Old 9/14/18, 4:16 PM
InterNACHI Member

While inspecting the attic area I came upon old knob and tube wiring. I tested it with a static tester and it tested live. Knob and tube wiring is out dated and needs to be updated to the current standards using the correct size wire for the circuit.

Old 9/14/18, 4:28 PM
InterNACHI Member

This is a ground fault interrupter. It senses any power difference in ungrounded conductor and the grounded conductor of more than 5 milliamps, which trips the mini breaker within the outlet to cut power to the receptacle. It can be effectively be used in branch circuit wiring to protect the down stream receptacles if wired in correctly.

Old 9/14/18, 4:29 PM
InterNACHI Member

When checking the electrical duplex Receptical.it is important to use the proper tester to check for the following. That you have a proper ground for the Receptical.that you have the proper polarity I'm other words the neutral is connected to the silver screw and the hot or black wire is connected to the gold colored screw. If not this is a defect & should be corrected by a licensed electrician.

Old 9/14/18, 4:37 PM
InterNACHI Member

I read the aluminum wire article. I know that single strand aluminum wiring was commonly used between 1965 and 1973 due to copper price increase and it being relatively new without much case study. I is not a great conductor material because a few but limited too: its highly resistant nature which causes overheating, it expands and contracts more than copper which can cause loose or overtight connections, it is highly corrosive and it is ductile or brittle.

Need a home inspection in Wyoming? Check out InterNACHI's listing of Wyoming certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 9/14/18, 5:23 PM
InterNACHI Member

The inspector noted open ground receptacle outlets throughout main floor of structure. However, at each location where an open ground receptacle outlet was noted, the receptacle outlet was noted to be a functioning, GFCI application with stickers identifying the receptacle outlets as having "no equipment ground." This is considered acceptable practice for open ground receptacle outlets, as the GFCI receptacle outlet will still provide some level of protection, but alerts occupant to a lack of proper ground. The inspector does note that, at some locations, the stickers were in Spanish. While this may pose issues with translation and communication, the sticker is noted to be present.

Old 9/14/18, 5:28 PM
InterNACHI Member

Review of Library Image of NM Type Cable Installation
The picture illustrates that NM type cable is improperly secured when stapled in a manner where wiring would be perpendicular to the framing member (standing tall, or off, framing member). Proper securing involves the type NM cable laying flush/flat on framing member surface and then being secured with staple at appropriate distances.