Go Back   InterNACHI Inspection Forum > >

Notices

Student Discussions This is a forum for discussing InterNACHI's Inspection Courses.

Old 2/17/19, 2:15 PM
InterNACHI Member

Inspection & Writing Assignment:

The type of roof covering appears to be an asphalt 3 tab shingle. The covering does not have any visible signs of wear or any noticeable defects. The penetration flashings do not have any defects, the closed valley flashing appears to be installed correctly and the flow of water runoff seams to be draining properly to the gutter system. I did not observe any signs of watermarks or apparent signs of overflow to to perimeter sidewalk. The chimney did not have any defects and appears to have been built within the local standards. While using a ladder to eave to inspect the roof edge, I did not observe any visible deficiencies in the underlying structure that would indicate swayback or bowing. The eaves appear to have at least 2 coats of paint. No rot was found or observed in this inspection. The drip edge was present and sufficient underlayment was found at the ice dam, eaves and rakes. The fascia and soffit did not have any watermarks or stains which would indicate a defect or installation issues.

How to Perform Roofing Inspections
Need a home inspection in Montana? Check out InterNACHI's listing of Montana certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 2/17/19, 2:28 PM
InterNACHI Member

Research & Writing Assignment:

In this essay, I chose to read Roofing Underlayment Types

In this section, I learned that there are three basic types of underlayment used beneath roofing materials.
asphalt-saturated felt, rubberized asphalt, and
non-bitumen synthetic.
The most common types of underlayment in steep-slope applications is black, ashphalt-saturated felt paper. The paper also comes in 15 and 30 pound asphalt paper. The higher the lbs, the less potential for paper wrinkle.

Old 2/17/19, 3:02 PM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI)

The home has aluminum gutters that appear to be properly installed. The two trees overhanging the roof have dropped leaves and debris on the roof and into the gutters. Recommend clearing the leaves/debris from the roof and gutters to allow water to properly drain and reduce the risk of leaks.

Old 2/17/19, 3:15 PM

Collar ties vs Rafter ties.
I was not aware that the 2015 building code did not require collar ties. In my area, I am regarded as the "old home inspector", so I see a lot of home without collar ties. This article explains the difference well and provides a better understanding of the difference between the two.

Old 2/17/19, 3:38 PM

It was interesting to learn that fear causes stress and stress affects balance. The use of special shoes such as Cougar Paws is very effective at increasing your confidence for walking on and staying on roofs. I have found they are not affective on new galvalume or painted metal roofs as these roofs are quite slippery.

Old 2/17/19, 6:10 PM
InterNACHI Member

The flashing where the roof meets the wall is pulling away from the house and providing a water entry and shingles are in need of replacing.I would reccomend a license roofer to inspect the roof and i also recommended a contractor to inspect the siding in my exterior part of the inspection.

Old 2/17/19, 6:33 PM
InterNACHI Member

I learned that because someone makes upgrades or improvements to the property you need to make sure its up to standards.The home owner might have good intentions with the bracing the trusses but he made the situation worse and advise him to seek advice from a professional.

Old 2/17/19, 7:02 PM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI) ®

The attached photo illustrates a gable style roof with dimensional shingles installed. The age of the roofing appears to be approximately 1/2 way through it's expected life span. The southern facing end of the roof contains a masonry type chimney that has been lined with a clay tile. The installation of a rain cap/vermin screen would be wise to help protect the interior of the chimney flue. The flashings on the chimney appear satisfactory; exhibiting both step and counter-flashings having been installed.The sealant over the flashings prevent visual verification of an installed reglet (groove cut into mortar joint where flashing is turned inward).

Old 2/17/19, 7:11 PM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI) ®

I have studied the 'Headwall Flashing' illustration. Useful information I was able to ascertain from the image includes the installation of headwall flashings which should be installed to cover the top of the roof slope and should cover 4" of the wall before the final course of shingles are installed. In addition, a double starter course should be applied at the start of the wall surface. Following these procedures will result in an installation that is less likely to leak in the future.

Old 2/17/19, 7:16 PM
InterNACHI Member

I chose to write about a chimney that has lost some structural integrity due to spalling. Spalling is caused by moisture intrusion into the brick structure. Once inside the brick, the moisture may freeze, which causes the expansion and subsequent damage to the brick.

Old 2/17/19, 7:24 PM
InterNACHI Member

I chose to write my essay on the dangers of chimney collapse and the conditions that would indicate a structurally compromised chimney. Chimneys are the largest free standing structure besides the house foundation itself. They should be built with the ability to support itself independently from the house structure. Any chimneys with visible damage, apparent leaning, or weak base should be referred to a chimney contractor.

Old 2/17/19, 7:47 PM
New User

Please Note: mbakholdin is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with InterNACHI or its members.

So upon approaching this home to start my inspection of the Roof System, I noticed that there was a tree very close to the house. As I got around to the side one of the branches was resting against the clay tile roof covering. As the wind was blowing the branch swede back and forth banging on one of the tiles. So in my report I will advise the client that the tree should be trimmed away from the house!

Old 2/17/19, 7:57 PM
InterNACHI Applicant

Attached is a photo of a portion of the roof of a HUD home that I was looking at purchasing. From the look of it, the lifespan of roof had been met. There were granules all along the foundation as the house had no gutters. I wasn't able to go into the attic to confirm, but from the evidence of lack of granules and some missing shingles, the substrate had become rotted due to excessive moisture. Recommend repair/replace.

Need a home inspection in Montana? Check out InterNACHI's listing of Montana certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 2/17/19, 8:04 PM
New User

Please Note: mbakholdin is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with InterNACHI or its members.

I studied the article titled "Mastering Roof Inspections: Tile Roofs, Part 1" About Tile roofs. In this article I discovered that clay tiles have one of the highest rating for their ability to resist hale damage. Depending on the tile they can have a Hale Rating from 3 to 4, 4 is the highest resistance to hale. I have always like Clay tile roofing and their hale resistance just makes them even better!

Old 2/17/19, 9:05 PM
InterNACHI Applicant

After reading the article on H-clips, inspectors need to very clearly understand their local building code requirements before adding verbiage to their report whether they were required during the construction of the home. Otherwise, the use of H-clips can help the roof sheathing to be less flexible even with using thinner sheathing. Additionally, the H-clips can help to solidify the roof sheathing to promote less buckling and warping of the surface.