Go Back   InterNACHI Inspection Forum > >

Notices

Student Discussions This is a forum for discussing InterNACHI's Inspection Courses.

Old 10/11/18, 3:53 PM
InterNACHI Member

Inspection & Writing Assignment:

Discoloring and water marks are signs of the gasket is not working properly and could create further damage and other problems if not replaced or repaired by a plumber. It is a good practice to install plastic drains and not metal under sinks.

Residential Plumbing Overview for Inspectors Course
Need a home inspection in Florida? Check out InterNACHI's listing of Florida certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 10/11/18, 4:11 PM
InterNACHI Member

I have chose to discuss the hot water heater. An hot water heater brings cold water in through the dip tube and heats inside of the tank. Then hot water rises in the tank and is moved throughout the home. Inspections should include but not limited to, checking the TPR valve, checking for any leaks and improper connections.

Old 10/11/18, 4:16 PM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI) ®

An S style trap was identified under the kitchen sink. S style traps are not recommended as the siphoning effect can break the water seal. Recommend changing to a P style trap to prevent siphoning, and to maintain the water seal so harmful sewer gases will not enter the living space.

Old 10/11/18, 4:20 PM
InterNACHI Member

Research & Writing Assignment:

My essay will be on dryer vent safety. It should be installed behind the dryer and not be restricted so not to have it get kinks in it or get the air flow cut off. Dryer vents have to be maintained and work properly to alleviate the potential of starting a fire.

Old 10/11/18, 4:28 PM

Polybutelene (PB) piping was used as piping for interior plumbing systems between 1978 and 1995. PB is no longer used today as this type of piping has been known to be defective and cause leaking, which subsequently resulted in extensive water damages. If PB piping is identified in your home, it is recommended that you replace the piping as a preventative measure against water related damages.

Old 10/11/18, 5:58 PM

This image shows the water line with a pressure regultor that is defective filling with water and dripping onto the floor area and also onto the newly installed sump pump wiring harness. It is recommeneded for further evaluation by a professional due to possible moisture and water damage

Old 10/11/18, 6:08 PM
InterNACHI Member

The image above is for a bathroom sink over flowing also noticed a leaking in the Faust, also inspected under the sink found this trap instead of P-trap plumbing , further evaluation by licensed plumber is recommended. Also noticed a crack on the left side of the tub sink next to faucet at the time of inspection .

Old 10/11/18, 6:21 PM

When I inspect a sump pump I look at the pit size that extends through the slab and into the ground below to allow a drainage place for eccess water. Accumulated water can cause interior damage andencourage mold mildew and fungus. Pump sshould be maintained and equipped with alll the necessary components in order to ensure reliability

Old 10/11/18, 8:07 PM
InterNACHI Member

Termite control in the home. All chemical sorry treatment with treatment must be approved by the EPA a agency that applied in accordance with the EPA label instruction . Termites are the most damaging insect of what their presence is hard to notice and then he is he usually find before the termite RC do you always need a professional pets control service . Signs of termite usually is presence of swarming termites in the windows or near indoor lights theyre found inside the house almost always mean that they have invested . Control measures our Seal opening through the foundation seal all windows doors .

Old 10/11/18, 8:19 PM
InterNACHI Member

For the inspection and writing portion of the residential plumbing overview course, I took a picture of the hot and cold water supply lines and stops feeding my kitchen sink. The lines are made of 1/2" PEX piping and are color coded corresponding to the hot and cold lines. While to my knowledge not a listable defect, I believe from use that the lines should have a support brace located near the stops to prevent the sagging that is evident from the picture. There is also a T in the hot line to branch out and supply the dishwasher. All three lines do have indepent stops for servicing of the fixtures.

Old 10/11/18, 8:26 PM
InterNACHI Member

For the research and writing portion of the Residential Plumbing Overview course, I read the artice on NACHI.org about anti-scald valves. This article explained the need for these fixtures and their process for regulating waer temperature at individual fixtures or the whole house, depending on installation. This article did prompt me to check if the fixtures at my house have them installed.

Old 10/12/18, 12:16 AM
InterNACHI Member

A clothes dryer vent pipe is for the home owners safety. It releases hot air and lint to the exterior of the house, so there is no build up inside that could possibly lead to a fire. It should be no more than 25 ft in length and no less than 4 in in circumference.

Old 10/12/18, 12:19 AM
InterNACHI Member

Most water heater tanks are steel with a thin glass lining to protect the metal from corrosion. Since the lining eventually cracks, tanks have a second line of defense against rust: a long metal anode rod that attracts corrosive elements in the water. When the rod itself becomes so corroded that it can no longer do its job, the tank soon rusts out, leaks and needs replacement.

Need a home inspection in Florida? Check out InterNACHI's listing of Florida certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 10/12/18, 1:51 AM

This is an inspection image of a leaking drain pipe tail piece that a home owner installed himself at an inspection that I done. I labeled this as a defect in my report and recommended repairs be made by a licensed plumber.

Old 10/12/18, 2:14 AM

The article Sewer gases in the home.. The article mentions several different gases which can come from the sewer into your home and can be dangerous to your health as well even being explosive such as methane gas and hydrogen sulfide. Some of the mentioned gases at certain levels can even attack nerves that can cause you to loose your sense of smell