Go Back   InterNACHI Inspection Forum > >

Notices

Student Discussions This is a forum for discussing InterNACHI's Inspection Courses.

Old 12/10/18, 5:35 PM
InterNACHI Member

Research & Writing Assignment:

"Cool" Energy-Efficient Roofs!

"Cool", or "reflective" roofs are coatings/surfaces with much greater thermal reflection properties then standard roofs. Which translates to money savings when trying to keep a home cool during a hot day. The reflective properties are rated on a scale of 0-1, with "1" being most reflective. While there is no industry standard set to define a "cool" roof, EPA has set a guideline to which a cool roof must have a minimum 0.65 rating upon install and 0.5 rating after 3 years of use.

Need a home inspection in Montana? Check out InterNACHI's listing of Montana certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 12/10/18, 5:45 PM
InterNACHI Applicant

Inspection & Writing Assignment:

Inspection of a gable style roofing system. Architectural shingles in good condition. Roof was vented via soffit and ridge venting. There is a small area of repaired shingles on southwest corner. Proper step and counter flashing was present as well as drip edge flashing on the entire perimeter of the roof. No signs of active leaks or defects.

How to Perform Roofing Inspections
Old 12/10/18, 5:52 PM
InterNACHI Applicant

In this photo the drip edge is observed to be properly installed at the eaves. The roofing however, is not observed at this location to hang the recommended (1/2") over the drip edge - it was cut flush. This causes the water to drip right down onto the facia and can cause premature paint failure and rot, as exhibited in the picture.

Old 12/10/18, 5:54 PM
InterNACHI Applicant

I chose the "Roof Leak Path of Intrusion" image to write my essay. A leak will be observed below the actual point of intrusion. It would not be the requirement of the inspector to locate the leak, only to note the defect and mark it as needing repair.

Old 12/10/18, 6:34 PM
InterNACHI Applicant

I read the article concerning "Roof Drainage Systems". I think it is interesting that the roof pitch can be a determining factor in how the gutter is installed. The article pointed out that if the roof is too steep, the gutter may require standoffs, otherwise the water will just shoot over the edge of the gutter. It may be difficult to identify at just what angle this overshooting may occur, so it would be important to search for additional evidence such as erosion on the ground beneath the gutter line.

Old 12/10/18, 7:06 PM
InterNACHI Member

The asphalt composition shingle roof of this home had torn or split shingles visible and granule loss at the time of the inspection which may allow roof leakage. This condition can be due to a number of causes. Uniform granule loss because it being an older roof. Uniform granule loss is typical of long-term weathering. This is a natural part of the aging process and can be expected to continue slowly. I always recommend consulting with a qualified contractor before the expiration of the Inspection Objection Deadline to discuss options and costs for repair or replacement.

Old 12/10/18, 7:07 PM
InterNACHI Member

This is a home that is under construction. This is the underlayment, it is single layer which is all that is necessary for the slope of this roof. The roof will be covered in asphalt shingles, as you can see there is no drip edge installed as of yet. there is only one plumbing pipe penetration on the side of the home, and will require a boot flashing. I chose to do my inspection on a unfinished roof to show the underlayment which in my opinion is one of the most important features.

Old 12/10/18, 7:14 PM
InterNACHI Member

Chimney height: a chimney must exit the roof at a minimum of three feet. when a horizontal roof line is within ten feet of the chimney exiting the roof, the chimney should extend and additional two feet. you should always check to see that the chimney is flashed properly.

Old 12/10/18, 8:08 PM
InterNACHI Member

Gutters and Downspouts
After reading about the gutter system and how important this system really is to our residence when installed correctly and maintained, how much this system is overlooked by most homeowners even after offering a few tips, like cleaning it out, making sure it's secured and not leaking, downspouts discharge 4 to 6 feet away from foundation etc.

Old 12/10/18, 8:13 PM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI) ®

I read the mastering roof series and learned about roof systems and critical areas to inspect to perform the best inspection. I also learned about industry testing standards and how insurance companies and roofers roof inspections differ from home inspectors. There is a lot of useful information in the series and it helped me understand roof systems much better.