Go Back   InterNACHI Inspection Forum > >

Notices

Student Discussions This is a forum for discussing InterNACHI's Inspection Courses.

Old 8/29/18, 10:51 PM
InterNACHI Member

Inspection & Writing Assignment:

During my roof inspection I noticed the plumbing vent stack and boot clearly shows the damage to the rubber gasket around the PVC pipe. This will allow water to penetrate the structure causing water damage to the ceiling below as well as allowing mold to form and grow. I would strongly recommend a roofer fix this issue.

How to Perform Roofing Inspections
Need a home inspection in Montana? Check out InterNACHI's listing of Montana certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 8/29/18, 10:52 PM
InterNACHI Member

Research & Writing Assignment:

There is a growing trend with Green roofs. This goes along with the Green movement and sustainability. There are two types of green roofs, intensive and extensive. Intensive green roofs are more intricate, involving deeper soil, more variety of vegetation, and require more maintenance.

Old 8/29/18, 11:03 PM
InterNACHI Member

Article on IR Thermal Cameras. IR Cameras are a fast and simple way to find roof issues while inspecting the roof. Scanning the roof with an IR can save you time while also making enhancing your roof inspection by finding non visual moisture intrusion inexpensively compared to other methods.

Old 8/29/18, 11:13 PM
InterNACHI Member

So this picture is of a gutter that has no flashing under the under lament also there is two types of roofing material asphalt shingles and metal roofing over the top of the asphalt. At the edge of the roof the metal was not lined up properly also it hangs over the roof edge about 1 to 1.5 inches this could cause a potential problem with water run off.

Old 8/29/18, 11:22 PM
Community Guest

This chimney was 42" wide with a cricket properly installed. The flashing was recessed into the brick with counter flashing behind it. A sealant was used where the flashing was inset into the brick. The counter flashing was step flashing.

Old 8/29/18, 11:28 PM
InterNACHI Member

this essay is on chimney flashing off the picture from nachi/gallery.It shows the proper way the chimney flashing should be installed from the brick, sealant,couner flashing,and step flashing.also head flashing this is a great picture for anyone to physically get a visual on the proper way flashing works.

Old 8/29/18, 11:34 PM
Community Guest

Rockwool
Rockwool insulation is made from rock and minerals. Rockwool is made naturally during volcanic eruptions. It is used in a wide variety of applications that range from automotive application to insulation in homes. Rockwool is considered safe but can cause skin irritation. Use common sense and don't roll around in it.

Old 8/30/18, 7:40 AM
InterNACHI Member

The roof covering is a compositional 3 tab shingle with 30lb underlayments, drip edge and off ridge vents. The systems shows minor signs of wear and aging. I estimate the system to be 3 to 5 years in age. The shingles are pliable and have a good seal over 95% of the roof area. No major defects were found.

Old 8/30/18, 7:52 AM
InterNACHI Member

The chimney flashing system I reviewed has several components that allow it to work efficiently. The system has 3 major components. 1. Base flashing. 2. Roof covering. 3. Counter flashing. The base flashing of this particular system is step flashing. It is usually installed shingle style with every shingle course having a piece of flashing sealing the shingle to the chimney. The roof covering can be either shingle, slate, tile, or shake. Each course is set in mastic and covered with step flashing. The counterflashing serves two purposes. One is to seal the top of the step flashing to the wall by either being set in a riglet and sealed or set flush to the wall and compressed into a sealing mastic. Two it serves as a decorative element to trim out the roof components of where they meet the head walls.

Old 8/30/18, 7:56 AM
InterNACHI Applicant

Surprisingly, the roof at our apartment building was being done while taking this course and what I took pictures of was a roof installation that happens to be in progress. I took pictures of what appears to be stacks of clay tiles on top of underlayments for that roof. There were no flashings yet as this is also work in progress.

Old 8/30/18, 8:47 AM
InterNACHI Member

I inspected the roof for nail & proper USB installation. Nails where driven to the proper depth and protruded through the wood of the panel. The USB was installed properly and I did not see any nail misses to the rafters. Panel clips were seen to provide proper spacing of the panels.

Old 8/30/18, 8:50 AM
InterNACHI Member

I read the article: mastering roof inspections, part I. I found that in the past, shingles were also manufactured using mats made of cellulose-based materials, and these are called "organic" shingles interesting and now does explain some of the roofing that I have inspected over my years.

Old 8/30/18, 10:50 AM
InterNACHI Staff

fdnk ela ie rn t a f leen liw hri wll knfa n fdnk ela ie rn t a f leen liw hri wll knfa n fdnk ela ie rn t a f leen liw hri wll knfa n eklbalu

Need a home inspection in Montana? Check out InterNACHI's listing of Montana certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 8/30/18, 12:06 PM
InterNACHI Member

Inspecting the roof from the eaves, I was able to identify the roof covering being used as asphalt shingles, the covering is properly installed with underlayment. The shingles are in good shape and the fasteners are flush and snug with good penetration.

Old 8/30/18, 12:22 PM
InterNACHI Applicant

The picture Ive chose to comment on is a finished Spanish style roof. What I observed was a clay and tile on what appeared to have been a hip and valley roof type. Also the valley of the roof appears to have an enclosed flashing. The manufactured ridge caps also matched the material of the roof.