Go Back   InterNACHI Inspection Forum > >

Notices

Student Discussions This is a forum for discussing InterNACHI's Inspection Courses.

Old 1/20/19, 8:09 PM
InterNACHI Member

Inspection & Writing Assignment:

I am inspecting a breaker box system. The service is a two phase 100 amp service. SEC are #3 copper 2 hot and 1 ground. There is 1 double tap on a 30 amp breaker on the left side second from the bottom also circuit branch conductors running through top of breaker box is missing the proper protection going through the top of breaker box. My recommendation is to contact a licensed electrician to evaluate the breaker system.

How to Perform Residential Electrical Inspections
Need a home inspection in Wyoming? Check out InterNACHI's listing of Wyoming certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 1/20/19, 8:37 PM
InterNACHI Member

Research & Writing Assignment:

Electrical Safety. Many people every year lose their life or get seriously injured due to electricity. There are ways to stay safe in the home by keeping a close eye on the surrounding and the condition of appliances that use electricity. Watch for any type of moisture on the floor or dampness where appliances plug in. Keep an eye on small children and receptacles. Never try to fix anything that deals with electricity that you are not trained for, call a trained professional.

Old 1/20/19, 9:39 PM
InterNACHI Member

The faceplate to this receptacle was present and intact. The associated screw was present and tight. The receptacle was not loose or wiggly upon inspection. Visual inspection showed no signs of arcing or over heating or burns. The receptacle was acceptable.

Old 1/20/19, 9:45 PM
InterNACHI Member

The selected image from the Illustration Gallery of the receptacle hanging above the sunken tub is a good illustration of what is and is not acceptable. The red area that designates unacceptable proximity from receptacle to the tub clearly demonstrates that the light fixture is too close (within 8ft) to the tub.

Old 1/20/19, 9:55 PM
InterNACHI Member

I observed a electrical panel with the cover still installed. I noted the 30 amp two pole breaker installed at the bottom of the bus, recommend it be installed near the top to dissipate heat. I also noted the breakers are not labeled as to what circuit they feed.

Old 1/20/19, 10:11 PM
Community Guest

As you can see in the attached photo there is rust and an active within the main electrical panel, what is not shown in the photo is about 2 tubs of silicon on the top of the meter box. I considered that as a red flag and suspected moisture penetration before removing the dead front. I realize I should have not removed the dead front because of the suspected moisture in the panel. I suggested further evaluation and correction by a licensed electrician.

Old 1/20/19, 10:21 PM
InterNACHI Member

I read the electrical panel from hell. I observed the many defects. Many of the defects present a hazard. The undersized conductors are used for feeders and branch wiring. Conductors improperly routed allow for the potential of no fused protection of branch wiring. Due to the many defects in the panel and meter socket if this were in a home I would recommend further evaluation and repair by a licensed electrician.

Old 1/20/19, 10:52 PM
Community Guest

My essay is on "Edison's Early Accident". In 1879 Edison created a glass globe light bulb. However once the bulb was perfected Edison installed his creation in the parlor of William Henry Vanderbilt. Once installed a fire broke out to the wiring not being properly insulated.

Old 1/21/19, 12:58 AM
InterNACHI Member

The service panel is rated for 200 amp 42 spaces. Main breaker (top center) or main disconnect, when switched in the off position will turn off power to the breakers below. Majority of the breakers are of the branded Square D type. With room for additional breakers to be installed if required. Indoor load label on panel door (right of photo) with circuit breakers identified here.

Old 1/21/19, 12:58 AM
InterNACHI Member

The article Electrical Panel Inspection, by Nick Gromickio, states that panels manufactured by Zinsco or Federal Pacific Electric (FPE) have a reputation for being problematic and further evaluation by a qualified electrician is recommended. The blue and silver label "Zinsco" panels can have the same defective conditions as Federal Electric (FE) panels.

Old 1/21/19, 9:31 AM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI) ®

I inspected an electrical panel that appeared to only have one issue. The panel had a missing knockout ring at the top left ceiling of the box. The knockout was not currently being used by any conductor. I recommended that a qualified electrician be called to remedy the issue and gave the appropriate reasons as to why the issue needs addressed.

Old 1/21/19, 10:01 AM

I chose the article of electrical safety for this essay. I think we all get complacent once in a while, so it is important to be reminded of the basics. We could all probably be a bit more proactive when it comes to things like parting with an extension cord or power tool sooner, rather than trying to get a little more time out of it. The same goes for keeping up with other appliances.

Old 1/21/19, 12:46 PM

The picture is of a dead front cover missing screws and using improper screws. The screws that were used have have a pointed tip and are too long. The pointed tip can penetrate the insulation of a live wire causing arcing and possibly a fire.

Need a home inspection in Wyoming? Check out InterNACHI's listing of Wyoming certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 1/21/19, 12:56 PM

During this home inspection I was looking over the main panel for proper bonding. The neutral and ground bus were properly bonded together, and the ground bus was bonded properly to the panel enclosure via a green bonding screw. This was a properly bonded panel/setup.

Old 1/21/19, 1:00 PM

I am writing my essay on the image, electrical panel work space depth. All service panels should have adequate space around them to be safely worked on, and easy access for emergencies. The correct depths are 3ft in front of the panel, 30'' side to side, and 6.5ft head clearance.