Go Back   InterNACHI Inspection Forum > >

Notices

Student Discussions This is a forum for discussing InterNACHI's Inspection Courses.

Old 1/22/19, 5:18 PM
InterNACHI Applicant

Research & Writing Assignment:

Double-Tapped Breakers - unless they are approved for double-tapping, this issue should be reported and recommended for further evaluation by a licensed electrician; especially for dissimilar material. The problem with double tapping is that each conductor will not have enough contact area against the screw or its lug, which may lead to arcing and overheating of the conductors and potentially causing fire

Need a home inspection in Wyoming? Check out InterNACHI's listing of Wyoming certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 1/22/19, 7:15 PM
InterNACHI Applicant

Inspection & Writing Assignment:

For my essay, I took a photo of a wiring defect in a main service panel. An undersized conductor had been installed and the insulation has melted in multiple areas due to over heating. This is a safety issue. Further evaluation by a qualified electrification is required.

How to Perform Residential Electrical Inspections
Old 1/22/19, 7:28 PM
InterNACHI Applicant

For my Essay, I chose the illustration of receptacle inspection. I've learned that a representative number of outlets and all GFCI outlets should be inspected/tested. A property receptacle tester should be used preferably with a GFCI button. Moving forward as a home inspector, I will test all readily accessible receptacles.

Old 1/22/19, 8:27 PM
InterNACHI Member

The electrical service panel is a 200 amp service. There is aluminum terminal wire going into the main fed. Circuit breakers appear to be tight and functioning properly with additional room for more breakers. There is no visible signs of water or rodent damage. This electrical service panel appears to be in good working condition,

Old 1/22/19, 9:08 PM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI) ®

A missing breaker knockout can be dangerous and even deadly. But many times there are holes where wires have been tampered with or where a finger or screwdriver could come in contact a live component. Covered breaker knockout holes can help prevent an accidental electrocution.

Old 1/22/19, 9:27 PM
InterNACHI Member

Upon the electrical inspection in the lower level of this home, it was discovered there are no GFCI outlets in the lower level bathroom. Furthermore it also appears that this electrical circuit is overloaded and requires immediate attention. It was also found that the lower level hallway light switch is missing the switch cover. This is a safety hazard and also requires immediate attention.

Old 1/22/19, 10:08 PM
InterNACHI Member

When home inspectors inspect electrical service panels they must be extremely careful. Many have been killed or seriously injured when opening these panels. The home inspector must carefully examine the area. Which include making sure the floors or the panel are not wet. Also the inspector must clear a path so they can escape easily. In conclusion, electrical panels are dangerous and extreme caution must be taken.

Old 1/22/19, 10:15 PM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI) ®

Standard circuit breakers protect against ground faults, overloads, and short circuits. GFCIs (Ground Fault Circuit Interupter) are made to protect someone who comes in contact with a live current and a ground at the same time. To try and help against possible injury or death from electric shock, GFCIs are now added in new construction and is suggested in older dwellings.

Old 1/22/19, 10:20 PM
InterNACHI Member

As I read through the article, How to use Social Media as a Home Inspector I believe I get the overall message. That it is a must, think leads, sales, and branding. But you need a solid strategy, must make time, be consistent, and persistent, it works!

Now my problem per se, and I share this because other inspectors may relate, is that I cringe at the thought of needing to rely on social media for anything. Except in the case of remembering ones birthday. If I am a one-man show, exactly how do I stop to snap quality videos and photos of me in the moment while I'm working? Not to mention, will potential clients, agents, whoever be engaged and eager to hire me if it appears all I do is snap horror photos and videos for my social media pages while on-site. Or do I hire a friend to handle photography?

Social Media is a tricky realm for me. It seems to require a balance of appearing as a local expert having many past satisfied clients. Being well known (popular) and well received in the community. And of course, showing people a sneak peek into lifestyle through great content.

This is why I keep reminding myself that "I have to play to the percentages" and network heavy. I know I need the social proof as some people use this to deem one as trustworthy, or worth following, etc. Do I want to generate leads using social media platforms, promote my brand, or who I am as a business person, yes. Would it be easier for people to catch on with what a home inspection entails and what differentiates me from my competitors through using assorted quality videos and photos, I strongly believe so.

Old 1/22/19, 11:23 PM
InterNACHI Applicant

Upon opening this panel you can clearly see that there is a Square D , GE , and Cutler Hammer circuit breakers within the same panel. The main panel should only contain circuit breakers of that brand unless it states otherwise on the panel description.

Old 1/22/19, 11:25 PM
InterNACHI Member

The panel i chose to inspect is 150 amp service. The panel appears to be in functional condition and is code compliant. The 150 amp service appears to be adequate for required load of the dwelling. Note: The breakers are not labeled in the panel, recommend legend

Old 1/22/19, 11:30 PM
InterNACHI Member

I have learned that the neutral wire is commonly grounded at the pole and the house. It also acts as a support for the hot wires. I also learned that the transformer is grounded from the grounding rod. I also learned that the two 120 volt wires together equal 240 volts

Old 1/22/19, 11:34 PM
InterNACHI Applicant

Electrical service panels can be very dangerous. Practice calm steady movements and learn to avoid distractions. Before touching the panel you should make sure you have a escape path. Never open a panel if you are standing in water or if you see the panel is rusted or dripping with condensed water. Use a voltage ticker to make sure the box is safe to touch before opening. You should always wear safety glasses and gloves to protect against shock.

Need a home inspection in Wyoming? Check out InterNACHI's listing of Wyoming certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 1/23/19, 12:58 AM
InterNACHI Member

Electrical Safety:
There are many dangers when dealing with electrical current, such as overloaded circuts, misplacement and misuse of extension cords, operating outlets near water, overhead power lines, etc... anytime youre dealing with electricity always use extreme caution. Most electrical injuries and fatalities occur when people working around electricity become too comfortable and complacent and ignore their surroundings.