Go Back   InterNACHI Inspection Forum > >

Notices

Student Discussions This is a forum for discussing InterNACHI's Inspection Courses.

Old 3/21/19, 3:11 PM
InterNACHI Member

Research & Writing Assignment:

I looked at hail damage photos, and learned that asphalt shingle damage cause by hail is from not only the compression force of the impact but also the tension force stretching on the bottom UNSEEN portion of the shingle. This damage is usually identified by the indention and granules knocked lose around the edges.

Need a home inspection in Montana? Check out InterNACHI's listing of Montana certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 3/21/19, 3:59 PM
Community Guest

Please Note: brodgers is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with InterNACHI or its members.

Inspection & Writing Assignment:

Inspecting this roof and gutter I observe debris from the 3-tab roof in the gutter. I will annotate the debris and make recommendation to the client have a roof professional look further at it because we are in Colorado Springs. I will also annotate if I notice any leaking on the sealing or any other indications of roof issues as I go further into the inspection.

How to Perform Roofing Inspections
Old 3/21/19, 4:05 PM
Community Guest

Please Note: brodgers is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with InterNACHI or its members.

I looked at the three pictures of the chimney and the locations and names of the different flashing. I thought that this was an excellent resource for me to physically see the names and locations of the flashing. I like this kind of helper to get me through the areas that I'm weak in.

Old 3/21/19, 5:21 PM
InterNACHI Member

The roof is a gable style roof covered with asphalt/fiberglass shingles.The roof shingles,flashing and chimney were all observed with binoculars from the ground.There are black streaks and some moss growth,moss growth tends to hold moisture and should be cleaned off

Old 3/21/19, 6:57 PM
InterNACHI Applicant

A home inspector is required according to InterNachi's standards of practice to inspect flashing at the roof and the exterior. Flashing and kick-out diverters help to prevent water from working its way through your roof and into your home, and redirects water away from the joint and down into the gutters. If not installed or improperly installed water runoff can get inside the wall and cause serious damage.

Old 3/21/19, 7:44 PM
InterNACHI Member

Guttering
The guttering on the covered patio is good condition with no apparent holes or defects,it is one continuous length of guttering, with a drip edge is installed under concrete tiled roof, and the downspouts have secure fastenings and straps on this section.

Old 3/21/19, 7:55 PM
InterNACHI Member

Roof was observed from roof, roof edge, ground elevation and through attic access panel. The roof
coverings consist of shingled slopes. No visible signs of leakage or water intrusion were noticed. No
moisture or soft spot detected. The roof covering appears to be in satisfactory condition.

Old 3/21/19, 8:12 PM
InterNACHI Applicant

This a static vent which creates an opening for hot air and moisture to escape. The vent has been installed near the roof ridge. Rusting is visible at the top edges and base of the vent. Roofing tar is alligatoring.

Old 3/21/19, 9:10 PM
InterNACHI Member

Masonry Chimney inspection comprises of several criteria
(1)Is it of sound construction.
(2)Are the flashing installed correctly Apron,step,cover & head flashing.
(3) is the chimney correct height on comparison to its location on the roof.
(4) if stone or brick or other masonry product, are the mortar joints good or any spalling or other weather related defects.
(5) stucco finish, any visible cracks or water intrusions.
(6) Does the flu project the correct night.
(7) chimney crown is in good condition with drip edge.
( is rain cap present and secure.

Old 3/21/19, 9:16 PM
InterNACHI Member

The roof panel sheathing is what the underlayment, shingles, drip edge, etc are attached to. The sheathing is nailed to the rafters or beams via 8 penny nails or 8 penny nails that are flanged at the bottom for added security in high wind areas such as Florida. Fasteners are spaced six inches apart at the edges and twelve inches along the supports. The nails/fasteners should be driven flush with the sheathing,but not overdriven either. Twenty-four inches is the usual spacing of the rafters or beams. The sheathing should run perpendicular to the rafters.

Old 3/21/19, 9:29 PM
InterNACHI Member

I chose to research the article on House Numbers. I've seen house numbers on homes but never understood the importance until reading this article. While some areas make it a law and regulation to have a certain size house numbers on your house so law enforcement and firefighters can locate houses quickly. I now understand the importance of house numbers and support any laws and regulations regarding them.